• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Oh how I love jerky. Am waaaay too cheap to buy it. Borrowed a dehydrator to make some. (get enough made and I'll go get another deer or two). Favorite seems to be mild flavored stuff -- like teriyaki.

What kind you like? How do you make it?

YUM!

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    The chefs cut thick stuff is amazing. I don’t care what flavor. The stuff that’s so tough you have to tear it is a little much for me.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I made some goose jerky last year with a cabelas brand "hot-n-spicy" that turned out real tasty and I would buy that flavor again. Most all homemade recipes online are worth experimenting with.

After slicing the meat into strips, a half hour ice bath and then drying out the meat to room temp allows the meat to season better and hold the taste.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I love Teriyaki jerky. I usually search around for a recipe online that sounds good, or the Cabelas mix is pretty good. My real weakness is snack sticks. I have 5 pounds vacuum sealed and in the fridge waiting to share with people on Thanksgiving. Every time I open the fridge it takes immense willpower not to cut them open and eat them! The current batch is 2.5 pounds of venison brats(no idea what seasoning the butcher used, somewhat similar to breakfast sausage) and 2.5 pounds of brats from the hog we had butchered last fall(very mild seasoning). Me and my wife love grilling brats, but for some reason once she got pregnant back in February she couldn’t stand them. That’s why I am using brat meat to make snack sticks.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I used ground meat with a jerky gun. No more slicing for me.

I had never heard of these before. A quick look and they are basically caulk guns. Looks interesting.

Do you have the plastic or metal variety?

I already have a dehydrator so I might just give this a shot.

thindman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Indy
    I make my own jerky in my electric smoker. Usually make a sweet/hot and a teriyaki version. Had some awesome pork bbq jerky from a place in Michigan and it was some of the best I’ve ever had. It was from the Dublin General Store.

br9x

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Noblesville
    I really enjoy using the ground meat with a jerky gun. I use a metal gun from Cabelas. Love the Backwoods brand of seasoning mix they have alot of different types of seasoning. My favorites are original, hickory and misquite.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    When I had time for hunting, I used to make a lot of goose jerky. My wife buys me some Korean barbecue flavored pork jerky every time she goes to Costco that is pretty phenomenal. I'd like to be able to recreate it, may do some experiments in the future.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Back when I was making it used my electric smoker for awhile then finish off with dehydrator. The caulk gun did ok with deer meat on the offset wood smoker.

I quit because it takes forever and the outcome I could eat in a sitting. Buy from local butcher shop now. Almost as good tasting and my day is free to be.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I use the jerkey gun with ground beef or ground venison (venison is better tasting in my opinion). Mix in the seasoning packet and the cure packet. Put it on the dehydrator for about 4 hours and it's perfect. My kids eat it faster than I can make it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    As far as store bought, I love this stuff.

hot_jerky-128__55644.1485908003.490.381.JPG

I can’t stand the over-processed and tenderized “jack links” type stuff. Jerky should take some chewing.

Aflac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I use a jerky gun, plastic set that I got from Rural King. It has always worked fine. I also use my own spices and just mix in cure. Let it sit over night in the fridge and then dehydrate in the oven. Always tasty.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I like the original flavor from Nesco/American Harvest mix. I also add a little liquid smoke. I prefer thin strips of whole meat, but hate taking the time to cut it thin. I need a meat slicer. I usually just use ground venison because I’m lazy!

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    with the jerky gun and ground meat, what is the consistency of the jerky? I am used to whole meat pieces and am too cheap to spend on a jerky gun without a clue as to the texture.

Seems like now is the time to buy (Black Friday timing).

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Just my opinion, but strips from a jerky gun are not as good as sliced meat. You can find a hand crank slicer for a good price. The key I learned on the slicer is to slice it while the mead is good and cold so it won't stick to the blades. You can run a whole steak or breast through in a couple cranks and have perfectly cut drying strips.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I compare the ground meat to the stuff like Slim Jims. It tastes the same, just crumbles and chews up easily. I like to chew on the the whole meat pieces.
    Also with the whole meat pieces, I have had luck putting the chunks of meat in the freezer for a while to get them cold and stiffer, but not frozen. Then slicing with a knife or slicer is a lot easier.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I compare the ground meat to the stuff like Slim Jims. It tastes the same, just crumbles and chews up easily. I like to chew on the the whole meat pieces.
    Also with the whole meat pieces, I have had luck putting the chunks of meat in the freezer for a while to get them cold and stiffer, but not frozen. Then slicing with a knife or slicer is a lot easier.

This. Damn near frozen, but not. I bought a cheapo slicer that gets the job done. When I was still in the restaurant business, I would use the Hobart at work to crank out perfect 1/8” slices.

Top Bottom