• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Last Friday afternoon I was driving on I-94 near Eau Claire Wisconsin, heading home to Indiana. Saw a dead black bear on the shoulder. That was a first for me. Used to seeing dead whitetails all the time, but not bears.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Eight or ten years ago I saw one in the median on a Florida highway.
    Really surprised me too. Biggest dead animal I've ever seen on the road.

One other time, while traveling through Kentucky, I heard a report on the radio that there had been a livestock hauler overturned on the off ramp just miles ahead.
    When we drove up on the scene it was so surreal.
    There had to be 100+ dead hogs. They were EVERYWHERE scattered around the off ramp grass.
    My nephew asked if the crash killed all of the pigs.
    I told him that the police had likely shot all of the loose hogs to prevent them from wandering onto the highway.

.That is a weird sight to see.
    100+ dead hogs in one place leaves a lasting impression.

No idea who got to haul off all the bacon...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Eight or ten years ago I saw one in the median on a Florida highway.
    Really surprised me too. Biggest dead animal I've ever seen on the road.

One other time, while traveling through Kentucky, I heard a report on the radio that there had been a livestock hauler overturned on the off ramp just miles ahead.
    When we drove up on the scene it was so surreal.
    There had to be 100+ dead hogs. They were EVERYWHERE scattered around the off ramp grass.
    My nephew asked if the crash killed all of the pigs.
    I told him that the police had likely shot all of the loose hogs to prevent them from wandering onto the highway.

.That is a weird sight to see.
    100+ dead hogs in one place leaves a lasting impression.

No idea who got to haul off all the bacon...

Most likely the carcass's went to a local rendering facility.

Colt1860

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2017
    Tell City
    stoddard.jpg
    moose are big creatures too

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    Uhhh, I call for a ruling from the Umpires. Does it count as roadkill if it technically died in the front seat? And I think we can all agree this driver is a) lucky to be alive; and b) not dumping that carcass on the white line and goin' on down the road. :popcorn:

Seriously though, awesome photo.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Hitting a bear must be like running into a brick wall.:n00b:

But a moose has to be the worst. Their long legs raise all that mass right up to windshield level. Hope that driver had time to duck.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Hitting a bear must be like running into a brick wall.:n00b:

But a moose has to be the worst. Their long legs raise all that mass right up to windshield level. Hope that driver had time to duck.

Loose horses and moose. They'll kill you the entire time they're dying.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Loose horses and moose. They'll kill you the entire time they're dying.

I have hit a horse. Both me and the horse lived.;)

He was standing parallel to the road on the right side, right in front of a large mailbox. The horse was black, it was dark. I was driving a pickup. I had my low beams on for an approaching car. When the car passed and I hit the high beams, there was the horse. Munching the tall grass around the base of the mailbox. He must have heard me coming because right when I came along side of him, he raised his head and swung it out to the left. His head shattered my windshield, his neck crushed in the A pillar, which shattered the passenger side window, and ripped the mirror off. I was probably doing 40MPH when I hit him. The horse ran out in a field and just stood there. He was a little bloodied up, but otherwise fine. Better off than my truck anyways.:rolleyes:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have ht a few deers in my life time. the deer shot out of nowhere and stood right in front of my car, i rqn over it and i looked at the rear it'view mirror, saw it got up and went on it's way

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    One Whitetail for me. Barely clipped his ass end with my right front fender which broke the headlight and mangled the fender but didn’t even hurt the hood of my car. I went back and looked for him he must’ve walked off. I was probably only doing 40 when he popped out in front of me.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I was on 90 in MN last year and witnessed a Tropper walking up on a black bear that had been hit and was attempting to crawl away.He had his shotgun and I assume that he did what had to be done. I personally get kind of emotional about animals killed by vehicles such a waste.
    I have hit several deer at 70 mph in a semi just a red spray and it always seems to take out the bumper.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I personally get kind of emotional about animals killed by vehicles such a waste.

Me too. I ran over a 'possum last fall and I still think about it every time I go around that curve. One of these days I know I'm going to wreck my truck swerving to miss a frog. I figure if I do that, I'll tell them it was a huge deer and I barely missed it.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Saw a dead bear on I 94 just west of Jackson, MI a few years ago.

Saw a dead bobcat on I 75 N. of Atlanta, GA a couple weeks ago.

Both were firsts for me.

I have also seen a live Emu in the median of I 74 E of Shelbyville. I'm guessing that's a first for anyone not in Australia or New Zealand or wherever those things come from.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Driving a semi for over 20 yrs now, I've seen about everything but bison and cougar. Personally, only nailed a couple of whitetails and a possum with the truck. I've had a few near misses with hawks though. Had one throw his mouse at me trying to gain altitude on US35 in southern Ohio a couple of years ago.
    One of the deer happened right in front of the CO's drive that lives about 2 miles from me. Bobtail tractor doesn't even slow down for a 75 lb doe.

One day In AR there were several State Troopers trying to corral a couple ostriches. That was entertaining.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I saw a dead weasel on the road once. It made me concerned about my local politicians for some reason...

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I saw a road kill Black bear in West Virginia, it was my first and only. I went back to look again and took a picture too. Terrible shame that it happened but it does happen.

Top Bottom