• ...and so much more!
  • Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Can I use a .30-06 for deer this year?

Just kidding.

Has anyone been able to determine how the 10 round rifle rule limit works? For example, if I have a box of .308 (20 rounds), I take it with my rifle out to my buddy's property, load 2 mags of 5 rounds each, then leave the box of remaining 10 rounds in the truck, while I take the other 10 rounds with me in the woods.

Is this legal? It says you can't have more than 10 rounds while hunting. But when does "while hunting" start? When you leave the house, or leave the truck, or what?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I do not know for sure but I was asked to show what ammo I had on person by a CO last season. I had 8 rounds on person in the field. Even told him the 44 mag pistol and the rest of a box of Winchester white box was in the car. As I asked about the pistol having 6 rounds if that made only four available in the rifle. So it appears what is on your person while hunting.

His answer to the pistol question was it was it depends on it you said it was personal protection or hunting. All seems so stupid.

So take the two mags and leave the rest in Truck.

To me the ten round rule rule is to keep say a 30 round mag of an ammo out of the field. Maybe I am wrong.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Well, I guess a catch-all would just be to tell the CO that you're hunting coyotes. I mean, prove I'm not.

I'll probably just take the 2 mags with me. I only need one shot per deer :)

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I do not know for sure but I was asked to show what ammo I had on person by a CO last season. I had 8 rounds on person in the field. Even told him the 44 mag pistol and the rest of a box of Winchester white box was in the car. As I asked about the pistol having 6 rounds if that made only four available in the rifle. So it appears what is on your person while hunting.

His answer to the pistol question was it was it depends on it you said it was personal protection or hunting. All seems so stupid.

So take the two mags and leave the rest in Truck.

To me the ten round rule rule is to keep say a 30 round mag of an ammo out of the field. Maybe I am wrong.

As I understand it the "ten round rule" does not pertain to PCRs.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The CO said that was considered a grey area.

It wasn't grey when the original PCR proposal went through. There were no limits as there were no limits on shotguns either. The opponents tried to make that a negative saying we would be "John Wayne Wannabees" and do some rapid fire with our lever "cowboy" guns ala The Rifleman. Did the legislators mess that up too?

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Just how many deer does one intend to put down while on a morning or evening hunt? I intend to put 3 in the magazine of my Ruger American, with 5 in the butt pouch. Enough to last me for a buck and some does with out having to worry about my on person ammo supply.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    You know, I am not a sharpshooter or anything, but I would think 10 rifle rounds is a lot of ammo for deer hunting, if you need 10 rounds, I think that you should be practicing more or adjust your max range to 100 yards.A ethical kill at 50 yards is better than spray and pray at 200yards , IMO.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The CO said that was considered a grey area.

Grey area only of the CO has no grey matter.

10 round limit like Willie says, was for HP rifle, not PCR.

Handicapped folks with a box of 20 in the truck............hunting from vehicle................that might be the only snagger.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't go into the woods with less than 5 rounds.
    Even when hunting w a single shot.
    Coyotes don't get a pass, plus stuff can happen.
    5-10 rounds on person, with the intent to take one deer.......should be plenty.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm thinking of just leaving a trail of mags along my trip to the stand and back. :)

All of the above posts, including CO's making "judgement calls" in the field, are a perfect example of why this ammo count regulation is so messed up.

It is understood that the idea is to learn bubba's not to do full mag dumps at deer in the woods.

There is more than one way to do it. Haven't bird hunters had shells in the gun restrictions for years and years?

There should be no such thing as any govt agency restricting the amount of rounds an individual may carry on them. Restrictions on rounds in the gun and or rounds in magazines are fine. They have no business dictating how many rounds may be carried separate from the gun or mag.

Do the CO's search packs, pouches and bags the same as they do coolers to count fish?

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My CO in Madison county (a young guy) only had me empty the gun. No pockets ect. Never asked if I had any more rounds. Been hunting that same ground for 40 years family owned land. Never have had a CO come to me before this. Actually I thought it was my cousin driving to get me out of the field.

Just your normal CO on a fishing run. I will admit the area has had some poachers doing some night car spoofing and shooting the last few years. Still this is private property but I guess do you have a warrant does not cut it for them.

I am am not bad mouthing the guy. Seemed ok just doing his job looking for violating the rules. I asked him point blank about 10 rounds of 44 mag. Grey area was all he said in return.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Now in-and-of-itself, this is a good discussion, just so everyone reading it understands the rules.

But yeah:

You know, I am not a sharpshooter or anything, but I would think 10 rifle rounds is a lot of ammo for deer hunting, if you need 10 rounds, I think that you should be practicing more or adjust your max range to 100 yards.A ethical kill at 50 yards is better than spray and pray at 200yards , IMO.

Hehehe.... Well said, Mr. Dan.

Good lord, carrying the slug guns most of us grew up with, we only ever carried 4+1 and maybe 4 or 5 in the pocket of our jacket...

...so why is it suddenly an imposition to not be able to carry a rifle loaded with 19+1 and 4 spare mags in a chest rig?

-Nate

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I only carry 1 round in my slug gun per day ;)

seriously, I’m camping out for several days, with a deer bundle, and more anterless tags ifbI fill those. Plus coyotes if I see one, etc.

I obey the rules regardless of what they are but I find it ironic that I read an argument on ingo that the rules limiting ammo is supported. What’s next? Someone here arguing 10 round mags are enough? Who really needs an assault rifle? Shouldn’t private sales require a background check ;)

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I only carry 1 round in my slug gun per day ;)

seriously, I’m camping out for several days, with a deer bundle, and more anterless tags ifbI fill those. Plus coyotes if I see one, etc.

I obey the rules regardless of what they are but I find it ironic that I read an argument on ingo that the rules limiting ammo is supported. What’s next? Someone here arguing 10 round mags are enough? Who really needs an assault rifle? Shouldn’t private sales require a background check ;)

That is the way I see it... I's not what we "need" to deer hunt, it just big government saying what we can have.. This ten cartridge limit was one of those trade offs to buy votes in the senate. You all would have loved the one amendment that a deer hunter had to be 10 foot up in a stand to even use an HPR.. That one got shot down..

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I find no logical reason why the number of rounds should be dictated by the government ( I.e. legislators) - but then again I don’t often find any logic in legislators.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I find no logical reason why the number of rounds should be dictated by the government ( I.e. legislators) - but then again I don’t often find any logic in legislators.

I agree with this.

But the reality is that, from a practical standpoint, it's not really going to matter. It's not like deer will stand still and give you 10 chances at it. So, in effect, having 1000 rounds for your .30-06 in the woods doesn't give you a better chance at getting a deer than 10.

At least it's not like some states that require a 3 round magazine and nothing else, I guess.

It's the same old story--of all the laws in the world, the ones surrounding firearms make the least amount of sense. .30-06 is legal for squirrel on public land, illegal for deer. Buying a gun is easier than buying the device that makes the gun quieter. 16" barrel length is fine for an AR, but illegal for a 12 gauge. And then, every rule that exists in Illinois.

Top Bottom