• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Man I love being out in the snow. We haven't had a good snow in awhile for some good hunting. Makes me want to do some rabbit hunting. Anyone else still after a deer? Nothing came out early enough tonight but still love seeing the snow.

EWb78Nl.jpg

Lots of geese on the move though!

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Man you all must have been in my head today because I was driving to town and looking out in the woods and fields and reminiscing about snowy days with my buddies rabbit hunting.There were 5 of us in the group. We all worked together in the factory back then and we were off the whole week between Christmas and New Years.A day or two after Christmas we would start the day at my house with breakfast before daylight. Then hit some of our rabbit spots at day break. Then break for lunch which consisted of venison chili which we ate from a old crock pot with plastic spoons and paper bowls. We would eat right out in the woods out of the back of my old mini-van it had a plug in the back to keep the crock pot warming. Then we would finish lunch and hunt until almost dark, then clean rabbits. Man those were good times. Walking in the fields and woods with the snow falling carrying my old single shot 20 gauge and kicking up rabbits and us buddies busting each other chops. Honestly for me I looked more forward to that yearly rabbit hunt than I did to Christmas day itself. Man the good memories. I gotta stop... my allergies are kicking in. Must be the pollen in the air.

Last edited:

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Still at it here in the southern part, not much snow. I like putting on the snow camo and ground hunting. It's amazing how critters don't see you. Hoping for another 1" of snow.

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    My deer season isn't over-was hoping to head to woods this weekend w/bow. Sons tagged out so we are opting to head out to squirrel hunt this morning. Taking his Feist with us-she's bat sh** crazy on squirrels. Hoping temps don't drop too fast or we'll wind up carrying her out of woods-lol

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    With the snow cover and temps so low it will be prefect for night callin coyotes. I have to work Sunday and Monday so I need to check the moon phase and see if we will have some moonlight to make it easier to see.

I do do think a quick walk this evening is in order. Right at dark with my hand caller and decoy. We have had a coyote to close to the house for good measure. I think he needs to be dispatched.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    With the snow cover and temps so low it will be prefect for night callin coyotes. I have to work Sunday and Monday so I need to check the moon phase and see if we will have some moonlight to make it easier to see.

I do do think a quick walk this evening is in order. Right at dark with my hand caller and decoy. We have had a coyote to close to the house for good measure. I think he needs to be dispatched.

question on night hunting coyotes-

because I have never done it, what do guys use when the regs say a "continuous burning light seen at 500ft"? Lantern?

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I LOVE rabbit hunting in the snow. Gonna go out this afternoon. Went out after squirrels yesterday with my grandson but it turned out more of a walk in the woods. Kicked up a couple of rabbits and saw some turkeys. I've been seeing alot of deer out and about in the middle of the day. I'm done hunting them this season.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    question on night hunting coyotes-

because I have never done it, what do guys use when the regs say a "continuous burning light seen at 500ft"? Lantern?

I put a red lens light on my head can remember the name but it does not seem to effect coyotes coming in. If there is enough moonlight you can see them on the snow for a long way off.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Against my better judgment my dad, brother and I took my nephew rabbit hunting on Saturday. The dogs had a great time in the snow. But it was rather windy and my nephew got too cold after a little over an hour so we headed back to the truck. Was kind of a bust since none of us even saw a rabbit track and never got to get the dogs in a chase. But we salvaged the day for the boy with a big slice of pizza from the Flying J on the way home.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Against my better judgment my dad, brother and I took my nephew rabbit hunting on Saturday. The dogs had a great time in the snow. But it was rather windy and my nephew got too cold after a little over an hour so we headed back to the truck. Was kind of a bust since none of us even saw a rabbit track and never got to get the dogs in a chase. But we salvaged the day for the boy with a big slice of pizza from the Flying J on the way home.

I was out too Saturday and did a lot of walking in the snow. It was all good until I had to make the way back to the truck with the wind in my face the whole way. I didnt even see squirrels moving.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Missed an 8 pointer Sunday night, hunted about 1.5 hours and that was about all I wanted. Shot right over his back. I got 1 more bowhunt in me then I'm going to break the rifle out for 1 more freezer filler.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Archery as well as the late antlerless both run through Jan 7th.

If you guys are bowhunting in this weather I give you a TON of credit. When I bundle up enough to be comfortable on stand in sub zero temps there is no way I could pull the string back to anchor with my recurve.

Top Bottom