Where would be a good overnight "bushcraft" location?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Looking for a place to do a day-stay, minimal modern tools, just bushcraft sort of stuff, little to no chance of civilization getting in the way... don't want to run into anyone else.

Anyone done that sort of thing in Indy? Any suggestions on good places to do an overnight camp in the sticks?

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    :popcorn:
    Are you looking to build a mud hut or something? Or just make fire?

Would cutting trees down cause issues in state parks?

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    There are hundreds of thousands of acres of state and federal land south of Indy where you could get away from everyone. You just have to be willing to put in the effort to get off the beaten path.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    :popcorn:
    Are you looking to build a mud hut or something? Or just make fire?

Would cutting trees down cause issues in state parks?

Heh, nah... just campfire, tarp tent/hammock sort of thing.

There are hundreds of thousands of acres of state and federal land south of Indy where you could get away from everyone. You just have to be willing to put in the effort to get off the beaten path.

I'll check into that.

German ridge area leave the trails and find a area then you can run around all “Bear style”

I'm not quite at the point of drinking my own **** though :/

Hoosier National Forest has some very secluded parts that sound like they would fit the bill, especially now that firearms deer season is over.

Are these sorts of areas "okay" as far as civilian camping, fires, etc?

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Heck, in the Hoosier National Forest, you are allowed to hunt and rough camp. Take a .22 along with your gear. Squirrel season is in.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I live on land next to the HNF, it's rare when you see people. Right now until turkey/mushroom season you won't see anybody and there's no tick problem.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My son and I have hiked a couple of the more southern trails in HNF and we've also camped in HNF just southwest of Columbus. I have a nice Tyvek map of HNF that points out the hiking trails and camping spots. It's a National Geographic map - Hoosier National Forest Trails Illustrated Topo map. If you know where you're going, and you want to be as isolated as you can within an hour or two drive, HNF is what I'd do. You don't even have to use a camp site, you can strike off in the woods and find your own camp spot (but it helps to have the map so you know you're still in the HNF.

Most of the State Parks will have an RV or two in the RV area, but most likely nobody in the primitive spots. Advantages of the State Park is that you'll have, at least, a pit toilet nearby in case the beanie weenies don't sit well, and you can camp near the car so you don't have to pack everything too far (this helps for more inexperience people, especially in the cold weather when you will want more gear). Disadvantages of the state parks is that any given weekend, you may have RV campers with barking dogs, screaming kids, bad guitar playing and drunk singing.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Look up Rattlesnake Campground. It has a one holer with no water or electric. Have to drive through the creek to get there.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Look up Rattlesnake Campground. It has a one holer with no water or electric. Have to drive through the creek to get there.
    This area is covered up with hunters until deer season is over. Forget about going here unless you dress up like a pumpkin and like various mag dumps from all directions. It is not big enough to get away from the hunters either.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom