• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am looking for suggestions, recommendations, and referrals about where and how to find a trained hunting dog. Thinking about hunting small game.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Pick a target species of game to hunt. Then pick a dog breed that is bred for that purpose. Then pick a trainer and send him your dog and a lot of your money.

Some breeders will train your pup from the get go, but it is far from cheap.

Here's a great lab breeder and trainer. I hunted with 2 of these dogs. Crazy good labs.

TRAINING

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Small game is still a pretty general term. Can you narrow it down a bit? Just like guns, hunting dogs can be tools, and different breeds will be better suited to different types of hunts.

My Dad used to train Brittanys and compete with them at field trials. They're awesome pointers which is great for a bird dog, but they'd be ill suited for a squirell, rabbit, coon or hog hunt.

I love Brittanys since I grew up around them. They're loyal, smart and highly trainable. But if you don't plan to hunt pheasant or quail you probably want to look at a different breed.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Small game is still a pretty general term. Can you narrow it down a bit? Just like guns, hunting dogs can be tools, and different breeds will be better suited to different types of hunts.

My Dad used to train Brittanys and compete with them at field trials. They're awesome pointers which is great for a bird dog, but they'd be ill suited for a squirell, rabbit, coon or hog hunt.

I love Brittanys since I grew up around them. They're loyal, smart and highly trainable. But if you don't plan to hunt pheasant or quail you probably want to look at a different breed.

Why would Brittany's not do well on quail? I could see them being a little too close working for pheasant but they would be nigh on to perfect for quail in my experience.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Why would Brittany's not do well on quail? I could see them being a little too close working for pheasant but they would be nigh on to perfect for quail in my experience.

I was saying Brittany are good on birds. They are not a good choice if he doesn't plan to hunt those.

We used to train our Brittany's using quail. We would keep them caged and seed the fields to teach the dogs to pick up the scent and learn to point.

The quail coop in the basement is still a topic that sends my mom over the edge when we bring it up. One of the reasons she and my dad ultimately ended up divorced.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I was saying Brittany are good on birds. They are not a good choice if he doesn't plan to hunt those.

We used to train our Brittany's using quail. We would keep them caged and seed the fields to teach the dogs to pick up the scent and learn to point.

The quail coop in the basement is still a topic that sends my mom over the edge when we bring it up. One of the reasons she and my dad ultimately ended up divorced.

Sorry. Re-read and i got confused, apparently. My apologies.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Yes small game is a puzzler. Many breeds not traditional thought of as hunter breeds make get small game dogs. The plain old farm dog was made over time to be small game guard and company for humans. No real breed to speak.

Some of it will depend on how much time you have with the dog. Will the dog be family or kennel dog etc.

small terriers will attack chase anything that moves have a good nose and although very hard headed are easy/willing to train.
    I have not seen them used on birds. Squirrel rabbit coon possum skunk and coyotes. The Airedale terriers were trained out west they would truly bring in coyotes to range. Jack russels and fiests true hero's on barn and lot coons. With coons and barns it is best to have two dogs. Most terriers require constant attention. Like a three year old on a sugar high all day and night.

We had a west highland terrier that would do groundhogs rabbit tree rats and did great blood trailing wounded deer. (May SID RIP) for a terrier he was a very chilled dog. An hour of tieme in the am with a ball outside and 20 minutes at night. He was like a shadow asways there next to me. Hunted very close a trait I love.

To me a bird dog is not a small game dog but a bird dog. Total different style dogs and training. Best I ever saw at it were GSP and brittneys all kennel raised. Petting GSP's make my hands break out.

Bassets and beagles are best on rabbits. Both will follow the trail of the nose. This includes trash left overs other dogs walking around the yard within the last 60 days. They also have an oil on the fur that makes them smell. Bassets are hard to train. Beagles seem smarter than bassets but work much faster and I like the slower approach bassets give. The basset nose is what leads the whole dog.

one of the best hunting dogs I saw work small animals was an down under cattle dog. That thing was a true hunter of anything that moved. Very strange for a herd dog.

Most breeds were were made to hunt guard herd or be companions. I like those with hunt and companion wit a bit of guard and herd mixed in.

If o got a true small game dog today I would try a feist dog and teach it to stay close. Any dog can do.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks. The learning begins.

The biggest thing is to decide which species you are trying to target. Once you've established that you can narrow down your breeds quite a bit.

IMO:

Rabbit hunting is best done with a Beagle.
    Squirrel hunting is best done with a Feist/Terrier mix
    Bird hunting is best done with a Brittany.
    Coon hunting is best done with a Walker.
    Duck hunting is best done with a Labrador retriever.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    From my experience you really need to get specific with what you want to hunt with the dog. When I was a little feller my dad had Brittanys and he mostly hunted Pheasant (mostly in Iowa) and quail (down south). Most birs hunters I have known always say the bird population dropped significantly after the '78 blizzard. By the time my brother and I got to go hunting he had gotten away from bird hunting becauae it was too expensive (travel costs). We have been hunting mostly rabbits since I was 9 and have had Beagles since I was 11. There are different bloodlines that tend to dictate if a dog will be slower more close working or fast and rangey (bred more for snowshoe hair). Bassets are just too slow for my taste. I had an English pointer to hunt birds with several years ago. Dad tried to talk me out of it (I should have listened). That dog was the most hard headed stubborn animal I have ever seen. So decide what you want the dog to hunt and the look at breeds and trainers

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I've have gone through this issue three different times. I like to hunt upland and waterfowl. So a versatile hunting breed makes the most sense for me. Lots of dogs fit this description, but I also wanted a pointing dog for quail and pheasants. That was a must. And if you hunt those two birds around here, you need a pointer.

Lots of dogs point.

Will the dog be an inside or outside dog? If inside then you had better research the breeds and come to a better idea what you are getting into. I learned with my 2nd dog that a super hunter, high strung dog isn't so great in a confined area.

My first dog was a Weimaraner. Terriffic dog, smart, beautiful, friendly and a pretty good hunter and retriever. Dog made a 1/4-1/3 mile retrieve on a duck in a lake with no problem.

2nd dog was a Vizsla. He was a freak show. Was like velcro in the house. Had to literally be touching you most of the time. High strung, jumping, bouncing, flying around. But was an all day hunter with a terrific nose. Didn't like the water much but would retrieve.

Current dog is Braque Francais. Smallest of the three. Super cool in the house. Unbelievable pheasant dog. Great water retriever. But for quail not very good. He doesn't like the thorns. We get into good quail territory in the brambles and he bails. Out in pheasant ground in open grass he's a champion. Will hunt squirrels and rabbits too.

As a house/hunting dog is easily the best because the house part is far more important because that's 90% of his existence. Not a demanding dog of attention but will let me know when he wants some work. The other dogs would simply become destructive when they were bored. Eating a table or couch, chewing up my wife's underwear or garbage from the kitchen. Never had any of that with the latest dog. Might just be the dog but don't thin so.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Fixed this for you....

Bird hunting is best done with aLABRADOR RETRIEVER

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Seriously, Bapak and At the Murph are steering you straight. Pick your game, pick a breed that is good for that game, then find a good trainer and breeder. Here is how I ended up with my Lab, Thor:

I wanted to hunt upland birds and waterfowl. We wanted a dog that was good in the house, a good watchdog and a snuggle buddy. I called a trainer I knew was very good near Warsaw, Ray Weaver. Ray heard what I wanted and located a litter whose mom was a pointing lab and Dad was a field trial champion. We looked at the litter, picked the #2-#3 most adventurous pup. #1 would likely be a great hunter or field trial champ, but not great inside due to a "HYPER" hunting drive. I took the pup home right at 7 weeks. Week 7-14 are the crucial weeks for a dog imprinting on you and for learning. I took all my spare time with the pup to drive around and watch trains go by, watch road construtction, go to the trap range and hear shotguns (from 50 yards away) all while being pet and fed kibble. I also took him for his first swim in a pond: I walked in with waders and let him just follow me and start swimming. I then had him go after a tennis ball which he retrieved immediately. I also wore camo and hid from him in the grass and trees at a park. As soon as he turned around I would hide and then toot a whistle to help him find me. Now when he heats me trill the whistle he is conditioned to come find me.

After 5 months of this and teaching basic obedience, retrieving, house manners, etc. I sent him to the trainer for specific training using live birds, launchers, etc. the trainer had. 2 months later, he flushed and retrieved his first pheasant. Since then, he has retrieved doves and waterfowl, flushed and retrieved pheasant, quail and grouse and dug up a few dozen softballs around the park. Great travelling buddy, and member of the family when he's not hunting. It's a lot of work and commitment to own and work a smart hunting dog, but worth every bit of $$ and time if you love the sport.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Seriously, Bapak and At the Murph are steering you straight. Pick your game, pick a breed that is good for that game, then find a good trainer and breeder. Here is how I ended up with my Lab, Thor:

I wanted to hunt upland birds and waterfowl. We wanted a dog that was good in the house, a good watchdog and a snuggle buddy. I called a trainer I knew was very good near Warsaw, Ray Weaver. Ray heard what I wanted and located a litter whose mom was a pointing lab and Dad was a field trial champion. We looked at the litter, picked the #2-#3 most adventurous pup. #1 would likely be a great hunter or field trial champ, but not great inside due to a "HYPER" hunting drive. I took the pup home right at 7 weeks. Week 7-14 are the crucial weeks for a dog imprinting on you and for learning. I took all my spare time with the pup to drive around and watch trains go by, watch road construtction, go to the trap range and hear shotguns (from 50 yards away) all while being pet and fed kibble. I also took him for his first swim in a pond: I walked in with waders and let him just follow me and start swimming. I then had him go after a tennis ball which he retrieved immediately. I also wore camo and hid from him in the grass and trees at a park. As soon as he turned around I would hide and then toot a whistle to help him find me. Now when he heats me trill the whistle he is conditioned to come find me.

After 5 months of this and teaching basic obedience, retrieving, house manners, etc. I sent him to the trainer for specific training using live birds, launchers, etc. the trainer had. 2 months later, he flushed and retrieved his first pheasant. Since then, he has retrieved doves and waterfowl, flushed and retrieved pheasant, quail and grouse and dug up a few dozen softballs around the park. Great travelling buddy, and member of the family when he's not hunting. It's a lot of work and commitment to own and work a smart hunting dog, but worth every bit of $$ and time if you love the sport.

Thanks for the lesson.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013

Bird hunting is best done with aLABRADOR RETRIEVER

Sorry, but if I want to kill quail, grouse, and pheasants anywhere near Indiana a lab just wont do. It also wont have that style or build the anticipation that a rock solid point holds when in the prairie grass.

With a lab in pheasant ground you'd best wear your track shoes. Dog on bird, dog runs after bird, bird flies away 100 yards ahead.

Now I have killed many different birds over labs, but over a pointing dog is an entirely different game.

View attachment 62347

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Sorry, but if I want to kill quail, grouse, and pheasants anywhere near Indiana a lab just wont do. It also wont have that style or build the anticipation that a rock solid point holds when in the prairie grass.

With a lab in pheasant ground you'd best wear your track shoes. Dog on bird, dog runs after bird, bird flies away 100 yards ahead.

Now I have killed many different birds over labs, but over a pointing dog is an entirely different game.

View attachment 62347

Been my experiece too. Labs tend to flush birds wildly and give chase on a running bird. If a pheasant feels the pressure he will run out of range before flushing. I like a bird dog to absolutely lock up on point. Just based on my bird hunting experiences I really like hunting with Brittany's and German short hair's. Dad used to have Britt's and hunted wild birds over them in Iowa. It was always beautiful when they locked up on point and you could see their muscles quivering in anticipation of the flush.

We've had Beagles for years now so I can offer some advise on them too if needed. The pair we have now are almost too fast. They come from a bloodline that primarily have been bred for snowshoe hair.

Top Bottom