• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It's been over two years since we lost our little Mountain Cur Bella to a vehicle...For two years I have been listening to my daughter sigh and say, "I miss Bella....We should get another dog....On a spur of the moment the wife and I agreed....Looks like we are getting a Boykin Spaniel...My brother has a trained Springer and the two breeds are similar....We got woodcock on the property and enough property where we can put some farm raised quail on for training and hunting....I have hunted with a Boykin Spaniel on doves 27 years ago at Lost River Game Farm and fell in love with the breed then....

We get to pick him up after Derby...The gentleman raises quail and will have already introduced him to quail before we pick him up....

J & C Boykins - Breeder of Boykin Spaniels

pups3.jpg

They are also considered "Turkey Dogs".....

rhturkey1.jpg
    tumblr_owlzfeeFzC1tbxmiro1_500.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Harleyrider ghost post via my email....Thank you for the kind words Harleyrider...

[FONT=&amp]Aaaayyyy, Rick (an' clan).....[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Congrats on'a new heathern!......got new baby here's well !....brought her home 1st wk Feb....Golden Retriever...'Ellie'...[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]She'a daddy's girl, now le'me tell ya....lol....GREAT disposition.....great with all'a my other heatherns.....18 wks ol', now...[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Never lost 1 ta accidents....none 'at kind'a thing.....but I've lost 4, an' I tell ya....have lost fam'ly....an' not be'as tore up, as lose'n 1 my heatherns....
    103Qpcckk2Zp_jVr-VgnmeZ2uWmVB7DQzD4IcZV-17AZ_-pJQ__eT_JSxsyfBCgELbrgdEiS_ioNI626flVtyrnLVLANMsBBs7KjDeojoXY_3rwoY5AzSA=s0-d-e1-ft
    ......[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Tell people all'a time.....if lose'n a child....is ANYthin' remotely close ta that......I don' wanna xperience it.....
    y7bWf96jYaFZYlo_UZGlAwM9K-jBC7pLrLxCCohsfX3ybrPPTy02ltjXo5orChwz2aXFk4OSKCm5tX2j3zLxTiDVFbgJA90Di7xJ_QyUG8aAEa-jWAZD=s0-d-e1-ft
    ....They'r all here....an' I'a be back with'em sum'ese times....Yup....
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]At's great news on'a new addition !.....
    GYA1uR9scNYg9S9rglqZJKfCAgXtH37F-_VhDp0MWFt-jWj9ArIE0fBO_GRjl0iqvdQhOF1NVZGNQaOsVowaw_pNbnu88hOqk4cYBnIh0S5ozJnviE0Vnw=s0-d-e1-ft
    [/FONT]

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Congrats. looks like a nice breed. Don't believe I ever met one in person.

They are out of SC....They wanted a smaller retriever to be able to get in and out of the small punts they used without tipping over the boat...Here is a pic of the man whom the breed is named after......

31727824_1397545778.jpg

[FONT=&quot]L. W. "Whit" Boykin (1861-1932), a planter, land appraiser and well-known sportsman of the Boykin community just outside Camden, South Carolina, along with his kinsmen the Canteys, experimented with many breeds to resolve the problems posed by their Wateree hunting trips. With selective breeding and a little luck, Boykin developed a small multipurpose retriever now known as the Boykin spaniel.

[/FONT]
    Lady03.jpg

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Very interesting. I'd never heard of that breed until now. We had several Springer Spaniels when I was growing up, and they were all great pets and they lived to hunt.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Nice. I looked at getting one when I got my last dog. The Boykin made the final 3 of breeds I was considering alog with a Pudelpointer and Braque Francais.

Wife didn't like the idea of the longer hair and thoughts of trying to get burrs out. But just about everything else I was looking for. I wonder if anyone else has one in Indiana? Can't be many.

I think I saw something recently about the plantation where the breed was developed being for sale. I thought it was a working hunting preserve.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Pretty sure they weren't around when I got my dog 8 years ago. Or at least I didn't find them.

Bob Huddleson at Lost River Game Farm was the first person I know of that had them in Indiana...Early 90's IIRC...I fell in love with them then...

We got a pic of the pups nursing on mama...Nice to know one of those pups will be with us after Derby....

Names under consideration...

Boone

Duke

Colt

Wesson

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Thanks for sharing and showing me a new spaniel breed. We have had 4 springers and love the breed, although the 2 I have right now are not much for hunting.. they are more a couch potato spaniel... 1 shows some promise he has caught a squirrel recently and loves exploring more and more. Going to work with both this spring out in the woods and the pond.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Bob Huddleson at Lost River Game Farm was the first person I know of that had them in Indiana...Early 90's IIRC...I fell in love with them then...

We got a pic of the pups nursing on mama...Nice to know one of those pups will be with us after Derby....

Names under consideration...

Boone

Duke

Colt

Wesson

I remember seeing his Boykin in the early mid-90s. I have hunted at that place probably 3 or 4 times back then. Fun trips.

I have one very specific memory of hunting there. I had a big female Weimaraner back then and shot a pheasant that fell over a pretty high fence, probably about 5 feet tall. That dog saw the bird go down and flew over the fence, her last foot catching then getting caught as she went over.

Dog was hung up hanging from the ankle on her back leg until I cold get to her, get over the fence myself because she was on the far side. I got her loose after a couple minutes and figured she would mope back to the truck or be limping so bad I would hunt her any more.

Hell, as soon as she hit the ground she was off like a bat out of hell and retrieved that bird. Best retrieving dog I have had. Was a hell of a duck dog too. She made what was over a quarter mile mile swim after a wounded duck, tracked it up though some woods, back down into a cat tail marsh and brought that duck back. Took 30 minutes or more but she never gave up when she knew there was a bird out there.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I remember seeing his Boykin in the early mid-90s. I have hunted at that place probably 3 or 4 times back then. Fun trips.

I have one very specific memory of hunting there. I had a big female Weimaraner back then and shot a pheasant that fell over a pretty high fence, probably about 5 feet tall. That dog saw the bird go down and flew over the fence, her last foot catching then getting caught as she went over.

Dog was hung up hanging from the ankle on her back leg until I cold get to her, get over the fence myself because she was on the far side. I got her loose after a couple minutes and figured she would mope back to the truck or be limping so bad I would hunt her any more.

Hell, as soon as she hit the ground she was off like a bat out of hell and retrieved that bird. Best retrieving dog I have had. Was a hell of a duck dog too. She made what was over a quarter mile mile swim after a wounded duck, tracked it up though some woods, back down into a cat tail marsh and brought that duck back. Took 30 minutes or more but she never gave up when she knew there was a bird out there.

That's the one...She always rode around with Bob in his old orange jeep sitting beside...Thanks for sharing your story about your dog....That's a wonderful dog with a lot of heart right there...

Top Bottom