• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    7:25am on opening day in Fulton county. 24#, 1" spurs and a 10 3/4" beard.

attachment.php

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Congrats! My hunting partner tagged out opening morning also, unfortunately I can't get out until tomorrow. The good news is that for the first time since 2013 it's looking like I might actually have a chance at killing a bird on our farm, typically they're well past done with the desired behaviors by the time season opens.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    Done at 7:20 this morning, good hard gobbling 2 yr. Old.
    Congratulations to you all. I have worked real hard hunting this year, but Tom has bettered me so far. I have seen five birds three were toms but I can't call them in or they were too far or they made me. Turkeys can run like nothing I have never seen in the woods, mostly silent and fast. Still, hunting is a lot of fun and like most endeavors persistence is eventually rewarded. With the late spring it seems easier to see and be seen in the woods this year.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Had one gobbling almost continually for 45 minutes the morning. In the roost, 100y or so away. I gave some occasional soft yelp and cuts. He’d respond but finally flew down and marched off a different direction. Can’t figure this out!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    All quiet again this morning, it's strange this year with the season being late, but spring is late as well. The vegetation in the forest squares with a regular season even being late in April, maybe the turkey's internal clock works off of something else.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    My dad and I doubled this morning. First time to double up. Only heard one gobble on the roost way off. Sat til 7:15 and moved to the next field. I saw two gobblers and three hens at the other end. They made it around a wooded point. We took off around to the point and got set up in the woods. I called a couple of times. The second time one gobbled and was close. The pair came right in and I shot the first one. As it was flopping the other just watched and followed it. He got into an opening and my dad shot him. They were just two year olds but to me a long beard is a long beard!!

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    I went bot this past Saturday and a Sunday. Saw two Jakes Saturday -no clean shot, and spooked one Jake this morning. Otherwise...no chirps, clucks, gobbles...nothing.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Had an awesome morning yesterday, heard more gobbles than we've ever heard on our place. My hunting partner was at the farm all week and watched a big boy strutting in the same place two days in a row so he put up a blind. At daybreak we heard three gobblers a hundred yards or so behind us in the woods. We listened to them and made the occasional soft call for the next hour and a half, we could tell they were moving around but never coming within sight (woods are fairly open in that area). Finally we saw a hen haulin across the middle of the field to our right and then heard a gobble from where she'd come out. Looked over and there was one of them at the field edge and the other two showed minutes later.

They stood staring at the blind for what seemed like and eternity before starting to head back into the woods. I started with the most pathetic, longing yelps and purrs I could make with the mouth call and they started our way but 25 yards within the woods. After several more minutes they finally decided to check out the decoys and in they came. I nailed this guy in the back of the head at 18 yards and it was lights out. They other two stuck around for another five minutes beating on my bird then on the decoys, we finally just started talked in our normal voices to get them to walk off. I really, really wanted this one to be my first bird with a bow but with the large blind openings and how hinked up they were I decided to play it safe. This is the first bird I've killed on our farm since 2013 and I'm excited. Our bird population is stronger than ever thanks to significant efforts to keep the coyote population under control.

S5kdIa2h.jpg

ExKupHah.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Brought in two jakes this morning, they completely missed the decoy and were almost in my lap. They will need to up their game soon or they'll be dinner for some coyote.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    My hunting partner and myself both tagged out a day early on our Oklahoma Rio Grande turkey hunt. Just got home about 8 hours ago. I'll take care of some business around the house today then head out tomorrow morning to hunt here in Indiana.

OepI0E9.jpg

H9FlXb6.jpg

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Here is the picture from our double this past Saturday. You’ll have to excuse my dad as he didn’t realize he didn’t have the tail feather in his left hand.

1A5ko64.jpg

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    This post is a few days late. Life got in the way and last night I finally had a chance to sit down at the editing machine. After a few frustrating days in Indiana, I finally got on some birds this past Sunday. I found them late that morning and watched them for a couple of hours before deciding to do an evening setup and catch them as they made their way to their general roost area. The plan worked perfectly. A complete decapitation with a Magnus Bullhead. Enjoy and thanks for watching!

[video=youtube;24ln8BLfjaQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24ln8BLfjaQ[/video]

Ah7AIpQ.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We’re back in KY this morning. Been raining steady since before daybreak and fog has rolled in and out a few times. Had a longbeard show up 250yds out and it took him 45 minutes to work our way. We need to work on our range estimation as we both thought he was within range. He was extremely nervous so we didn’t want to move enough to get the rangefinder out so when he started to walk away I took the shot and he dropped. I must have spines him as he dropped in place but was still alive when I got to him. Partner hit me with the rangefinder while I was at the bird, 77yds. Can’t say enough about these Jeb’s choke tubes and Winchester Longbeard XR, quite an effective combo.

Top Bottom