• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I own an IR Hunter MK3 and, recently, I purchased a Pulsar digisight ultra N355. I figured I'd give my opinions on the two.

IR Hunter MK3

PROS:
    1. Best detection
    2. Infinite focus
    3. Easy to learn and use

CONS:
    1. At $7,499 it's expensive
    2. Affected by humidity
    3. Horrible battery life.

If you're wanting to see a target 1,000+ yards away, a thermal cannot be beat. You can easily see mice at 100+ yards. We've watched windmills at over ten miles away. However, thermal scopes are expensive. You can get one starting at $2,000, but you're giving up a lot of clarity which tends to be an issue even with a high end thermal. With a thermal, you have to learn an animal's characteristics in order to identify them. A possum and a raccoon look similar until you learn their differences. I almost shot a small German Shepherd until I realized it wasn't acting like a coyote. Humidity really affects a thermal scope. High humidity will give you a blurry washed out picture. Since it senses heat, a thermal isn't affected by lack of light. We hunted one night and it was so dark that we couldn't see each other five yards away. The thermal didn't have an issue.

Pulsar digisight ultra N355
    PROS:
    1. At $1,300, it's much more affordable
    2. Picture is much better at closer range.
    3. Not as easy to learn.

CONS:
    1. Relies on ambient light
    2. Manual focus
    3. Battery is somewhat better, but still not great

This model is a mid/high range model and it's still cheaper than low end thermals, so that is definitely a plus. Since I've purchased it, all of my shots have been at sixty yards, so I can't comment on shots beyond that. However, at sixty yards, the night vision blows the thermal away in terms of target recognition. You can easily tell what kind of animal you are looking at. The biggest downfall is the fact that night vision relies on ambient light. Obviously, you can get an IR light, but I've read that coyotes can see some of the infrared spectrum. On bright nights, you can see, but I've found that IR light is still nice to have.

If asked which one to buy, I'm going to say thermal every time but night vision is definitely useable. I am not the all knowing guru, but I wanted to let everyone know my experience.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sounds like a combination would be an interesting tool. IR to detect something out there and NV to identify with certainty and for shot placement.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I've been wanting thermals for a long long time. I ended up getting some cheap nods on here. Sightmark binos. I used them for a maximum of 2 hours total and they just stopped working. Guess paying $100 for something, you get what you pay for. It's just so hard to justify the investment.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Scope, goggles, handheld? I can see benefits and concerns with each. Just wondering what seems to the go to. I am thinking NV more than thermal due to cost.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Mine are scopes since they can do it all, though not as well as the other options can. Scanning with a rifle mounted scope is a pain when scanning 360 but it can do it. My next will be a helmet mounted monocular.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    My ideal setup would be hand held thermal for scanning, night vision for navigating, and thermal for shooting. It's just a matter of money. :laugh:

I dont have enough!

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I have a night vision scope and the major negative that I've discovered since buying it is that you really can't use night vision in the woods. Since the technology relies on starlight, getting under a canopy of trees is a no-go. Even looking into a wooded area from an open area doesn't work well. Unfortunately, I live in the middle of the woods.

Top Bottom