• ...and so much more!
  • MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I know that we have some reptile experts on the forum. Could someone help me with the identification of the snake pictured below ?
    He was in my woods in Owen county, and took an interest in me !

snake-XL.jpg

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Looks to be a Plains Garter snake. I see more of the Eastern Garter snakes in my area
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plains_garter_snake
    https://owlcation.com/stem/How-to-Identify-the-Snakes-of-Indiana (half way down the page under 15b on this page)

Very possible. It certainly fits the habitat traits, as this one was within an almost-always wet spot on my land. :yesway:

Well done sir! :yesway:

Thanks, KJ. I always keep a sharp eye for all the critters living around my humble getaway property. They fascinate me. :)

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Cool, I have never seen a garter snake marked like that. Ours down here are usually the boring variety. As a kid we'd catch snakes (non-venomous) and drop them down the post office drop box on the corner. Then watch as the mailman came and opened the box to collect the mail and laugh at his shocked reaction.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Cool, I have never seen a garter snake marked like that. Ours down here are usually the boring variety. As a kid we'd catch snakes (non-venomous) and drop them down the post office drop box on the corner. Then watch as the mailman came and opened the box to collect the mail and laugh at his shocked reaction.

Not as much fun as putting one in mom's underwear drawer:lmfao:...worst butt whoppin' I ever got but we still laugh about to this day! :abused:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    In about a month and a half after mating:

attachment.php

That Corn snake had over a hundred babies in her day. I still have her and she's getting ready to turn 21 years old.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    In about a month and a half after mating:

attachment.php

That Corn snake had over a hundred babies in her day. I still have her and she's getting ready to turn 21 years old.

My days of caring for little ones are over. The two Rat snakes will be released in the barn in two weeks, after the grandkids get here. Hopefully, I'll have about 15-20 little ones around October.

Top Bottom