• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have put feeders out but the results have been a bit underwhelming. I was told that you need to put something in to preserve the feed solution or it goes bad in a week or so. What are you guys putting in your feeders and how often do you clean and replenish them?

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Two females hummers spotted Monday the 30th N.W. Johnson County. Last year this time we had many flowers in bloom they did not use the feeder, the season is so far behind. But with 80* in the forecast everything will catch up soon.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have two oriole feeders out but haven't seen the hummingbirds or the orioles at them so far. With the warm up, I figure I need to get a couple more out for this weekend.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I posted too soon! I have three Orioles and a hummingbird that I saw just a few minutes ago fighting over the one feeder I have out. Just pulled out 8 more feeders and put a batch of food on the stove for them. They have arrived in the northern part of the state!

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I thought I saw one the other day but wasn't for sure until this morning. I made up my usual 4 solution of 4 cups water with one cup sugar bring it to a low boil let sit to cool then put in feeders. Depends on how hot the weather is as to how often I change my water. At least once a week for sure. It keeps the hummers healthy and I read that if they sit in the sun and the temp is over 80 the water should be changed about every 4 days. Love to see the hummers back and my pretty yellow finches. We also have a nice big woodpecker too with his big red comb that comes around once in a while. Of course his name is Woody.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I got some great pictures yesterday of the Orioles. I sat out in the back yard for about 20 minutes and saw at least 8 males and 3 females. They emptied one feeder that I had put out. I had only filled it about half way so the food wouldn't spoil if they didn't eat it quick enough. HA! I ended up putting out two orange halves, two dishes of jelly and another full feeder and had to replace the nectar feeder already this morning. The oranges are just about demolished and half of the jelly is gone. I have never had this many Orioles. I'm seeing just a few hummingbirds, but they are here.

ntLzSTW.jpg

dwoYf1R.jpg

I manage to get four in one picture here...

OrAmoTm.jpg

tzjE8RN.jpg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Hummers in Brown County this fine Saturday.. 5 feeders up.

4 catbirds, male and female rose breasted grosbeaks, downy, hairy and red bellied woodpeckers. Plus the usual cardinals and jays. My favorite, the brown thrasher is still around.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom