• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I have given permission to several coon hunters to kill all of them they can. They are recognized as a nuisance animal and can be taken year round on your own property or on other property with written (key word here) permission.

I had hunters with a coon treed below my house Sunday night. Local guy that has permission to kill them all. CO walked over my bluff and was listening, he heard 3 shots and the coon hit the ground. The hunters waded across the creek and back up the bluff and got nailed for shooting out of season. Hunter was asked if he had permission, which he does, then said it needed to be written permission. He was then told that he can only shoot if there are standing crops, I have a standing corn field in my bottoms. Gave him a $330 ticket and a day in court. When I found out about this I got pissed off.

He now has written permission.

If you coyote hunt out of season on someone elses property you better get written permission to do so. CO's are bored this time of year.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Unless I'm missing something, the only thing I read in the regs is that if coyote hunting out of season one needs written permission from the landowner. No mention for coon hunting. There are a lot of gray areas.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Hmm. That hits close to home. I "manage" a pretty large chunk of ground for a guy where I live. He trusts me to treat it like my own and I do. I guess I always knew the law said WRITTEN permission but never thought it would be enforced. I always thought a phone call would clear up any confusion. I guess I better get his signature.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    My buddy was going to plea guilty and pay the fine, prosecutor wanted to hit him with 6 months probation and 24 hours of community service. He changed to not guilty. I would think that after the news coverage of dnr wanting trapped coins dispatched instead of being released, he has a good chance of beating it. I'll update after the next ruling.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If he would have killed someone, he would have gotten unsupervised probation. Gotta love the justice system.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I guess I always understood: Not your property = written land owner permission (on your person)
    Doesn't really matter what you're doing there...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I would bet the CO's are getting tired of being lied to by people who don't actually have permission and want written proof as the law states. I have had people tell me they had permission to hunt my property when I catch them. They assure me that they know the owner and he gave them permission. I ask to see it in writing, and they obviously can't show it to me since it has never been given. The last two that were running their dogs on my ground while they sat in their trucks waiting for them to chase the coyotes out to them ended up with warnings from the CO after I called it in. One of these last two kept telling me how he was my husband's best friend. It was priceless when I called my husband to come out there, and he walked up to the guy in front of me and asked who the hell he was.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I would bet the CO's are getting tired of being lied to by people who don't actually have permission and want written proof as the law states. I have had people tell me they had permission to hunt my property when I catch them. They assure me that they know the owner and he gave them permission. I ask to see it in writing, and they obviously can't show it to me since it has never been given. The last two that were running their dogs on my ground while they sat in their trucks waiting for them to chase the coyotes out to them ended up with warnings from the CO after I called it in. One of these last two kept telling me how he was my husband's best friend. It was priceless when I called my husband to come out there, and he walked up to the guy in front of me and asked who the hell he was.
    Good point! I should get the property owner at my place to sign something next time He's here and keep it with my hunting license. Property Owner defers to me as He doesn't let anyone else hunt/fish. It is amazing the lies people will come up with when confronted.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom