Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Info Menu

Bird watching/ bird houses/ bird feeders

Anyone have bird houses? I have tons of finches that have an apartment style house condo lookin thing in my neighbors yard. Been thinking about adding some more houses. Have a bluejay and cardinal family I always see cardinals in the morning. 3 doves, at least 1 wood pecker, and some robins.. There are so many different finches I just can't keep up. Can't wait for humming birds to come back. Love watchin those little winged fighter jets. Any ideas on bird houses? I had a couple make a nest on top of my bat house in my car port. So there's one for the books.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I have so many bird houses I'm basically a bird landlord!
    Tons of finches, chickadees and robins.
    They're a great weekend project and even if you aren't skilled in woodworking there are so many simple designs anyone can do it.

User Info Menu

Never had any luck with houses so we go overboard with feeders. Thistle socks are cheap and easy if you don't mind the used condom look when they're empty.

User Info Menu

I wish I could attract birds to my feeders again. I say again, because I used to have them all the time. Then my neighbor cut down his Lilac bushes next door and all the birds went away. Kind of sad about it because I really enjoyed feeding and watching them. Sorry...I know this does not answer your bird house question.
    " YOU SERIOUS CLARK ? "

User Info Menu

W have a couple different styles of wren houses that get occupied every year. Often have robins, doves, and starlings, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by WILSON View Post
    n/m - hoosierdaddy1976 beat me.

Master

User Info Menu

I shoot starlings and grackles. They love to mess with the vinyl edges of the house and try to get in all the time. The rest are fine to come on over and stay.

We get robins in the propane tank top each year. House finches love the small nooks anywhere in the area. They can have several batches of little one a year.

We feed some mainly winter birds. The doves love cracked corn close to the ground. Cardinals like it also. The blue jays are picky eaters and will empty a bird feeder of seed for the small amount of what they must like the best. I have started to put out some peanuts in the shells for them when they are on super sale or left over from parties and games at work. The cleaners now save the open left over bags for me. I think we have five or six feeders and a couple of ground screens for the cracked corn.

We donít put much in the way of chemicals in the yard. We have tons of night crawlers in the yard and those small tree frogs each year and that seems to really bring in the birds that like insects. Having trees around the edges of the yard with a small ditch that has water except the drought years helps a bunch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Winamac View Post
    I wish I could attract birds to my feeders again. I say again, because I used to have them all the time. Then my neighbor cut down his Lilac bushes next door and all the birds went away. Kind of sad about it because I really enjoyed feeding and watching them. Sorry...I know this does not answer your bird house question.
    That really blows. The past few years is when I really got into bird watching. Weird that since removing that bush made them all disappear

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelDude91 View Post
    I have so many bird houses I'm basically a bird landlord!
    Tons of finches, chickadees and robins.
    They're a great weekend project and even if you aren't skilled in woodworking there are so many simple designs anyone can do it.
    Well at least you don't have to worry about bugs eating the garden, just birds in there haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmarriott View Post
    I shoot starlings and grackles. They love to mess with the vinyl edges of the house and try to get in all the time. The rest are fine to come on over and stay.

We get robins in the propane tank top each year. House finches love the small nooks anywhere in the area. They can have several batches of little one a year.

We feed some mainly winter birds. The doves love cracked corn close to the ground. Cardinals like it also. The blue jays are picky eaters and will empty a bird feeder of seed for the small amount of what they must like the best. I have started to put out some peanuts in the shells for them when they are on super sale or left over from parties and games at work. The cleaners now save the open left over bags for me. I think we have five or six feeders and a couple of ground screens for the cracked corn.

We donít put much in the way of chemicals in the yard. We have tons of night crawlers in the yard and those small tree frogs each year and that seems to really bring in the birds that like insects. Having trees around the edges of the yard with a small ditch that has water except the drought years helps a bunch.
    It's either blue jays or deer that keep dumping out my feeders. I'm going with deer though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Winamac View Post
    Cover is as important as food. They have to feel secure from predation to inhabit an area.
    Training, SOLDIER!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast