• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I was visiting with my neighbor to the south today while we were out at the property. He tells me this fall every time he checks his trail cams one of these show up.

bobcat_2017.jpg

He thinks this one is around 45 lbs. Big for a Bobcat.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    The OG asked if they are protected in Indiana. I don't know and haven't looked it up yet. Yes? No?
    You can get a nuisance permit from the dnr if they are screwing with livestock, but that's it for now. Indiana is considering a season in the future.

I'm in owen co also. I've got a few pics of one that big too.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have one location where I average about 3 bobcats a week throughout the fall when I run a trail camera there. This is probably the heaviest cat I've gotten photos of so far. I had the camera watching the carcass of a doe that the neighbor lost on our property and this was just one of about 6 adult cats that scavenged the carcass in the 5 days it took them to pick it clean. While I had dozens of bobcat photos, crows were the only other scavengers that made an appearance.
    CDYi0003.JPG

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I have one location where I average about 3 bobcats a week throughout the fall when I run a trail camera there. This is probably the heaviest cat I've gotten photos of so far. I had the camera watching the carcass of a doe that the neighbor lost on our property and this was just one of about 6 adult cats that scavenged the carcass in the 5 days it took them to pick it clean. While I had dozens of bobcat photos, crows were the only other scavengers that made an appearance.
    View attachment 61479

Did you see all 6 adult cats at one time or could you tell that there were 6 different cats by their markings? Because Bobcats are typically solitary animals. The females especially are solitary because they will fight over their territory. Sometimes males will tolerate each other. Usually Bobcats are only in packs when there are young ones. If there were 6 adult cats they would probably be fighting over the carcass.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Did you see all 6 adult cats at one time or could you tell that there were 6 different cats by their markings? Because Bobcats are typically solitary animals. The females especially are solitary because they will fight over their territory. Sometimes males will tolerate each other. Usually Bobcats are only in packs when there are young ones. If there were 6 adult cats they would probably be fighting over the carcass.

All of the adults were singles except for one female with two nearly grown kittens. Size, markings, coloration, and times of appearance were all used to differentiate along with the kittens setting the female apart of course. Interestingly, all of the photos were night photos and most them were separated by at least a couple hours.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Having been mercilessly mauled by a number of wild as hell barn kittens, whose weight was in ounces, I can't imagine the damage a 45 pound one could do.:n00b:

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    171020_003early bobcat.jpg caught and released this cat in parke co. 10/18/2017. word from ind. furbearer biologist is they are trying to get a limited season for 2018 or 2019 starting in 32 counties in So. west ind. owen co. will be the farthest north. DNR is about 5 years late IMO.

Top Bottom