Any word on public land rifles for 2018 deer season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Last year they pushed a last minute "fix" reverting to .357+ calibers for the 2017 season. Is there any word on an actual fix allowing rifles on public land for 2018?

It's early but I'm starting to think about purchase decisions for later this year if I'm not going to be able to use my SKS or other .30 cal rifles.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I made my purchase. A .450 bushmaster. Don't count on any high-powers being legal for public land any time soon. Hope I'm wrong. In the mean time, something in the upper end of center-fire cartridges legal for public would be a safe bet.

From the Indiana DNR website: https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/7389.htm

Equipment on Public Land

All the rifle cartridges that were legal in recent years are still legal on Public Land, "Public land" includes both state and federal property.

A summary of rifle cartridges for Public Lands:

Rifles chambered for cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger, have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches, and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms, youth, reduction zones from Nov. 18-Jan. 31 (in zones where local ordinances allow the use of a firearm), and special antlerless seasons.

Some cartridges legal for deer hunting on public include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf. Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I believe there's gonna be a special legislative session this year, but none of the articles I saw indicated they were planning any fix to the law. Might just have to pick up a .44 or .45 Colt lever gun.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I would like to see the law changed to allow the same cartridges on both private and public land, but it will just have me buying more barrels for my T/C's. I agree with Hookeye in that the trimmed 35 Remington is a pretty handy round. I have been using a rimmed version of it for several years now and do not feel limited in any shots that have been presented.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    With several news reports this past year about errant bullets hitting people's property, I would not look for anything to be loosened any further until things settle down.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    .35 rem trimmed is pretty darn nice.
    7600 or later 760 pump would be too cool.

Couldn't agree more, am DYING to buy a 7600 in 35 Remington as I already own and reload for 3 JM stamped Marlin 336c's, and they are out there with several FS at Gunbroker right now, but
    holly crap the asking prices for a 7600 in 35 Remington START at $750-$800 and quickly escalate to over $1k. Unfortunately I personally can not justify spending that amount of money on what is essentially a single use/application rifle, especially since I already have 3 absolutely gorgeous 336c's in 35 Remington.

But I continue to look just incase I stumble across a reasonably priced 7600.

Top Bottom