Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

saving solid maple syrup

We have some maple syrup that has turned solid. Sounds like a rock rattling in the jug. Any way to save it? Any uses for it?

And yes, it is pure (local -- Indiana) maple syrup.

Thanks

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Pan of hot water, just like honey???

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Watch your jug and work up the heat slowly.

User Info Menu

Sounds like it turned to rock candy. The process is something like making rock candy. The sugar crystals start to form and keep growing. I had some do that some time ago. You could grind it up for a sweetener.

User Info Menu

I believe that means the the producer got the syrup too hot before bottling. My brother-in-law produces maple syrup commercially up in Michigan, and he had this problem a couple times when he was still a hobbyist.

We consider it junk.
    "The problem with internet quotations is that many are not genuine." -Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CampingJosh View Post
    I believe that means the the producer got the syrup too hot before bottling. My brother-in-law produces maple syrup commercially up in Michigan, and he had this problem a couple times when he was still a hobbyist.

We consider it junk.
    I agree with that. I used to make syrup and it seemed like it happened more to the syrup that I made too thick, which mean I was boiling it at a higher temperature. I always tried to stop mine at 219 degrees, but my thermometer would stick at times.

User Info Menu

We periodically have crystal sugar form in the bottom of some of our jars. It is simply maple sugar, the same thing early Hoosiers used for their sweetner because imported cane sugar was too expensive. Now it's the other way around.
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

“There's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.” - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

User Info Menu

I've seen this with local syrup, use as sugar rather than pitching it.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

This would be so cool to have you own maple syrup.

User Info Menu

It is very easy but time-consuming to make. If you have one maple or box elder tree over ten inches in diameter, you could make your own.

http://wildindiana.com/a-beginners-g...g-maple-syrup/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast