• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsquared1702

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Looking at taking a trip to Tennessee in a couple months with the wife and a couple other couples to go hog hunting. Looking for recommendations in Tennessee if anyone has gone or heard of some good places to go. Also what caliber and time of day is best? Ideally we are looking for a place not too far from Nashville where the ladies will most likely stay while the guys go out.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Rent a thermal scope from ultimate night vision and go at night. I'd recommend the IR Hunter. I'd recommend 308.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Most likely you will be going to a high fenced location so time of day won’t matter much. Anything that you would use to deer hunt with will work.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Boar Hunting Tennesee Hog Hunting Lodge

Wife and I hit this place a few years back. Seen a lot of hogs. Hunt them how you like.

My .243 was bang flop. If I was headed out to do it again my 20ga with slugs would be going. It was hard to see the black scope reticle on a black hog in the dark woods. Don't use a scope unless it's illuminated. All shots were close in dense woods.

As far as the place goes it was adequate. It is what it is. A Tennessee hunting joint. About an hour from Nashville. We hit the town at caught the Opry.

Neat all around trip. Got a hog mounted on the wall and a ram. Brought back a case of muscadine wine.

We also stayed a few days at The Inn at Evans Mill. Very nice place and my wife's favorite part of the trip. Mattof fact this may have been the place we went into town from.

Good luck and keep us posted!

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    A buddy and I went to Wilderness Hunting lodge last spring. We really wanted to go on a hog hunting trip, looked around, and it was closer than Texas and really not anymore expensive. As mentioned above it was a high fenced place with the hogs in an 800 area. I don't know what kind wild hog population TN has.

The package included 3 nights of lodging and food.

We didn't really have a problem finding the hogs. We both shot our hogs an hour or so after lunch in the heat of the day. They advertise Russians and Razorbacks, but all we saw were some type of cross breed with black or brown hair.

I used a 450 Bushmaster (which I also use on IN deer) and my friend used a 44mag. For both of us, it was easy to get with in bow range.

Was it the hunt of a life time and will be talked about for years to come? No. Was it a fun weekend trip that put meat in the freezer and got me a trophy for the wall? Yes. Is it worth the cost? Only you can decide.

They had other animals there too. It was kind of cool to see some of the other animals they had out running around. While there we saw Water Buffalo, Fallow and Axis deer, various sheep, rams, and goats.

I'll try to answer any more questions if you have them.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Deanald, what did you think of the 450 on hogs? What size pig did you shoot?

Based on my very limited experience, bigger calibers are better, especially if you intend to be jump shooting. Or dogs and a knife. That works really well too.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    Deanald, what did you think of the 450 on hogs? What size pig did you shoot?

Based on my very limited experience, bigger calibers are better, especially if you intend to be jump shooting. Or dogs and a knife. That works really well too.

It did a good job. Put it right in the vitals, hog reared up on it's back legs, fell over, and kicked its legs for about 5 seconds.

I have no idea on the weight, but he was good sized.

View attachment 64438

I just got it back from the taxidermist, with a little artistic embellishment.

View attachment 64439

Last edited:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Daniel loshbough in crossville tn. Has good dog's and will greet you with a qt of moonshine.

He did not greet me with a quart of moonshine! Howsomever his fifteen-year-old dog, who was blind in one eye and had cataracts in the other, found me a good hog in thirty minutes.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    A buddy and I went to Wilderness Hunting lodge last spring. We really wanted to go on a hog hunting trip, looked around, and it was closer than Texas and really not anymore expensive. As mentioned above it was a high fenced place with the hogs in an 800 area. I don't know what kind wild hog population TN has.

The package included 3 nights of lodging and food.

We didn't really have a problem finding the hogs. We both shot our hogs an hour or so after lunch in the heat of the day. They advertise Russians and Razorbacks, but all we saw were some type of cross breed with black or brown hair.

I used a 450 Bushmaster (which I also use on IN deer) and my friend used a 44mag. For both of us, it was easy to get with in bow range.

Was it the hunt of a life time and will be talked about for years to come? No. Was it a fun weekend trip that put meat in the freezer and got me a trophy for the wall? Yes. Is it worth the cost? Only you can decide.

They had other animals there too. It was kind of cool to see some of the other animals they had out running around. While there we saw Water Buffalo, Fallow and Axis deer, various sheep, rams, and goats.

I'll try to answer any more questions if you have them.

Exactly our destination. Four of us from Indy going and 3 or 4 from Virginia meeting up for guys weekend. Think it should be a good time.

Top Bottom