• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    My neighbor is so "afraid" of coyotes that she had her brother in law put snares all along our fence line. So far, she caught a neighbors Siberian Husky on Saturday, much to the owners dismay. Then, last night about midnight, I had to get out of bed to investigate a dogs distress barking, and I found another neighbors German Sheppard that was barely alive, caught by one of the snares. The funny thing is that both dogs were on MY side of the fence, getting caught as they traveled from HER property onto mine. I live in the country, and we all let our dogs run free, even her. I hate to see dogs hurt and killed, but I guess it is her right.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My neighbor is so "afraid" of coyotes that she had her brother in law put snares all along our fence line. So far, she caught a neighbors Siberian Husky on Saturday, much to the owners dismay. Then, last night about midnight, I had to get out of bed to investigate a dogs distress barking, and I found another neighbors German Sheppard that was barely alive, caught by one of the snares. The funny thing is that both dogs were on MY side of the fence, getting caught as they traveled from HER property onto mine. I live in the country, and we all let our dogs run free, even her. I hate to see dogs hurt and killed, but I guess it is her right.

Mark my words. She will only learn when it kills one of her dogs. Everyone else? Just unfortunate collateral damage.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Snares have to be checked daily and doesn't Indiana require them to be relaxing snares?

i do not know what a "relaxing snare" is, but I do know that the snare was so tight on the German Sheppard last night that I had to cut the wire. He was scared, and I was afraid that he was going to bite me, but I think he knew I was there to help him.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    She thinks they will attack her or her dog or cat, or her two chickens in a very nice enclosed pen. She hears the coyotes howling at night and freaks out. She also freaks out when she finds tracks in the mud.

Well in THAT case... you need a pair of these for the next time it rains.

984x588-YRC3GQdNuyT3HRQm.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Snares have to be checked daily and doesn't Indiana require them to be relaxing snares?

Not required to be relaxing in IN. IN snare laws are actually very relaxed. Don't even require deer-stops or anything really. It's a free-for-all.

That being said, it's simply irresponsible to set snares where dogs may get in them, or on shared fences without consulting the neighbor. Last year when I set snares for the coyotes I consulted the neighbor on our shared fence even though her house was over half mile away.

It sounds to me like the neighbor is being reckless/careless. There are other ways to keep the coyotes in check.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    The funny thing is that both dogs were on MY side of the fence, getting caught as they traveled from HER property onto mine. I live in the country, and we all let our dogs run free, even her. I hate to see dogs hurt and killed, but I guess it is her right.

The snares are on your side, and yet you've left them up?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Cant let it go. Folks need to keep their canines at home where they belong. PROBLEM SOLVED!

How do I force my country neighbors to keep their dogs home? The Siberian Husky, by the way, had escaped from a completely fenced in yard on Saturday. The owners stopped by my house Saturday afternoon and asked if they could search on my property. I said yes, and offered to help. It did not take us long to spot it sprawled out along the fenceline in the snare. I think the indiscriminate killing nature of the snares is the problem. I know one local farmer who uses them, and both of his dogs and one of his cats all have three legs from getting caught in HIS snares. Last year I found a fawn strangled to death in a snare.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    How do I force my country neighbors to keep their dogs home?

I'd let them know that your neighbor has snares and if they don't want their animals to die in one of them, keep them home. If they don't want to do that you might ask them to send you pics or descriptions so you know who to call to come pick up their dead pets.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I'd let them know that your neighbor has snares and if they don't want their animals to die in one of them, keep them home. If they don't want to do that you might ask them to send you pics or descriptions so you know who to call to come pick up their dead pets.

What about fawns and other "non target" species?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    She thinks they will attack her or her dog or cat, or her two chickens in a very nice enclosed pen. She hears the coyotes howling at night and freaks out. She also freaks out when she finds tracks in the mud.

You realize that coyotes have attacked and killed a fair number of dogs and attacked more than a few humans right? Cats are a particular favorite snack of coyotes but I have trouble holding that against them.

Top Bottom