• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Road side signs showing up all around Martinsvile wanting to stop the improvement in Yellow Wood. The tree hugging leaf lovers are out there in force.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Road side signs showing up all around Martinsvile wanting to stop the improvement in Yellow Wood. The tree hugging leaf lovers are out there in force.

I've seen quite a few up here in Indy. I honestly had no idea what they were about until this thread.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I wish the dnr would have let the loggers cut all the trees the idiots marked, trying to postpone the logging, that would have been great.

One of the libtards has a lumber business, selling hardwood lumber, he offered to buy the timber for $150k and let the trees stand. They should have took the offer then fine him for buying timber without a license.

The majority of the population is is pro management the problem is the libtard s are more vocal.

I'm a forester and behind the state all the way. I'm happy I don't work for the state and have to deal with what they do.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You'd think a tree is like some of these peoples' children. It's a plant. A new one will grow back. The old ones can be made into cool stuff...like houses. This crap just drives up the cost of the things they can be made into.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The tree huggers have RUINED the Ruffed Grouse population in Indiana as well(by stopping the clear cutting of forrests). I used to see lots of Grouse, and have only seen one in the last ten years.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Ok, to take this thread on a new tangent:

It brought back memory from...er...40+ years ago when one of the local DNR guys who grew up in Brown County and was a family friend helped with the scout troop in Nashville, of which I was a member.

I was probably working on my forestry merit badge when he had me come out to Yellowwood with him one winter morning because he had a project where they were thinning out trees in a certain area and he wanted some of the trees dead (altho not cut down, at least not immediately - I dunno what forestry techniques were back then). He marked them with paint and I followed along more slowly and girdled them with an axe.

I don't remember which month it was, but it was exceptionally cold, well below zero, and a pretty good blanket of snow, so you got that dry crunching sound when walking in it. But the dry cold also made it very clear above, with lots of bright sun. I dressed for the weather and with swingin' the axe kept quite warm. Had a great morning starting a sunrise tramping around the woods. We finished around noon, probably went back to Nashville and got something warm to eat.

I try not to spend too much time regretting and wishing I was younger and all that, but I would love to feel like I did that morning again. Of course I didn't realize it at the time, but it was a great day.

I expect now that the DNR leadership would have a coronary if one of their foresters took a teenager out in the sticks to thrash trees with an axe. Oh the liability!

jake 2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    indianapolis
    The tree huggers have RUINED the Ruffed Grouse population in Indiana as well(by stopping the clear cutting of forrests). I used to see lots of Grouse, and have only seen one in the last ten years.

Im all for some responsible logging but clear cut for some grouse? Maybe some responsible grouse hunting would bring back the population remember we wiped the deer out in the 70s and had to bring in deer from Wisconsin to re-establish herds here in Indiana i hunt deer,turkey,dove,coyote and squirrel but i only take what I need and don't over hunt any one area and if I'm not seeing much game in a area in the summer i don't hunt it in the fall and winter if we all treat nature with the respect it deserves maybe our children's children can enjoy these same pastimes

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    ^^^deer weren't wiped out in the 70`s. The ruffled grouse thrive in 10 year old clear cuts, the loss of habitat in Indiana is the reason for their decline, they for sure weren't hunted too much.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Last edited:

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I'm guessing there are a lot of younger folks who just because they did not see deer when they were young , assume us "old guys" slaughtered them all. For those "kids" I'll offer this. Deer were for all intent and purpose "extinct" in the early 1900s. Yes it was an old guy who done it but he was your great grandfather. Overkilling and destroying habitat done it.The re introduction of whitetail in Indiana is one of the great success stories. I saw my first deer in the wild in 1963 . I was 10.I know they were out there in small numbers but that was my first.When I started hunting them in the very early 80s (up to then I hunted upland game, hunting deer was a waste of time) if you went out and saw some pellets or tracks it was a big deal.We didn't even really know how to hunt them. How could we know ? I shot my first in 1984 and quite frankly it was by pure luck, being at the right place at the right time.BUT, it got easier after that.The generation before me did not kill them off, they brought them back.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Finally, a topic I have a little education on, and have actually talked to both the DNR and "concerned citizens" about.

Its called a managed forest for a reason. One of the reasons it is such a nice place for outdoor recreation. If folks don't like it being "managed", they need to work to have it designated differently, not protest when it is used as designed.

Besides, most of the complaints I have hear were about loggers that honestly did make more of a mess than needed, and the DNR did not strictly enforce the contract (and make them clean up and/or be more careful). Also, people complain because trails are rerouted for ONE SEASON. Get over it. You still have a trail, and the forest will recover just fine. Heck, the tornado(s) from a year or so ago had a much larger impact, and that was al natural.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Finally, a topic I have a little education on, and have actually talked to both the DNR and "concerned citizens" about.

Its called a managed forest for a reason. One of the reasons it is such a nice place for outdoor recreation. If folks don't like it being "managed", they need to work to have it designated differently, not protest when it is used as designed.

Besides, most of the complaints I have hear were about loggers that honestly did make more of a mess than needed, and the DNR did not strictly enforce the contract (and make them clean up and/or be more careful). Also, people complain because trails are rerouted for ONE SEASON. Get over it. You still have a trail, and the forest will recover just fine. Heck, the tornado(s) from a year or so ago had a much larger impact, and that was al natural.

Folks....we have raised a couple of generations of people who feel the need to be offended and make a statement. A lot of those people are focusing on this. With little or no info. Same with those that carry signs anywhere else.

Top Bottom