• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Is it too early to start a thread like this?

I'm heading out this weekend to set a new tree stand in an area where I found heavy activity during last season.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Not at all too early! I frost seeded some durana (white) clover last weekend. Got my mineral blocks and oats bought up along with lime and fertilizer. That's about all I've done in 2018.

I did buy a tractor also. An old 8n. That's gonna make plotting much easier compared to my little atv.

KGS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2014
    Crawfordsville
    In a couple of weeks when its warmer I'm going to build a couple of blinds where I hunt so the deer will be used to them when bow season gets here. I like to track their movements in the snow and get a better idea of exactly where to put my blinds. It usually works out really well.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Putting out minerals, but it's a little too early for me to plant anything. Sure hope this year is better than last which was unusually poor.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'll be scouting my new property this year.
    I (me and my two brothers) were just gifted 50 acres of dense woods.
    It boasts year round water, is surrounded by crop fields, and is almost inaccessible from 2 sides.
    It's more or less what I've been dreaming of for years.

My new property begins at the roads edge. A 2 lane county road. It's paved, and highly traveled, but there's very little room to pull over. There is one or two flat spots to pull in a truck, but the rest starts to drop within yards of the road edge. In some places it's but feet before the drop.
    800 feet of road-side, but no-where to park! I like that...

O.k. the drop is about 80 feet, and is a pretty even slope of maybe 60 degrees.
    At the bottom of the hill the property is more or less flat as a pancake, but covered in foliage.
    I think I can get about a 300 yard range in if I clear a path across the short direction of the property.
    I might get close to 800 length wise.

I want to go just over the drop of the hill and dig me out a few "pill-box" blinds.
    Dig them back into the hillside just a bit, then build a shack front and a rudimentary roof.

I have a lot of clearing, digging, planting, building...
    It's going to be one of my busiest off-seasons in years.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I'll be scouting my new property this year.
    I (me and my two brothers) were just gifted 50 acres of dense woods.
    It boasts year round water, is surrounded by crop fields, and is almost inaccessible from 2 sides.
    It's more or less what I've been dreaming of for years.

My new property begins at the roads edge. A 2 lane county road. It's paved, and highly traveled, but there's very little room to pull over. There is one or two flat spots to pull in a truck, but the rest starts to drop within yards of the road edge. In some places it's but feet before the drop.
    800 feet of road-side, but no-where to park! I like that...

O.k. the drop is about 80 feet, and is a pretty even slope of maybe 60 degrees.
    At the bottom of the hill the property is more or less flat as a pancake, but covered in foliage.
    I think I can get about a 300 yard range in if I clear a path across the short direction of the property.
    I might get close to 800 length wise.

I want to go just over the drop of the hill and dig me out a few "pill-box" blinds.
    Dig them back into the hillside just a bit, then build a shack front and a rudimentary roof.

I have a lot of clearing, digging, planting, building...
    It's going to be one of my busiest off-seasons in years.
    Sounds like a labor of love. Good luck and have fun working your new ground!

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Not at all too early! I frost seeded some durana (white) clover last weekend. Got my mineral blocks and oats bought up along with lime and fertilizer. That's about all I've done in 2018.

I did buy a tractor also. An old 8n. That's gonna make plotting much easier compared to my little atv.

Enjoy your 8n. I bought a Jubilee a couple years ago. I used it to for my plot. I have been impressed by the power the old Ford tractors have. It should work well for you.

Top Bottom