• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I feel sorry for Mr Stratton, and hope his injuries are not too serious.

But, who in the heck gets ready to disembark from a tree stand.... without UNLOADING the gun, completely??? Even if you are just heading down to walk 20 yards 'down wind' to relieve yourself.... don't leave your gun loaded, even if leaving it in the stand till you get back. I mean, that's just common sense, to me.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    But, who in the heck gets ready to disembark from a tree stand.... without UNLOADING the gun, completely??? Even if you are just heading down to walk 20 yards 'down wind' to relieve yourself.... don't leave your gun loaded, even if leaving it in the stand till you get back. I mean, that's just common sense, to me.

So this is an awkward one for me.

First, I generally agree with you. But, it can come at an opportunity cost.

A few years ago, I had done what you described and was waiting to get picked up, with an unloaded rifle. WAY after I thought there was any chance that anything was around, and after making some noise getting out of the tree and getting to the pickup spot, all of a sudden the game came almost right up on top of me. As I chambered a round, it ran off before I could even take aim.

I'm not sure which of us was more surprised at the encounter! :)

I got a fair amount of ribbing for not having a round chambered all the way up until the time I got picked up.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I hope it was peasant load. Either way, I wouldnt want any parts of that.

I hope you meant Pheasant load... Because peasant loads in most shotguns are buck shot of some kind.

Anyhow - it wouldn't have been any "shot" load. He was in a stand. He was hunting deer. It was a slug.

Dude'll be lucky to A) have a leg and B) walk without aid ever again.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    An investigation found that Stratton's 12-gauge shotgun discharged as he was grabbing a soft case that was hanging on a branch next to his tree stand ladder. The safety of the gun was off and the gun was pointed towards him when the gun discharged.

So was his loaded shotgun in the case? Guess I'm trying to figure out the angles for a better understanding of what happened.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I got a fair amount of ribbing for not having a round chambered all the way up until the time I got picked up.

And there are safe ways to accomplish this also: unload, check chamber, check it again, dismount, reload.
    I feel your pain, but you can always remind your buddies that you didn't shoot your dick off while waiting to get picked up either...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    And there are safe ways to accomplish this also: unload, check chamber, check it again, dismount, reload.
    I feel your pain, but you can always remind your buddies that you didn't shoot your dick off while waiting to get picked up either...
    Indeed.

And, I hate making a rule for the exception. All the hours that I've spent hunting, the man-hours my friends and family have spent hunting, and this is the only anecdote that even REMOTELY justifies keeping a round in the chamber.

I'll gladly give up that one opportunity to avoid bleeding from my femoral artery (or worse).

Top Bottom