• Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Attention Indiana deer hunters.

The DNR has released a NEW deer survey!

This is being be done through an email request to go onlineand fill out the survey.. They are doing this to collect more detailed data andlearn more about local herds. We will be releasing more information in thefuture about what else you can do to help the DNR collect even more detailedinformation to better help them decide the health of your local herd and bonusquotas for your area.

In order to get this new survey you MUST have an account registered with theIndiana DNR.

Here is the link to check in to your account (or registerfor a new account) ....

https://secure.in.gov/apps/dnr/portal/#/home

If you do not check in on line and/or you don't receive email news from the DNRthen you probably do not have an email address registered with the DNR. If theyhave an old email address or you aren't sure follow the link and to see if youare registered or to setup an account. They will let you know if you have anaccount or not and they can help you figure out your password. It is importantwe get as many people to fill this survey out as possible. Talk to people andmake sure they are registered with the DNR. If you are a landowner who isn'trequired to buy a license then you might not have an account. Therefor you willneed to register to get your voice heard.

Please once you get the survey take the 10 minutes tofill it out and help our state deer biologist get the information he needs.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Received the email this afternoon. Filled it out and it definitely takes a good 10 minutes. Lots of repetition at the end as well

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Wonder how I could get in on that action. I've got a rifle and a thermal scope, would I need to charge the state a ridiculous amount?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Done. I wonder if IDNR plans to hire sharpshooters should CWD become an issue?

It defintally gives you that impression.

All I wanted was a comment section asking to lower the bonus for tags from 3 to 1 in my county. I haven't killed a doe in a few years. Not because I couldn't, not because I didn't want to, but because our numbers are through the floor.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    All I wanted was a comment section asking to lower the bonus for tags from 3 to 1 in my county. I haven't killed a doe in a few years. Not because I couldn't, not because I didn't want to, but because our numbers are through the floor.

Agreed. I was definitely anticipating a comment section after the long survey. I still believe IDNR should offer a lottery for a bonus antlered deer tag to promote thinning some lesser bucks that go un-harvested. Just my opinion but I think it could be a money maker for the State and I think it could potentially improve the quality of the breeding stock. I take out mature bucks with small racks but I know alot of hunters who won't.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Agreed. I was definitely anticipating a comment section after the long survey. I still believe IDNR should offer a lottery for a bonus antlered deer tag to promote thinning some lesser bucks that go un-harvested. Just my opinion but I think it could be a money maker for the State and I think it could potentially improve the quality of the breeding stock. I take out mature bucks with small racks but I know alot of hunters who won't.

Personally I don't think that would work. Bonus antlered tag for mature bucks with smaller racks revolve around the hunter drawing the tags to know the diffrence. 99% of hunters dont know a 2 yr old from a 6 yr old.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    It defintally gives you that impression.

Your hunting in Huntington County too?!

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Attention Indiana deer hunters.

The DNR has released a NEW deer survey!

This is being be done through an email request to go onlineand fill out the survey.. They are doing this to collect more detailed data andlearn more about local herds. We will be releasing more information in thefuture about what else you can do to help the DNR collect even more detailedinformation to better help them decide the health of your local herd and bonusquotas for your area.

In order to get this new survey you MUST have an account registered with theIndiana DNR.

Here is the link to check in to your account (or registerfor a new account) ....

https://secure.in.gov/apps/dnr/portal/#/home

If you do not check in on line and/or you don't receive email news from the DNRthen you probably do not have an email address registered with the DNR. If theyhave an old email address or you aren't sure follow the link and to see if youare registered or to setup an account. They will let you know if you have anaccount or not and they can help you figure out your password. It is importantwe get as many people to fill this survey out as possible. Talk to people andmake sure they are registered with the DNR. If you are a landowner who isn'trequired to buy a license then you might not have an account. Therefor you willneed to register to get your voice heard.

Please once you get the survey take the 10 minutes tofill it out and help our state deer biologist get the information he needs.

I'm still waiting.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Good gravy that thing was insanely repetitive and some of the questions were "leading". IE, they didn't give you an option to disagree with their method, you had to pick one of 2 slightly different variations of "Would you prefer the DNR do this or that?" when "this" and "that" weren't that drastically different.

I also wished for a comment section because through ALL of the repetitiveness I feel they completely missed the thoughts/feelings of a large group of hunters centered around the sharpshooters thing. Sharpshooters may be more effective at reducing population and preventing CWD spread, but at what cost?

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I did their survey a couple of nights ago. What a load of B.S.
    My take away was the DNR wants us to agree to let them do whatever they see fit to do with our deer herd, all in the best interest of our deer, of course.
    MANY repetitive questions, all right, and about 32 on CWD and not the first question about EHD, which is actually here, now.
    "What would you do if CWD was found in 8 out of 10 deer?"
    Why business as usual. No changes. <------ read in Purple text, please.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Personally I don't think that would work. Bonus antlered tag for mature bucks with smaller racks revolve around the hunter drawing the tags to know the diffrence. 99% of hunters dont know a 2 yr old from a 6 yr old.
    I hadn't thought of that. 99% seems a little high but I do know several who couldn't. I, personally, have a pretty large deer population where I hunt(private ground). Lots of small bucks. I try to take deer based on what I see. I can certainly see how my idea might not work statewide.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Every area is diffrent. I know in my area there is no need for bonus antlered tags, but most hunters I know have no clue on age. They kill a good buck, and say they have been after him for 8 years, then you see the buck, and no sagging belly, long pointy nose, etc, etc.

Top Bottom