• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Anybody recommend a competent pond builder in the SoIn/Louisville area?

Wife and I have 28 acres of timber in Clark Co. and would like to build a 0.5-1 acre pond on the property for fishing. My brother is in the excavation business in Kentucky and has done many farm and retention ponds there, but I'm thinking someone that knows the local soil would be best, and I know not any ole "dirt guy" is good at making ponds that don't leak.

Thankfully, the soil is FULL of clay.

Probably wouldn't do this project until next year, but I figure I can start the homework now...thanks!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Make sure you aren't around karst ground. I've seen plenty of ponds drain away.

Extremely valid concern anywhere on the Mitchell plain, and the Muscatatuck and Charlestown Hills bedrock groups aren't much better.

Clark County is a helluva mixed bag, so you MIGHT be alright, but you might not too.

-Nate

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Contact your local USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service for information on soils and karst conditions in the area. They will also have info on local contractors with pond building experience. You should find the phone number under US Gov. in phone book. Also a Google search will locate them for you.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I know a guy that could help.

VUnvpch.jpg

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I looked into a pond last year. I went to the court house for the permit paperwork and to ask questions. They supplied me with a couple companies in my area that they recommended for ponds. I got quotes on a 1 acre pond from 4 companies and there were anywhere from $34k-$45k. If I had a brother in the excavating business I would definitely talk to him first. The worst case scenario is have his start moving most of the dirt and then hire someone for the fine tuning of it.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I looked into a pond last year. I went to the court house for the permit paperwork and to ask questions. They supplied me with a couple companies in my area that they recommended for ponds. I got quotes on a 1 acre pond from 4 companies and there were anywhere from $34k-$45k. If I had a brother in the excavating business I would definitely talk to him first. The worst case scenario is have his start moving most of the dirt and then hire someone for the fine tuning of it.

The prices you got quoted are CRAZY HIGH !!! I would think it would be 10-15k for an acre underwater . That also all depends on what has to be done a far as trees and enough available dirt for a dam . Building a pond is an art , you don't just dig a hole and it fills with water .

Top Bottom