• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I spent several hours this weekend at our new property, cutting shooting lanes and constructing shoot houses.
    We're putting up several 8'x8' shoot houses that are about 5 feet off the ground, boxed in with windows overlooking the hillside.

Probably spent about an hour hauling supplies just inside the wood line, and another 6-8 hours digging post holes and framing out a platform with only hand tools.

When I returned home and got undressed to shower I found three ticks under my clothes.
    In the following 2 days I've found 2 more.

I had used some tick spray, but it was a year or so old and had ridden around in my glove box for the winter.
    I don't know if the stuff was affected by freezing weather, but I need something different.

Check yourself closely when coming out of the woods.
    The little bloodsuckers seem to be out in force this year.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What type spray were you using? I got a bottle of Permethrin that you put on your clothes to try this spring. I had heard good things about it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Between me, the wife, and our 2 dogs, we had more than 30 of the little ****ers on us during and after playing in the woods Saturday. Fortunately we found/killed them all before they attached. :faint:

Time to stock up on spray.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Permethrin is available at farm stores in concentrated form(hint: get the waterbased stuff) and can be diluted to usable strength. They also sell it prediluted in a yellow bottle in the hunting section at walmart, among others. Spray it on your clothes and let it dry. It will survive a couple of washes usually. Be aware that some people have a sensitivity to the stuff. If i sweat through sprayed clothes and continue to wear them i get a rash like poison ivy. Usually on myyazz. I have a friend in AR who has a much more severe reaction involving muscle weakness, dizzyness and general malaise. Though he may actually be part tick. Not sure.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Went on a 2.6 mile hike last weekend with a couple friends. They both had a tick on them after the hike. My wife and I were spared. Then just this past Saturday, my wife went hiking with 4 other ladies and two of them had ticks crawling on them.

I really don't care for them much...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Bonide carpenter ant and termite killer, permethrin and surfactant, we use it on our clothes and around the house.

As an experiment I put on white pants and a long sleeved shirt with a hat, nothing treated, and went for an hours hike. Took off over 60 ticks of various species. Our woods is called tick-a-minute land.

Seed ticks in August and September are dramatically worse.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I spray my trails & area around the barn on my land (otherwise all timber) with permethrin 36.8% concentrate from Amazon; simply fill a sprayer in the bed of my UTV with water, add the bottle, and commence chemical warfare. It is kinda like spitting in a hurricane, but I figure if I can just knock them down *a little* it'll be a huge benefit and sure enough it seemed to help immensely in 2017 after a God-awful 2016 tick season.

I did notice Tractor Supply in Sellersburg had permethrin 36.8% concentrate on the shelf last week for $29.99/bottle (similar to Amazon).

Also, Sawyer's permethrin spray on clothing is a MUST...absolutely douse pants, shirt, boots and socks and LET THEM DRY before wearing. I think the bottle says you get 4 washes between treatments, I tend to reapply after 2, no more than 3 washes to ensure protection. The stuff flat-out works...

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Also, there's a lyme disease vaccine for dogs...and our black lab has both a Seresto collar (works very well) and takes Bravecto.

I've pulled 30+ off of him before following a 2 hour jaunt through the woods, and literally thousands of seed ticks (lint roller is the absolutely best I've found to get those bastards off).

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I ordered it off amazon.
    Carful if you have cats. Permethrin and Pyrethrin can be dangerous to cats so you’ll want to use enough to serve the duel purpose.

disclaimer: post is intended to humorously warn of the potential dangers. I only make the disclaimer because if you’re a cat lover, you’re probably over sensitive.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I went on a hike in Martinsville with my 3 yr old on Monday evening. On the drive home I saw one crawling around on the seat of my car.

Jason

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    We went to Prophetstown park this weekend for an hour walk and pulled 5 off one dog and 0 off the other. Didn't find any on myself. Tossed all the dog beds in the dryer on high for 30 minutes to kill any that may have fallen off. Tick season this year seems worse

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    As an experiment I put on white pants and a long sleeved shirt with a hat, nothing treated, and went for an hours hike. Took off over 60 ticks of various species. Our woods is called tick-a-minute land.

Seed ticks in August and September are dramatically worse.

Yep.....When people ask what we raise at our little farm house I say, "Ticks....Got about 100,000 head of them...."

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    What type spray were you using? I got a bottle of Permethrin that you put on your clothes to try this spring. I had heard good things about it.

FWIW, I've been using Permethrin sold by Sawyer for at least 7 seasons and haven't found a tic on myself since using it and also been using on my two sons hunting cloths since they started
    hunting with me four years ago and they also have stayed tic free.

I fallow directions and spray it VERY liberally on all our camo pant legs from the knee down, the tops of our boots, the waists of our pants, the bottom of our shirts, cuffs of our LS shirts, cheep
    cotton gloves, and lastly our camo hats. Also I use turkey lounge chairs that allow us to never have to sit with our backs against trees and make a point to avoid sitting on or making contact with ddead trees or dead fallen tree trunks, both of which are tic magnets.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    My son and I were in Low Gap. 1/2 hour in to our hike he said I had 3 on me. We ended up with another 5 on me and 4 on him when we got to camp. They are BAD this year. Thankfully none were latched on.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I used permethrin on my clothes this past weekend as I was out hunting and camping a few days. Spent all day walking through brush and overgrown fields, and after day three, I only found 1 tick on my shin. I'd say the stuff works very well. I only sprayed it on my hunting gear since that was what I would have on while hiking through the waist deep wild mustard fields.

Top Bottom