"Primitive" Coyote Hunting: Still Possible?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Based on what I read and see on TV, using night vision, thermal, electronic calls, etc. can really enhance your chances when attempting to save the world from the evil coyote menace.

So is it worth someone's time to try with just their rifle, some binocs, and patience?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Maybe...

A few weeks ago, I set up a bait pile behind my house. I also put a motion detector by the bait pile, and it's interesting what I've seen. First of all, coyotes don't run like clock work. I've had them come in at 9:00 one night, 3:00, 10:30, 2:00, 4:30 - completely random times. Second, they don't stick to a schedule. They've come in 2-3 days in a row and then don't show up for a few days. I've only shot twice and got the two I shot, so their schedule isn't because I'm scaring them off.

Also, coyotes don't stick to much of a pattern coming into a location, so setting up on a stand would require some luck. You need something to get them curious enough to come in.

So, yes, you could PROBABLY set up somewhere and pop one, but don't be surprised if you don't.

You don't have to have high dollar stuff to hunt. A mouth call costs $10-20.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I just use a rabbit in distress mouth call and an battery powered rabbit decoy. Sub $60 setup.

I don’t care to hunt if it’s much above 10 degrees. My opinion is they’ll get hungry and stupid when it’s cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    "Primitive" Coyote Hunting: Still Possible?

I hear ChurchMouse still uses a club.

I have never been out officially hunting for yotes but I've killed plenty while walking around my house. I lived in the mountains out west. The farthest one I hit was maybe 75+ yards (lucky) from my backdoor and the closest was literally 10 feet from the front door. One I got from inside my living room through the screened window as he stared down my girl on her swing set. Those days I was carrying a small Colt Officers 45.

I do need to add - my x-wife always put little bells on all the outdoor cats we had so of course the coyotes put our house on their scheduled rounds after the first cat went missing. Poor little guys didn't have a chance. They were wearing dinner bells. And Yes- X-wife that *****!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    While I've not killed a lot of coyotes all the ones I have killed have been either by rolling up on them in an ATV or out of a deer stand. Someday I'm going to get some calls and try it for real.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I now you have turkey out of the smoker eat what you can from it.

Take that turkey left over (bones skin ect) and stake it down in the ground tied around the bones. Road kill of any kind works also.
    They will find it quick. If you don’t stake it down they will carry it off. Even if you don’t see them on the bones they will come in quick to a coyote call around the area. Stake the area with road kill often if possible. The packs will start to look at the area as free lunch.

Now there is old school also. Place rifle and bino’s In car. Drive in the am and PM in areas you can hunt. See coyote note the dirrection of travel get in front and wait for it to come around. In snow if you cross the tracks follow to the coyote.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Just don't try to track them...you'll never walk as far as they will in a day. :):

As far as just sitting up with a gun...might as well go for a walk in the woods. Either way it's a day out of doors to enjoy whether you get anything or not.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    First coyote I killed was several years ago, right after Indiana started allowing handguns for deer hunting.
    I was walking the edge of a corn field when I saw a coyote loping across the other end of the field, some 60-65 yards away.
    I stopped and leveled my Mossberg 12ga 500 and got what I thought was a good sight picture. Squeezed the trigger and that coyote just stood there looking at me!

I have no idea if I was high, low, left or right, only that I missed.
    I very slowly knelt down and laid my Mossberg down in front of me.
    I reached back on my belt and pulled out a 4" barreled Taurus .357magnum revolver.
    One shot and that coyote started running in circles and yelping loudly.
    Dropped after about 3 or 4 circles.

Second (and only other) coyote I ever killed was this past December.
    I was sitting in a ground blind watching for deer when two coyote ran a trail not 15 feet in front of me.
    They were moving at a dead run. I didn't really get a chance to get a decent shot at the first one, but the second one took a 325gr .50cal Powerbelt to the upper chest.
    He rolled down the hill and the first one was long gone.

Yes, it's possible, just not real probable.
    I have started carrying a smaller second firearm for the next coyote that runs by.
    I was a little upset that I had to use a .50cal, but it happened so fast...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Got a bud that uses mouth calls. That and a rifle. He kills em regularly on public ground.
    But he's a badass.

I use a cheap electronic caller and connect once in a great while (hunting high pressure areas).
    Haven't been yet this yr due to weather and injury. Hopefully get out soon.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Have taken them while goose and deer hunting.
    MZ, shotgun and bow kills.

Getting out of truck opening day of gun, had a yote come from thicket and stop 75 yards out.
    Dunno who owns that ground anymore, so did not blast it.

Think it was same one buddy hammered a couple days later.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We had good luck out western Indiana just inside the state line. Buddy's place. He knows there paths and haunts. Dens down on the low part of the property.
    If you do not get one there you are not going to.
    Not been in a couple of years. Life happens.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    What's the goal? Just reducing population without technologically advanced (or expensive) equipment?

You can always set snares, just be aware that not every property is a good candidate for snares. If dogs run loose it's not a good candidate. Snaring is most easily done at fence crossings, do you have good fence crossings that deer aren't also using? Most of the time coyotes go under a fence and deer jump it so it's pretty easy to target coyotes while minimizing deer. That being said, I'm not a snaring expert. After 2 years of setting snares on a "marginally effective" fenceline I finally snared my first coyote and it was dumb luck; caught him on the hind foot. I think the snare must've gotten knocked down and was laying on the ground or hanging low when he went through. The "crossing" he was using was one I never expected a coyote would've been using but I walked the line when we had all the snow so I could see which places were being used by yotes and which ones were being used by deer. This particular spot was pretty heavily used.

As far as hunting, as in you want to be there and shoot it (for the experience), you can still do so without gadgets. My uncle is a primitive hunter (he doesn't believe we should be allowed to have ARs etc) and he hunts them in daylight with leverguns/muzzleloaders etc with just a call. Morning is your best bet; you're trying to catch that coyote that has been out all night looking for a snack, struck out, and it still trying to get a little something in it's belly at first light before it packs it in for the day. I shot one Saturday morning doing just that; just happened to catch her out my back window hunting around a few bushes that are on the fenceline. I bet anybody with a reasonably decent call could have brought her into shooting range pretty easily.

Jagermeister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Shelby
    Patience and skill is the answer. I like to spot and stalk. It's just about ruined with all of the earlier seasons before the snow flies. The coyotes get an education and don't like to lay out. If you can find an area that isn't hunted much get out at daybreak and start glassing. Use the wind to your advantage and know how your rifle is shooting at all ranges.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Patience and skill is the answer. I like to spot and stalk. It's just about ruined with all of the earlier seasons before the snow flies. The coyotes get an education and don't like to lay out. If you can find an area that isn't hunted much get out at daybreak and start glassing. Use the wind to your advantage and know how your rifle is shooting at all ranges.
    You spot and stalk coyote's? Dang, my hat is off to you... I'm pretty sure they're more afraid of humans than deer are... and deer are pretty timid...

Although, while walking my snare line tonight I walked right up on 10 deer feeding in the neighbor's field; I came over a rise and from 100 yds they all just stared at me for 2-3 minutes before trotting off... I guess it just depends on the pressure they're under...

Jagermeister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Shelby
    Snow cover is the answer when trying to spot a coyote. They will lay anywhere out of the wind and in their own comfort zone. They like to see down wind and smell up wind. Spotting a coyote in the nest is one thing and harvesting him is another. I have been doing this since the late 50's.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I hear ChurchMouse still uses a club.

Not true...He upgraded...

atlatl-2.jpg

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Got my first and only coyote so far out of my deer stand around 830am on the 2nd day of deer gun season. She was probably in the area because of the doe gut pile I left the day before.

As far as I know, KJQ still hasn't got one with all his fancy gear. FYI :):

Top Bottom