• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Anyone have bird houses? I have tons of finches that have an apartment style house condo lookin thing in my neighbors yard. Been thinking about adding some more houses. Have a bluejay and cardinal family I always see cardinals in the morning. 3 doves, at least 1 wood pecker, and some robins.. There are so many different finches I just can't keep up. Can't wait for humming birds to come back. Love watchin those little winged fighter jets. Any ideas on bird houses? I had a couple make a nest on top of my bat house in my car port. So there's one for the books.

SteelDude91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2018
    NWI
    I have so many bird houses I'm basically a bird landlord!
    Tons of finches, chickadees and robins.
    They're a great weekend project and even if you aren't skilled in woodworking there are so many simple designs anyone can do it.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I wish I could attract birds to my feeders again. I say again, because I used to have them all the time. Then my neighbor cut down his Lilac bushes next door and all the birds went away. Kind of sad about it because I really enjoyed feeding and watching them. :( Sorry...I know this does not answer your bird house question.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I shoot starlings and grackles. They love to mess with the vinyl edges of the house and try to get in all the time. The rest are fine to come on over and stay.

We get robins in the propane tank top each year. House finches love the small nooks anywhere in the area. They can have several batches of little one a year.

We feed some mainly winter birds. The doves love cracked corn close to the ground. Cardinals like it also. The blue jays are picky eaters and will empty a bird feeder of seed for the small amount of what they must like the best. I have started to put out some peanuts in the shells for them when they are on super sale or left over from parties and games at work. The cleaners now save the open left over bags for me. I think we have five or six feeders and a couple of ground screens for the cracked corn.

We don’t put much in the way of chemicals in the yard. We have tons of night crawlers in the yard and those small tree frogs each year and that seems to really bring in the birds that like insects. Having trees around the edges of the yard with a small ditch that has water except the drought years helps a bunch.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I wish I could attract birds to my feeders again. I say again, because I used to have them all the time. Then my neighbor cut down his Lilac bushes next door and all the birds went away. Kind of sad about it because I really enjoyed feeding and watching them. :( Sorry...I know this does not answer your bird house question.

That really blows. The past few years is when I really got into bird watching. Weird that since removing that bush made them all disappear

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I have so many bird houses I'm basically a bird landlord!
    Tons of finches, chickadees and robins.
    They're a great weekend project and even if you aren't skilled in woodworking there are so many simple designs anyone can do it.

Well at least you don't have to worry about bugs eating the garden, just birds in there haha

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I shoot starlings and grackles. They love to mess with the vinyl edges of the house and try to get in all the time. The rest are fine to come on over and stay.

We get robins in the propane tank top each year. House finches love the small nooks anywhere in the area. They can have several batches of little one a year.

We feed some mainly winter birds. The doves love cracked corn close to the ground. Cardinals like it also. The blue jays are picky eaters and will empty a bird feeder of seed for the small amount of what they must like the best. I have started to put out some peanuts in the shells for them when they are on super sale or left over from parties and games at work. The cleaners now save the open left over bags for me. I think we have five or six feeders and a couple of ground screens for the cracked corn.

We don’t put much in the way of chemicals in the yard. We have tons of night crawlers in the yard and those small tree frogs each year and that seems to really bring in the birds that like insects. Having trees around the edges of the yard with a small ditch that has water except the drought years helps a bunch.

It's either blue jays or deer that keep dumping out my feeders. I'm going with deer though.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Cover is as important as food. They have to feel secure from predation to inhabit an area.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Refill them. Problem solved.

VWxlQhE.png

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have tons of feeders and houses. We put baffles on the poles where I hang the feeders so the squirrels can't climb up and get into them. The finches take over the purple martin house every year and are already starting to move into it. I need to clean out the bluebird houses as I am starting to see them outside my windows.

I put out mostly a bird seed mix and suet cakes and then add oriole feeders in the summer that the hummingbirds and orioles both hit. I used to just do the hummingbird feeders but the orioles would try to feed from them and the holes were too small for their beaks.

The deer leave the bird feeders alone for the most part because I put out corn for them in another area. The wild turkeys eat most of what the songbirds kick out on the ground.

The squirrels help the deer with their corn as do the bunnies and raccoons. I seem to have all sorts of wildlife here freeloading on a daily basis.

Saw another pileated woodpecker a couple of days ago. We apparently have a few trees with ants in them as they are going nuts drilling holes in them. More firewood....

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    It is not legal to shoot grackles - they are native birds. Same with RWBBs. They can be annoying, but you can't legally hurt them.

It is always open season on starlings and house sparrows.

People are using the term "finch," but I'm not sure what they mean. Goldfinches? House finches? Purple finches?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I believe the finches we have here are the house finches. I see gold finches but not in the houses.

Top Bottom