• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Obviously, it isn't legal here in Indiana. In regards to coyote hunting, why not? You aren't limited in any way except hunting out of a vehicle. What would be needed to change this rule?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You can get a disability permit and hunt from a vehicle. Now the way to do this I have no idea but a family (distant) was in a car crash broke hip leg ribs ect. Had long recovery time. He said he filled out a form and was able to hunt deer from his truck. Now he may have just been pulling my leg also. He had the handicap parking permit and according to him had written DNR status to shoot from said truck. I did not see the proof in paper but since he could not walk without crutches that season I tend to believe him.

back when we had groundhogs it was normal to drive the bean fields on the roads. See a hog. Get out place rest on hood rifle on rest and shoot. I guess technically not hunting from car. To a point we still do this locating coyotes. Drive hit the siren to check where the pack is. Move start over . We then

Do so you want to do what they like down on Texas. A stand mobile on back of truck with spotlights and caller with a driver inside and shooter in the deck mounted stand? We don’t have the large ranches here in Indiana that I would think could support such an endeavor.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    It is to discourage road hunting and most likely you would be shooting in an area you aren't aware of all of the possible houses or locations of other people. I know every time I see them from the road it isn't on property I have permission to hunt.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    The disability permit is real, not a myth. You can shoot from a parked vehicle. I ran across a guy on HNF land with exactly this permit. Imagine my face when I'm 2 miles deep and here comes a full sized truck down the logging road. The dnr has given him keys to the gate at a couple different access points.

I chatted with him a bit after telling him I was calling the dnr. He showed me the paperwork. Nice guy. Veteran with war injury. I'm pretty sure he said the only rules were that he had to be parked, and lights on after dark.

I backed out of the area and didn't report it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It is to discourage road hunting and most likely you would be shooting in an area you aren't aware of all of the possible houses or locations of other people. I know every time I see them from the road it isn't on property I have permission to hunt.

I understand the reasoning. The second part of your sentence is dead wrong. There's quite a few places we hunt that has a lot of low spots that the coyotes use to move around. Being higher up would give us another advantage. If we were allowed to hunt from vehicles, I would set up something similar to the Texas rigs, but nothing near as elaborate as they use. I'd probably just stand on a truck box and set my tripod on the roof.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I lived in Jacksonville, Florida for six years in the 80's while in the Navy. Deer hunted with a couple locals who showed me one of the preferred ways to hunt. Sitting in lawn chairs in the back of a lifted 4WD pickup, cooler at our side (yes, there was beer) and letting the dogs run the deer by us. Sportsmanlike? Well, the deer were running so sometimes the shots were challenging. Hogs were also fair game, as well as the occasional armadillo!

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Obviously, it isn't legal here in Indiana. In regards to coyote hunting, why not? You aren't limited in any way except hunting out of a vehicle. What would be needed to change this rule?

just talked to a CO about hunting from a RV turned to hunting blind he said as long as it wasn't moving or hunting from what ever was pulling it was ok.......if it was moving or shooting from vehicle pulling it he would bust me......

didn't matter what i was hunting....

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    C5D7D3C2-D60B-451A-AB77-33DCB2A102D4_zps0ehkfpkq.jpg

So, hunting from a vehicle is bad? But it felt so right........

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    That is one of the nice things about my yearly hunting trip to arkansas. Im on my property, in my truck , with my rifle , hunting deer. Dont expect to ever see any wall hanging quality bucks from yer truck, they are way to weary, but if u like good eating does, they will be along shortly. (as long as yer dads asswipe cousins from texas havent hunted everyday before u got their on his land that adjoins yours, anyway)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The disability permit is real, not a myth. You can shoot from a parked vehicle. I ran across a guy on HNF land with exactly this permit. Imagine my face when I'm 2 miles deep and here comes a full sized truck down the logging road. The dnr has given him keys to the gate at a couple different access points.

I chatted with him a bit after telling him I was calling the dnr. He showed me the paperwork. Nice guy. Veteran with war injury. I'm pretty sure he said the only rules were that he had to be parked, and lights on after dark.

I backed out of the area and didn't report it.

What a swell fella.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Seen a few yotes from the truck, on ground I had permission for.
    That's what fenceposts are for ;)

Used to use truck hood for rest along bean fields (chucks).

Obviously the vehicle not in motion, am outside said vehicle........it then becomes nothing but a rest.
    Vehicle not used to move, illuminate or intercept game.

Driving around and blasting from the window is a different deal. The law written to address that.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I have a disability hunting permit. I have a master key for Hoosier national forest and Morgan Monroe, the same key works for yellow wood also.

Attachments

• 20180302_121011.jpg
      20180302_121011.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 9
    Top Bottom