• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm heading to Iowa the end of the month for a day of pheasant hunting on a preserve. I have a Benelli SBE II that I've only used for turkey hunting thus far and today I pulled the pistol grip stock, rail and red dot off of it and installed a standard stock in preparation for the trip. My pheasant hunting experience is very limited and it's been years since I went out. Looking for recommendations on what loads and what choke I should be looking at?

The Benelli is a 12ga with 26" barrel. The preserve is a relatively high dollar operation so I'm assuming they do good job of raising the birds without much human interaction so I'm planning for needing to make shots at reasonable distances rather than needing to kick them in the rump to get them airborne.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I'm heading to Iowa the end of the month for a day of pheasant hunting on a preserve. I have a Benelli SBE II that I've only used for turkey hunting thus far and today I pulled the pistol grip stock, rail and red dot off of it and installed a standard stock in preparation for the trip. My pheasant hunting experience is very limited and it's been years since I went out. Looking for recommendations on what loads and what choke I should be looking at?

The Benelli is a 12ga with 26" barrel. The preserve is a relatively high dollar operation so I'm assuming they do good job of raising the birds without much human interaction so I'm planning for needing to make shots at reasonable distances rather than needing to kick them in the rump to get them airborne.
    Back when I did such things in the Dakotas, I found 2-3/4 6 or 7 shot with a modified choke to be my sweet spot for jumping pheasants. A decent number of wild birds will hold until you step on them too. Having a good dog will make a huge difference in what range you will be shooting at..

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We'll be hunting over dogs as I understand it. I know one is a pup being shown the ropes but there should be one or two experienced dogs out with us as well.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I would be carrying #6's and spare chokes for a single barrel in the vest until you get a feel for how close the dogs are working birds to get you a clean presentation to fire. I take a pair of Browning side by sides in 20 and 12 gauge with me for every hunt and the majority of the birds I take on the first shot is with the 20g using the left barrel (Improved) on that shotgun it's choked IMP/MOD.

The 12 gauge rarely see's any time in the field, unless the winds are sustained for the day and that is choked MOD/FULL.

Good luck on your hunt, enjoy it!

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Iirc member dnurk should be able to help you. Pm him.

:ingo:

We have shot a LOT of birds in Illinois, Iowa, the Dakotas, and Michigan over the past 28 years. I use modified probably 90% of the time. If I’m hunting skittish wild birds very late in the season or in really windy conditions I will use full. And pen raised birds here in Indiana or other local places don’t fly well so I will use IC.

Modified patterns well in my SBE but I’d still test it with your shotgun and preferred load. Speaking of which, the only shells I will shoot now for birds out west is 3” Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #6. I’ve seen countless birds hit hard with other shells only to see them hit the ground and run. Golden pheasant loads have consistently produced cleaner kills and fewer lost birds. Can not recommend those shells enough.

Good luck and take take lots of pictures.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Lead shot allowed? If not, a Hevi-shot of some type would be recommended. 6 size would be as small as I would go. Don't forget about your leads. Shot size is less important than getting the pattern where it needs to be. Mod choke is generally correct.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks for the tips gentlemen. Sounds like modified and #6 is the way to go. I'll at least start there and see how things go. Hoping to make a trip or two out for some clays before heading west.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    OP..... JEALOUS!!

You're going to have an awesome time. There is simply nothing like being in the field with some good working dogs putting birds in the bag.

I usually go with a Browning O/U with an improved cylinder and modified. Fiocchi makes the best bird ammo out there.... just my opinion. I usually go with 2 3/4 and 5 shot.

Bring back some pics.... would love to see landscape and the harvest.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    :ingo:
    Speaking of which, the only shells I will shoot now for birds out west is 3” Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #6. I’ve seen countless birds hit hard with other shells only to see them hit the ground and run. Golden pheasant loads have consistently produced cleaner kills and fewer lost birds. Can not recommend those shells enough.

Good luck and take take lots of pictures.

It's tough to overstate how good Fiocchi shells are for pheasant hunting.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Picked up a box of Winchester 2 3/4" 1 3/8 oz 1300 fps copper plated #6 last month for reasons other than pheasant; but if I were to go pheasant hunting any time soon, that's what I'd take.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    OP..... JEALOUS!!

You're going to have an awesome time. There is simply nothing like being in the field with some good working dogs putting birds in the bag.

I usually go with a Browning O/U with an improved cylinder and modified. Fiocchi makes the best bird ammo out there.... just my opinion. I usually go with 2 3/4 and 5 shot.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Never seen a shell pattern better than the nickel plated shot in the Fiocchi pheasant loads, those really are outstanding!

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Yes they are!

I used to figure there was not much difference in bird shells.... I was WRONG.

Agreed, I've seen *lesser* quality shotguns pattern better than they had a right to with those loads the plating over the lead produces flat out amazing results. That's my nice way of saying some of the cheap screws I hunt with that tote trash shotguns actually have a fighting chance lol!

I have seen them used in high winds hunting some tough birds in the Dakotas on shots I wouldn't have taken and they produced DRT hits every time, I couldn't buy them fast enough money well spent to have them in your kit for sure.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    OP..... JEALOUS!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

+1. It's the thing I miss most about my grandfather. Quail and pheasant hunting in Nebraska.... back then we just asked people to hunt their property.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Phylo, I don't know what that Benelli weighs, or how long you'll be carrying it, but, I've got a Winchester 101 20g you are more than welcome to take with you.

Top Bottom