• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have been shooting Federal Premium 12 Gauge 3" #5 Flitecontrol shells for my Turkey Hunting using my Remington 870 with a 24" barrel and a TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme choke tube for several years now and getting good patterns from my set-up.

I am looking to step up to Hevi-Shot for longer range and tighter patterns. Does anyone know if I can use Hevi-Shot in this choke tube? If I should buy a new choke tube do you have any recommendations for a good choke tube fit for Hevi-Shot use?? Probably a Federal ammunition version with 3" shells and either #5 or #6 size shot in my Remington 870 is what I would go with.
    Also, should I even consider a more open tube than "Turkey/Full" to shoot good even patterns out to 30-40 yds or more?
    ?

If you have recommendations on say #5 shot versus #6 shot or smaller and also recommended brands of Hevi-Shot type ammunition, then I would like to hear from you!

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Your choke tube should work just fine for Hevi-Shot. As far as shot size I think it is more of a preference to you or what the gun/choke likes. I personally like #5s but I shoot copper plated shot. Not for sure if one is better with Hevi-Shot. Since your choke will handle Hevi-Shot, buy a box of both and try. If you don’t get the patterns you are wanting you can start shelling out money and try other chokes.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My hunting partner and I both shoot 3.5" Winchester Longbeard XR #5's out of our Benelli shotguns (SBE & SBE II)and they're easily capable at 50yds, he dropped one at 60 a few years ago (bit of a hail Mary but it worked). He's got a Jeb's choke and I've got a Rhino.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    You might wish to seriously consider trying Winchester's Long Beard Supreme Turkey loads that feature plane lead shot. I killed over 2 dozen Toms using Winchester Supreme High density heavier then lead turkey loads and loved them. That is until they became IMHO outrageously expensive at or over $30 for 10 rounds. I had bought a sizable amount back when they first came out and were still reasonably priced, but was running low when Winchester came out with their cheaper by $8-$10 a box Long Beard Extended Range shells. I tried the 12ga 3.5" 2oz/#5 shots in my 870 E/SM with a 24" factory barrel and a Remington Xtra-full turkey choke, as #5 shot patterns best for turkeys out of this gun.

They are superb performing shells producing devastating patterns out to 60 yards. By devastating I'm talking consistently placing a dozen of more pellets in bead of a anatomically correct turkey target. They are all I use now and just picked up a bunch on sale at Cabela"s for under $20 a box of 10.

Just an alternative you may wish to consider.

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    Everybody's gun patterns differently, the only sure way to see which shell and choke combo works best is try them. My Super Mag likes the 3 1/2 inch Hevi 13 #6s thru an Indian Creek choke. Last season I miss judged my yardage and shot a gobbler at 65 yds. I like to keep my shots 50yds. or less but some times we screw up.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I use two different choke tubes depending on the area that I'm hunting. For Indiana Eastern Turkeys, I use a Indian Creek .675 12ga. For hunts out west, I use a Jeb's .655 12ga. Both chokes are outstanding, and will do the job with the right load. Note: I'm shooting Winchester Supreme Elite Xtended Range - Hi Density Turkey Load (12ga, 3 1/2", 2oz., #5 shot).

Last edited:

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Thanks everyone!

FYI, I have contacted Tru-Glo and they confirmed that Hevi-Shot brand shells will work with my Gobble-Stopper choke tube, but not to use Hardened Tungsten such as Federal Heavy Weight shells or Steel shot, so it has to be Hevi-Shot. That stuff is expensive!! I am thinking I will pick #6 or #7 shot, depending on what I can find on the Internet!

Thanks again for all advice and if anyone wants to keep adding to this thread, that would still be appreciated!

Thank you!

Top Bottom