• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I decided to throw together a 300 BLK pistol for the last week of rifle season. My upper arrives tomorrow and I’m trying to decide if I can run a Vortex Spark. If any of you use a red dot for hunting, what’s the max range you would go with it? I’ve never hunted with a red dot, but would prefer not putting a scope on my 8.5” upper. Any thoughts, insight, or experience would be appreciated.

phSnnoq.jpg

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have shot out to 200 yards accurately with an eotech on an ar without issue. I regularly shoot my 45acp ar pistol out to 170 with a vortex spitfire 1x and am able to keep 8/10 rounds on a paper plate. Distance shouldn't be an issue as 150 - 175 is generally considered the ethical range limit for 300blk.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I have a 10.5 300BLK pistol with a Primary Arms Micro Dot, also a 2MOA. I have taken 2 deer at 65 yards without hesitation. I would probably feel comfortable out to 120 with it.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I shot a doe at 60-70 yards with a Sparq on a 458 Socom this year. I have old tired eyes and wouldn't have wanted to very much farther.

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    I have a 300 Blackout pistol with a sparc that I hunt with. I zero at 70 yards and am able to hit plates at 600 meters easily with Barnes supers....
    For deer keep your shots at 200 yards or less.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Is that a SB PDW... I've been on the fence for what to do with my INGO Lower and waiting for after Christmas to p/u the SB-PDW.

Thanks QUE, now I know what to do with it... Nice looking setup.

We have both 10.5" 300 and 16" 300 BO and you can easily, repeatedly ding steel at 50,100, and 150. Very accurate, very forgiving round to reload.
    Mostly load 125g...

:ingo:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    You will be fine with the Sparc out to roughly 200 yards. After that it will get real touchy real quick.

I would estimate after about 75 yards you will wish you had some zoom, but it wont get "challenging" until roughly 150 yards, and wont get "hard" until 200 yards.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Is that a SB PDW... I've been on the fence for what to do with my INGO Lower and waiting for after Christmas to p/u the SB-PDW.

Thanks QUE, now I know what to do with it... Nice looking setup.

We have both 10.5" 300 and 16" 300 BO and you can easily, repeatedly ding steel at 50,100, and 150. Very accurate, very forgiving round to reload.
    Mostly load 125g...

:ingo:

Yes and and I really like it. I have an SBR in jail right now and I’ll never take that route again.

5uDAiM6.jpg

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You will be fine with the Sparc out to roughly 200 yards. After that it will get real touchy real quick.

I would estimate after about 75 yards you will wish you had some zoom, but it wont get "challenging" until roughly 150 yards, and wont get "hard" until 200 yards.

I went with the Spark AR. Saturday or Sunday is he last day of rifle season, so hopefully I can take something and try it out.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Que, that looks great! I think you’ll have no problem with a red dot out to 100+ yards. Much beyond that will depend on skill level and comfort level with ethical shots, though no doubt the 300 round is certainly capable of at least 150 yards. I used a .44 with buckhorns for plenty of years though, and rarely felt the need for a better sighting system, and I limited myself to about 75 yards. I was usually in the woods though.

I finally got a 300 blk 8” upper for my AR pistol. I am setting it up for suppressed hog hunting, but I’ll probly use it for deer next year.

Be sure to post some pics if you land a deer with it!

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I am relatively new to hunting, so forgive my ignorance.

But I thought firearm was Nov 18- Dec 3. So isn't that season over? Muzzleloader ends on the 24th. Then if your county has the bonus season, it starts up on the 26th.

I would also like to know more about using 300 blackout out of a pistol since it is a rifle cartridge. I did some research, but just got confused. The regulation page it says, "A rifle with a barrel less than 18 inches is not considered a handgun." Am I just thinking too hard?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine

But I thought firearm was Nov 18- Dec 3. So isn't that season over? Muzzleloader ends on the 24th. Then if your county has the bonus season, it starts up on the 26th.

I would also like to know more about using 300 blackout out of a pistol since it is a rifle cartridge. I did some research, but just got confused. The regulation page it says, "A rifle with a barrel less than 18 inches is not considered a handgun." Am I just thinking too hard?

Q doesn't live in IN.

In IN, firearms season is out, but bonus antlerless comes back in the day after Christmas.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Q doesn't live in IN.

In IN, firearms season is out, but bonus antlerless comes back in the day after Christmas.

He's not in Indiana.

Rifle with less than 16 inches equals SBR. Not handgun.

Handgun equals handgun.

:yesway:

Top Bottom