• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I dug up half of my two year old horseradish last week. I processed some of the smaller roots at that time. Last evening I made a bigger batch with the rest, this time incorporating apple cider vinegar and sugar to go along with the salt. this turned into around a pint and a half of moist mix.

Came up with a dandy scrambled egg/horseradish with swiss cheese and bacon recipe. Also had some slathered across the top of a grilled ribeye last evening. :drool: Consequently, I have a recipe of mashed sweet potatoes with horseradish that's going into the compost. :(

I'm looking to work it into my diet for the health benefits and to regularly use this supposedly invasive crop.

Just wondering if INGOers have any favorite recipes involving horseradish?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    When I worked at a restaurant in Indy they made this cocktail sauce for shrimp that was mostly horseradish. It was ridiculously tastey. I dont have the recipe but im sure you could find something like it online. I do remember that along with the the actual horseradish they used extract to give it that extra pop. I used to just slap it on buttered rolls.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    When I worked at a restaurant in Indy they made this cocktail sauce for shrimp that was mostly horseradish. It was ridiculously tastey. I dont have the recipe but im sure you could find something like it online. I do remember that along with the the actual horseradish they used extract to give it that extra pop. I used to just slap it on buttered rolls.

I've "crab boiled" panfish fillet chunks to use as a shrimp cocktail like appetizer, served with cocktail sauce.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I had an uncle that made homemade horseradish. It was delicious, made your eyes water and cleared your sinuses.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I dug up half of my two year old horseradish last week. I processed some of the smaller roots at that time. Last evening I made a bigger batch with the rest, this time incorporating apple cider vinegar and sugar to go along with the salt. this turned into around a pint and a half of moist mix.

Came up with a dandy scrambled egg/horseradish with swiss cheese and bacon recipe. Also had some slathered across the top of a grilled ribeye last evening. :drool: Consequently, I have a recipe of mashed sweet potatoes with horseradish that's going into the compost. :(

I'm looking to work it into my diet for the health benefits and to regularly use this supposedly invasive crop.

Just wondering if INGOers have any favorite recipes involving horseradish?

I have a three-year old clump of horseradish in a raised bed that I didn't get around to digging last year. I've been planning to dig it up when I get the chance, but I've never done it before. I've seen a couple of Youtube videos, and it doesn't look that difficult to do. Where did you get your method/recipe? Did it smell up your whole house when you processed it?

Also, I make my own cocktail sauce and it's a family favorite, heavy on the horseradish. I start with a couple big spoonfuls of horseradish, then add a tablespoon or so of Worcestershire, and a splash of lemon juice, and maybe a little bit of Franks red-hot, then I stir it up and start adding ketchup until it gets to where I want it. Once you get it dialed in the way you like it, you'll never want store-bought cocktail sauce again.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a three-year old clump of horseradish in a raised bed that I didn't get around to digging last year. I've been planning to dig it up when I get the chance, but I've never done it before. I've seen a couple of Youtube videos, and it doesn't look that difficult to do. Where did you get your method/recipe? Did it smell up your whole house when you processed it?

Also, I make my own cocktail sauce and it's a family favorite, heavy on the horseradish. I start with a couple big spoonfuls of horseradish, then add a tablespoon or so of Worcestershire, and a splash of lemon juice, and maybe a little bit of Franks red-hot, then I stir it up and start adding ketchup until it gets to where I want it. Once you get it dialed in the way you like it, you'll never want store-bought cocktail sauce again.

I'm gonna try your cocktail sauce recipe. All my recipe ideas came from YouTube/Google searches.

Supposedly the heat of the horseradish is controlled by how long after processing (5-10 min) before you add vinegar. Another heat controlling measure is how much sugar you add. One vid specifically said the heat can pretty much all be offset with enough sugar? :dunno:

This is what I put together for the last batch in the vitamix:
    2 c horseradish after grind
    1/8 c sugar
    fairly long grind of pink sea salt
    ~1 c acv

It's still plenty hot, for me anyway. I wanted to leave room to add sugar, if needed.

I topped another steak with a couple tablespoons of the stuff (and a dab of A-1.) It was great with a couple of waves to the nostrils occasionally. Plenty tolerable until you get a bit much at once. Horseradish heat seems to effect the sinuses vs capsaicin effecting the mouth.

Unlike hot peppers, horseradish heat dissipates quickly with a breeze. You can walk or wipe the heat away somewhat. Yes it smells up the kitchen, not near as much as capsaicin though. It also goes away quicker. After walking away, you can walk back.

Supposedly horseradish is invasive and any bit of roots missed digging will turn into new plants. We'll see.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm hoping to have time to dig mine early next week. If the ground doesn't freeze before then.

Some of the stuff I read suggested waiting until a freeze or two happened to harvest. :dunno:

Latest mix wasn't bad:

1/4ish c prepared mustard
    TS horseradish mix
    2TS bread and butter jalepenos

Pretty good on top of a couple of swiss cheeseburgers.

AndrewG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2016
    Brownsburg
    Does horseradish grow feral in Indiana? I had some in my old garden that I planted from a root I bought at Kroger and it did well. I foolishly did not take a start when I moved. I have not scouted for any but should be easy to pick out.

Ilove fresh horseradish. Just don't peek into the blender after grinding - takes your breath away

- - - Updated - - -

Does horseradish grow feral in Indiana? I had some in my old garden that I planted from a root I bought at Kroger and it did well. I foolishly did not take a start when I moved. I have not scouted for any but should be easy to pick out.

Ilove fresh horseradish. Just don't peek into the blender after grinding - takes your breath away

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I finally had the time this afternoon to dig my horseradish. When I dug it, I found that I should have pulled it up and separated it after the first year. My one plant, put in four years ago had grown into several big gnarly tops all grown together and I wasn't able to use as much of it as I had hoped. But I still got over a pound of good peeled and chopped root.

I did the peeling and chopping in the kitchen, but I moved out to my breezeway with the food processor. Even holding my face back when I took the lid off to scrape down the sides, the vapors were still almost over-powering. I used parts of several recipes, including yours BWframe, thanks. After grinding, I let it set for almost ten minutes for maximum heat before I added the vinegar, and ended up with five half pint jars of creamy white, smoking hot horseradish. I plan to give my kids each a jar with their Christmas gifts.

Tomorrow, I'm going to replant as many of the root crowns as I can in a different raised bed with a looser, deeper soil. Maybe I'll get more thicker roots next time.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    It likes moisture and tolerates shade. Grandpa used to grow it on the north side of the barn. We always ground it on the back porch. It will clear the kitchen like a can of pepper spray. I didn't find it particularly invasive. If you mow it too often it will die. Good stuff.

Testing
    AjibBln.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I grew horseradish at our last home and harvested every other year, preparing and freezing small jelly jars that would last through each time I made it. t did great in a flower bed below a couple crabapple trees with sun all day.
    I brought a root with me to my new place, but it'll be a while until I'm back in the home made horseradish business. I need to find a better place for it.

Favorites =
    Fresh root, shaved with a peeler, on hard boiled egg
    Prepared with vinegar, salt & mustard, on beef; steak, burger, doesn't matter.
    Prepared as above and mixed 50/50 with mayo, for dipping ham pieces in.

Top Bottom