• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I saw some kind of hawk or falcon today. Not a red tail so I am not sure what it is.
    177289CB-1ABF-4CCD-8EB7-1F8B4BC20662.jpg I do not know why this is sideways or how to fix it.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Nope. Still a red tail. Immatures have striped tails. All that white in the front without barring says red tail. A clearer pic, and one from the front, would have been appreciated, but it is what it is. Cooper's and sharp-shinned have solid-color backs without spots, tails are longer in comparison with the body and striping is more defined.

Qualification statement: I do bird ID for a living.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    :ingo:
    Qualification statement: I do bird ID for a living.

I used to do a lot of bird watching...Even kept a list...Got up to over 100 in Indiana.....I had trouble ID'ing Birds of Prey...I got so confused on I bought this book...

5107dTcHD%2BL._AC_UL320_SR212,320_.jpg

I still suck at it...Good on you Spence for sharing your knowledge....:ingo:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    :ingo:

I used to do a lot of bird watching...Even kept a list...Got up to over 100 in Indiana.....I had trouble ID'ing Birds of Prey...I got so confused on I bought this book...

5107dTcHD%2BL._AC_UL320_SR212,320_.jpg

I still suck at it...Good on you Spence for sharing your knowledge....:ingo:

Happy to help where I can. I know so little about so many things, but this is my bailiwick.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I for one am happy to see the population where it is today. I grew up in west-central Indiana in the '70s and don't recall ever seeing any hawks.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Look under the diet tab here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp-shinned_hawk

sure looks like the spotted back of a sharpie. Plus I take it is a very small hawk and a bird feeder is very close to the deck in question. Then again just a bird watcher here. I still think sharpie
    And look at all the other pics that AREN'T spotted. And the gray color on matures. And the rust barring on the breast. Always going to be exceptions.
    Know what else is attracted to feeders? Squirrels and chipmunks and sometimes voles and mice. All food for the RTH. I can't tell how small it is - no discernible scale. Looks pretty big to me comparatively.

I could be wrong. But most likely not.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I don’t know the first thing about hawks. I wish we could kill them. I see them on just about every pole around. But I never see rabbits any more. I’ve seen a hawk in my neighborhood get squirrels and rabbits. I don’t know why hawks are so important. I’d rather have less hawks and more small game I could hunt.

anyway-what I really want to know is what kind of job is it that ID’s birds for a living? Im impressed with your knowledge. I’m always interested in what people do for a living and I just wouldn’t think there is enough need for that that someone could make money doing it. But I guess I’m wrong.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    anyway-what I really want to know is what kind of job is it that ID’s birds for a living? Im impressed with your knowledge. I’m always interested in what people do for a living and I just wouldn’t think there is enough need for that that someone could make money doing it. But I guess I’m wrong.
    Park manager/naturalist/resource manager. Not just bird ID. I also get paid to lead caving trips, guide school groups, create graphics, write articles, chop invasive exotics and burn things. Specialization is for insects.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    That's pretty awesome. I assume you love it. Which is the key, of course.

I'm always happy to find someone that loves their job, which in turn, makes it not a job.

(BTW--I have Ps 149:6 engraved on my Grayman knife).

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    That's pretty awesome. I assume you love it. Which is the key, of course.

I'm always happy to find someone that loves their job, which in turn, makes it not a job.

(BTW--I have Ps 149:6 engraved on my Grayman knife).
    Quite true. If you love your job, you never "work" a day in your life. I'll never get rich, but I have everything I need and most of what I want. More than that is too much.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I saw some kind of hawk or falcon today. Not a red tail so I am not sure what it is.
    View attachment 62283 I do not know why this is sideways or how to fix it.

Photo is sideways possibly due to metadata called exif attached to it that specifies its orientation. Certain programs or applications will use it to show the photo. EXIF can be removed. I use FastStone Image Viewer (free) on a PC. Left click image/tools/remove metadata. Other ways may be out there.

Top Bottom