• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    More liberal spending,, Hunters would have paid for the priviledge...

(BLOOMINGTON) - A deer cull at Bloomington's Griffy Lake Nature Preserve is expected in next two months.

Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department Natural Resources Manager Steve Cotter says it depends on the when White Buffalo Inc., a nonprofit wildlife management company based in Connecticut, will be available and weather conditions.

In August, the Bloomington Board of Park Commissioners approved contracting the firm to conduct the cull at an amount of up to $35,000 to remove up to 100 deer between now and Feb. 28. The contract also state is there is continuous disruption to the effort for more than 24 hours White Buffalo will be compensated. The city will pay White Buffalo $1,000 a day, up to a maximum of $5,000.

Officials say the cull is necessary to help thin the deer population because they are harming vegetation and the ecosystem in the nature preserve. Opponents argue nonlethal methods need to be researched and there is not enough evidence of a serious deer problem and damage to the vegetation. They also claim the city is paying White Buffalo too much money.

Cotter says notifications will be around the preserve the day it begins or shortly before.

www.wbiw.com/local/archive/2017/12/deer-cull-at-griffy-lake-nature-preserve.php

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    $350 bucks per deer. Dammer, sign me up!!! Pathetic libtard decision, The state parks control their population with HUNTING, as should griffy lake NP. If I were paying taxes in Monroe county, I would be an irate resident at the waste of money.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I watch the woodlots and fencerows being torn down. I see fewer and fewer deer. I'm not sure the deer population is the one that needs controlled.

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    Agreed. A lot of hunters would have paid for the opportunity. They would have probably needed a lottery to decide who gets the opportunity to hunt there.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They must have taken cues from Indianapolis. Indy signed a 4 year contract to do the same thing at Eagle Creek Park for between $30k - $40k per year. Most ridiculous BS I've ever heard.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    How about the fact they do not have to obey our Indiana Game laws - .223 rifles and they say they're preferring "head shots". Illegal caliber, immoral and unethical method of kill. And pay a fortune to have them bring it here. Typical Bloomington. All they have to do is contact DNR and have it set aside for urban deer reduction zone - archery only. Safe, ethical, free to the city.

I guess bow hunting is "mean". Over paid Connecticut riflemen blowing the jaws off bambi is righteous.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    How about the fact they do not have to obey our Indiana Game laws - .223 rifles and they say they're preferring "head shots". Illegal caliber, immoral and unethical method of kill.

Over paid Connecticut riflemen blowing the jaws off bambi is righteous.

Ehm. Have you shot many deer in the head? It doesn't take much. .22LR is wonderfully effective in the right place, and despite what I say about the 45mm/3/8" casing elsewhere, the .223 is PLENTY of round for the cranial vault of a deer.

I've had the good or bad fortune to have shot them several cartrdges, and frankly there's really very little observable difference between those rounds when they are put through the brain...

...and a GOOD Shooter with a PROVEN rifle doesn't have much risk of blowing jaws off. I won't try to stand in judgement of it's righteousness.

With my little bit of experience with coyotes, I can say it would also probably help to be doing it at night.

As you said above, I have significant doubt that the contracted business has to follow game laws at all, since Eagle Creek has been hunted suppressed, and out-of-season, several times. Can't speak to the night hunting, but it wouldn't surprise me.
    I know you guys are upset, and I understand, but there's probably no angle here. I'd let it go.

-Nate

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    $35,000 paid to a hunting firm. I wonder how much of that gets kicked back under the table to those signing the deal?

I am sure I could hire 3 or 4 "hunters" for a week to shoot a lot of deer for $2 or 3 grand. All I need is to have one former Special Ops guy on the payroll for marketing purposes and every liberal enclave in the US would hire me.

Top Bottom