• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well, yesterday was opening day for firearms. It was a complete wash-out in my area. I mean literally.
    We had thunderstorms so bad it knocked out power in several areas and torrential rains.
    I didn't even go out. Not only did I not want to sit in the rain, I would have had to field dress it in the rain too. No thanks.

I passed up opening day because of bad weather. That's like sacrilege to me, but that's how it went.
    I went out this morning with high hopes and I was not disappointed.

Sat in my home-made ground blind for just less than 1 hour when 2 doe came in close.
    As I stated in another thread, I hunt deer. Antlers are a secondary consideration for me.
    I want meat for the freezer.
    I had a deer license bundle in my pocket and a brand new Marlington 336 in .35Remington in my lap when the 2 doe walked in.
    Both are now on the back of my truck waiting on the butcher to open.
    The first was a fair size doe, the second one was small, but will be tasty.

Took both doe in one setting.
    Head shot on the first and high lung shot on the second.
    Neither went more than 10 feet, and they ended up about 40 feet apart, and only 20 yards from the road.

I still have one tag left on the bundle.
    I'll save it for next weekend.

Happy hunting guys and gals.
    Hope you all have the same success.

This is the second time in about 4 years that I took two deer with a lever action rifle just seconds apart.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Love the lever action for hunting or about anything but benchrest or prone.
    Now the 35 rem have been using it (starting with a contender pistol) since the 1980’s. Hits much harder than the ballistics tables show. The dirty thirty on steroids.

An in law got his doe this am. I heard 8 shots. I think he either needs practice or another cup of coffee. He stated that it was twenty yards away ran after first shot and died after jumping the fence. Just wondering about the other 7 rounds including a reload since he uses a twenty gauge auto loader. Wondering if any of the other shots were hits at all. He said the wind was shaking the tree to much.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My brother just called to tell me that I chased off the largest buck he has ever seen on the property we hunt when I shot the two doe.
    He said it was easily a 12 or 13 pointer.
    Twenty minutes later though, he hit the second largest buck he has seen on the property.
    Said it was a monster 9 pointer.

I hope Thanksgiving day (weekend) will bring back that big 12 pointer...

Top Bottom