• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I heard them today in South Lake County for the first time this year about 2 hours before sunset. I first heard geese and then a few seconds later heard the cranes. I was in a wooded area and couldn't get to a clearing but the calls sounded like they were coming from the same exact area.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Was outside most of the day yesterday and hundreds upon hundreds of them passing overhead... a flock about every 5 minutes, some of them numbering well over 50 birds per flock.

Also hearing Canadian Geese but less frequently.

I did notice that my hay fields have fresh green shoots peeking up through the brown dead grass.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I don't believe I have a gun that would reach them and the recoil from shooting vertical surely would hurt.

No kidding! I say if you can buy the punt gun, and are willing to go through the surgery and rehab from shooting it, be my guest.

But they are such a welcome sound. I heard some Friday in connersville, and I saw some yesterday in Columbus.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I never saw them head south last year but I have seen several flocks headed north With today’s wind they sure were moving along at a much faster pace than I normally see them flying

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    We had a large northbound siege of Sandhills @ MP 100 of 80/90 this morning. Several must have forgot something as I witnessed them turn around and head back south.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Saw them myself yesterday (Beech Grove area). It was continuous flights of anywhere from 5 -6 birds to some being at least 50 birds in a group. I love their call and watching them flying north. Truly the harbingers of spring.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I've seen them 5-6x in the last 3 weeks near Eagle Creek Park, sometimes a couple of big Vs totaling a bit less than 100, but usually about 50. I've been in Venice, FL during the winter and they have signs on the road to watch out for them, apparently quite a few winter there. I also saw one standing at the side of the highway east of Sarasota, about 4' tall. Got in a discussion once with a lady from around Sarasota about them. She thought I was saying that I saw them around I-75. She said, yeah I've seen them there too. I said No, around Indianapolis. What's startling is that I can hear them from inside, and then go outside and can't find them. That sound really travels.

Top Bottom