• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Looking for comments/suggestions about what type/brand name/model of small fish finder to buy for use in a small 14 foot fishing boat. Probably something that I could also use on a bigger boat I also have - probably to be mounted at the front. This would mean the transducer would not be permanently mounted.

Thanks in advance

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I have one on my 14' john boat that I picked up new that I have been TOTALLY IMPRESSED with. It was only like $80.00 i think it is a Hummingbird Piranha?

We took the boat up to Wisconsin on a fishing trip to some small lakes that we couldn't use the big boat on and this thing blew me away for the price. We were vertical jigging in 30' of water for walleye and every time I pulled my jig up to rebait and drop it back down I was getting an arch line on the screen. This thing was picking up a 1/4oz jig head as it descended to the bottom....I was impressed.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I’d like to stay under $200. The reviews I’ve read about the Piranha 4 are pretty good. There seem to be several models of the Piranha starting at just below $100 going up to about $200. The Lowrance Hook 3x also seems to get some good user comments - the price point is around $100.

As mentioned, the unit will be switched back and forth between two different boats so I can’t permanently mount the transducer. I think to get that with the Piranha it drives the price up to around $150-$160. The Piranha has a little bigger screen than the Lowrance which is a better feature - but apparently at a premium.

Not sure if I’m answering my own question here - just trying to sort out all the advertising hype by the manufacturers.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I just installed a Hummingbird on my 14' jon. It was 80 bucks on sale at Cabelas. It has down imaging feature that looks like a picture or you can flip it to sonar.

Neat but not necessary to catch fish. Better for lakes I think. I generally fish rivers and never used it. Recently took a lake trip and it was a nice tool to have. Was able to locate some hump that were holding fish. Still got skunked, wind blown, and rained on.

I have had other Hummingbird units. All user friendly. I would go for the less is more approach. Keep it simple.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I will step up for the LAST time this Christmas.I still have a couple of Lorances,and a couple of Hummingbirds.I Thought they worked till I got to use a Raymarine Dragonfly.They are the Ticket.They are $600.00.BUT. BUT...BUT.........it WILL be the LAST one you ever buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.They have GPS,satilite uplink,so you can view any lake in the USA,while setting on your lake.2 kinds of Sonar,(imaging,and the Chirp is unreal:yesway:),600 ft depth.My friend got stuck in the fog on Maxxy last fall,and used the GPS to drive from CMA (peasoup fog) south accross the lake,thru the channel ,to the Marina,and to the ramp.He said he could not see 5 ft.All my old stuff is going in a box and on the shelf. Mom,that is the same technology.Raymarine have just stepped into the freshwater market.They have made deep sea equiptment for years.Let us know how that thing works out!

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I will step up for the LAST time this Christmas.I still have a couple of Lorances,and a couple of Hummingbirds.I Thought they worked till I got to use a Raymarine Dragonfly.They are the Ticket.They are $600.00.BUT. BUT...BUT.........it WILL be the LAST one you ever buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.They have GPS,satilite uplink,so you can view any lake in the USA,while setting on your lake.2 kinds of Sonar,(imaging,and the Chirp is unreal:yesway:),600 ft depth.My friend got stuck in the fog on Maxxy last fall,and used the GPS to drive from CMA (peasoup fog) south accross the lake,thru the channel ,to the Marina,and to the ramp.He said he could not see 5 ft.All my old stuff is going in a box and on the shelf. Mom,that is the same technology.Raymarine have just stepped into the freshwater market.They have made deep sea equiptment for years.Let us know how that thing works out!

We used the Striker 7 all season since he got it back in February or March. It is great. He is not computer literate at all...can't even turn my laptop on, but with a bit of You Tube training and assistance from me, we got the screens customized with the settings he felt he would use most, and he absolutely loves it. The 7 is a bit over the budget stated in this thread, but the 5 is pretty close and can be bought with the same features for less money and works the same...just a smaller screen. My husband needs reading glasses for close up so the bigger screen allows him to view it without needing to put his glasses on. He loves using the waypoints to remember where he found the honey holes on previous trips to the various lakes he fishes around here.

Top Bottom