• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yesterday, I got my first deer and decided to put the gut pile to use. I set up a cheap harbor freight motion detector beside the pile and went to bed. About 1:30 in the morning, I wake up to the alarm going off, fire up the thermal, open my window, and drop it from about 50 yards. My kind of hunting!

2exao9k.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The web is your friend. A tanning cream can be used on thin skinned furs. There is also the brain tanning and the battery acid.
    skin and flesh that hide today. Then salt the skin. You will have a good week while the salt works. You can decide on the method you want to go with. Save the brains if you want to brain tan. Acid based (lye or battery acid is normal in the kits. ) each works but skinning and fleshing our is the important.

https://www.braintan.com/articles/furs/miller1.html

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Ain't no one got time for that! I have zero patience for something as involved as tanning. So, either my daughter finds someone or I sell it to a fur buyer.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Yesterday, I got my first deer and decided to put the gut pile to use. I set up a cheap harbor freight motion detector beside the pile and went to bed. About 1:30 in the morning, I wake up to the alarm going off, fire up the thermal, open my window, and drop it from about 50 yards. My kind of hunting!

2exao9k.jpg

Congrats on the fox. I can't help you with the tanning on it.
    Have you ever called in a fox? I love watching those eyes "Hop" to the call. Some of them even bounce it seems.
    They're always fun to catch them sunning on a cold day. They really stand out with the snow as a background.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    No, I've never called one in. We've been calling with rabbit in distress and we've only got coyotes to come in.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    No, I've never called one in. We've been calling with rabbit in distress and we've only got coyotes to come in.

Those work great on 'yotes, don't they!? Back when we hunted in dead winter in Wisconsin, the same call would bring in 2-3 rabbits as well. They try to find and 'silence' the wounded bunny.... by stomping it to death with their rear legs/feet.... in an attempt to keep coyotes from finding all of them. Nature is a strange and wonderful thing.

Top Bottom