• ...and so much more!

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Hey INGO,

I am looking for some recommendations on locations to camp here in Indiana. Preferably within an 1-2 hours drive from Indianapolis. I camped a lot as a kid and have backpacked out of state but this will be first time taking my family. We have two kids 4 and 5, and will be tent camping. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I'm real fond of Starve Hollow in Vallonia (Right in my back door) and Clifty Falls in Madison. Patoka Lake and Spring Mill are nice too. I've been to all quite a few times in a camper, so I can't say how the tent camping is. You should be fine any any of these though.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Turkey Run and Shades SPs have some great trails. If you're wanting to backpack then the Deam Wilderness SE of Bloomington though Shades does have a backpack camp which may be easier with your youngsters - only 2.5 mile out and back trail and you have a pit toilet and water at the camp. Just a bit further west is the Forest Glen Preserve SE of Danville, IL, with an 11-mile loop with 2 spots to camp and pit toilets (bring your own TP just in case) but no potable water so you must treat your own. When I started with my 4.5 year old we did an overnight in the Deam first and then went to Forest Glen for 2 nights a couple days later.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    For what you are describing, many of the state parks work great.

I will suggest that you stay as far as possible from the Modern Camping areas. Those are, functionally, temporary trailer parks full of middle class people. I really cannot understand the appeal.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    For what you are describing, many of the state parks work great.

I will suggest that you stay as far as possible from the Modern Camping areas. Those are, functionally, temporary trailer parks full of middle class people. I really cannot understand the appeal.

I couldn't agree more. We camp in a lot of the state parks but avoid any private campgrounds. Yellow wood is nice but it's primitive, they do have a shower and toilet station. Dan

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The HNF if you are going full on primitive, if not state parks are excellent, my personal recommendation would be Spring Mill.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Question for the people making suggestions ... No shower or toilet has been a deal killer for me trying to get the wife to go camping. Are there any locations where we could pitch a tent and get that part of the camping experience under her belt but still have access to a (decently clean) toilet and shower?

Yes. The state parks have those facilities available a short walk away from your camp site.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    When my kids were little, we spent time camping in Turkey Run, Shades, Summit Lake, Whitewater, and other state parks. They always liked the little playgrounds in the camping areas.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I will be looking them all up and hopefully visiting many of them this year.

Hey 7.62, when my boy was around the same age as your kids age we camped down at Lincoln State Park. We had a great time. Since a 4-5 year old can sometimes get bored we hit Holiday World a few miles away. Naturally that was a big hit. It's a little farther that you hoped for, but it was a great trip for us. We even extended our planned stay from 4 nights to 6.

For something real close and just to get out the house on short notice, we've camped at the White River campground run by Hamilton County. Not as nice as some mentioned in this thread, but real quick and easy to get to.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Hey INGO,

I am looking for some recommendations on locations to camp here in Indiana. Preferably within an 1-2 hours drive from Indianapolis. I camped a lot as a kid and have backpacked out of state but this will be first time taking my family. We have two kids 4 and 5, and will be tent camping. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

I don't see how you can go wrong at any of the Indiana DNR State Parks or State Recreational areas....especially tent camping with kids. They have modern showers, bathrooms, swimming pools, hayrides, and some have horses you can ride, and usually a Walmart within a few miles of the park for things you forgot, and you WILL forget things the first time or two. We used to take everything we owned on the first campout of the season...and then made a note of what we didn't need and then didn't bring that item anymore....but the quick trip to Walmart was great for the kids when we needed sweatshirts in JULY...or cheap creek stomping shoes in June. Have fun. My kids are all 30 somethings and they will tell you that some fo their favorite vacations were our family camping trips.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom