• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    One of our family farms is a county away, we don't live there and can't watch over it like we should. This farm was purchased 30+ years ago and has been surveyed twice. Sunday evening my Dad (owner) was out for the final day of firearms season. At about 5:20 prime time, a quad came down through the woods b line to a stand that was placed on our cornfield. Dad, wanting to see who this was, walked up to the stand.

The guy asks Dad what he is doing, Dad explains he was trying to enjoy the last evening of season until a quad came through the woods to him. This random dude goes on to explain that the stand is his cousins (owner of neighboring property) and that he was checking to see if his cousin killed anything. He then questioned Dad on how he knew he was on the right property. Dad is easy-going and one thing that really pisses him off is to question his ownership of property. This questioning will throw him into a rant about paying for two surveys, 3 decades of ownership and paying property taxes. Wish I could've been a squirrel on a tree and heard that blow up.

Yesterday evening I met Pops out at the farm to re-mark the property line, the orange t-posts weren't enough, and remove the stands, one stands 400+ feet over the line, another 30 feet. We didn't take the stands, just placed them across the line on the atv road the guy made. On our way out I found a trail camera on a scrape on out another 100 yds onto our property. Before I head home I swing up the owners house to give him the camera and explain what is going on.

He went on to say that he does not hunt or own a stand, and that the guy is not his cousin. Just the neighbors boy that lives in Columbus. Needless to say the owner is now pissed that this all took place and went on to explain how he showed him the lines and informed him that the stand he had 30' from the line was on us not him. Based on the neighbors demeanor I think this dude mighta lost his hunting spot. In addition to bending the truth he was dumb enough to put his name inside the trail camera cover and write "Do not steal you bastards" I got it for now, tried giving it back to his mom but she wouldn't answer the door.

People amaze me.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Some people seem to think anything outside of someone's actual yard is all indian land that anyone can use.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Notify the sheriff of what happened. That way if dude comes back, there is already a report. Also bolo for shennanigans. He may come back and start cutting fences, dumping ****, stealing stands, etc.

It may be worth telling the dnr also.

I also own property away from home. The easiest way for me to keep an eye on it is to let a neighbor hunt it. He's thrown a few people out each year for me.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Sounds like there is a good chance he's lost his ability to hunt there. Unfortunately, as happens way too often, these idiots screw it up for everyone else in the process. I'm sure the neighbor will think twice before allowing anyone else to hunt their property now. This is why we can't have nice things.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have a BIL just like this guy. He thinks mushroom hunting gives him license to go on anyone's land. He was visiting the MIL over by Valpo and decided to go 'shroom hunting. He was outraged that a guy pulled a gun on him when he showed up in his back yard and then told him he didn't have the right to any mushrooms growing there. He even argued with they guy and got offensive until the homeowner offered to call the police for him. I tried to explain to him what an idiot he is but it's a useless endeavor.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    These stories have convinced me that I can't afford to buy a piece of land until I can also afford to install a substantial fence around its perimeter.

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    I got a text from a neighbor asking me to bury the gut pile for any deer that I kill. The reason is her dogs eat the guts and get worms. I did create a gut pile this year, thank you, but it was well inside my property lines. So I wonder why hers dogs are on my property eating my gut piles and worms. I'll be nice and talk to her about it, besides I park in her driveway while I'm hunting.

Walking Bear

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2017
    Floyds Knobs
    My father in law has 100 acres in Orange Co and he lives in Floyd. I hunt there and have encountered hunters that do not belong. The area is posted but I guess people can not read.... It never ceases to amaze me the level of stupidity of people. I always carry my pistol when down on the property. I am not stupid

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Owned my ground before I lived here and had all the same problems. Now that I live here there are less problems but they are the same type.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They are parasites and the penalties are far, far too lenient. I gave up hunting for 17 years because I didn't have anyplace decent to go and my attempts at using public ground were beyond comical. I cannot fathom having the brass ones to walk on to someone else's property without permission to hunt or search for mushrooms, ginseng or sheds. Unfortunately there are plenty of thieves and lowlife scumbags out there who feel differently. We live well over an hour from our lease and it's picked clean before we can get there every single year.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    On the positive side, I was able to find all the good mushroom spots early on by finding the large concentration of beer cans. First year after I bought the land I found over 20 beer cans in a space about 30 yards square. That told me something.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I hunt 47 acres my FIL has given me permission to hunt. The neighboring property is leased out to a couple douche bags that get confused on property lines. They have signs up pointed to where I hunt but cant mange to stay behind them. This year they didn't explain to me I was hunting on "their property" I cleared that up last year. But they did put a tree stand up right in front of my ground blind and opening morning I was pissed off looking at that orange hat floating above my blind. I decided opening morning wasn't gonna work out and set up a shooting range in the field near where I have that ground blind. Last time I checked that blind the stand was gone.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Things can get 'sketchy' in the woods. Be careful out there.

I was sitting a bear blind in CO in the way back machine. It was just getting light when another hunter over the way got bored and decided to shoot a rabbit with a 7mm Mag (several times). So much for hunting that day, went back to camp for grub and drinks. Didn't see any reason to address it with the loon as the hunting that day was already wasted.

As always, any day hunting is better than any day working whether you bag anything or not.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I hunt 47 acres my FIL has given me permission to hunt. The neighboring property is leased out to a couple douche bags that get confused on property lines. They have signs up pointed to where I hunt but cant mange to stay behind them. This year they didn't explain to me I was hunting on "their property" I cleared that up last year. But they did put a tree stand up right in front of my ground blind and opening morning I was pissed off looking at that orange hat floating above my blind. I decided opening morning wasn't gonna work out and set up a shooting range in the field near where I have that ground blind. Last time I checked that blind the stand was gone.

My son and I gave up hunting a nice area for similar reasons. My BIL owned the land, and I knew he was very non-confrontational (and I guess the neighbor guys knew it too) and I didn't want to make waves so we quit hunting there.

Top Bottom