• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Dermestid Beetle questions....

Anyone here use them for deer skulls...??

We did a few years ago and I think only bought $50 or so worth of beetles (colony of 600 maybe), but I've read that you need at least 25,000 to do a deer skull. That gets pricey, but I'd assume after awhile the beetles would increase their number if you care for the colony properly.

I don't remember if we had a very long 'build up' time or not, but we have four skulls to clean.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Beetles were too expensive. I commandeered the propane turkey fryer, some beer, powdered detergent, and a knife and did it over the course of a day. Skin it, pull the brain out with a wire hanger, boil and clean the rest of the flesh. My mother is a beautician so I got some hitest peroxide and bleached it in a dish pan. It's more zen than you would think.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Why not take it to someone that provides the service instead of buying the beetles? Wouldn't it be cheaper?

I found a website for a guy who does it in Wyoming (Skinner's Skull Shop), he charges $125 for a deer. I have a flyer at home for a guy who does it Indiana not sure where I put it. But I can call the guy who gave it to me if you're interested.

The mounts done with beetles are much prettier, IMHO.

http://skinnersskullshop.com/pictures.html

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    By the time you buy the beetles and spend the time and money to maintain them, I'm not sure it is very feasible unless you are planning on doing a whole lot of skulls.

I've taken hog and deer skulls to Baker's Camp in Bainbridge and they do a good job. Cost was a bit less than $100 per skull at that time and they also have a camo dipping option for an additional cost.

Top Bottom