• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Wait until a few more people start losing pets and small livestock.
    The public clamor will be too hard to ignore soon.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Glad they decided to wait.As much as I would love to hunt bobcats-I have seen at least 4 different one on trail cams on my property,I think waiting another year will be better. Probably 90% of the cats killed when we do have a season will be incidentals while deer hunting.Damage to pets and livestock?Probably the #1 predator on livestock(calves),and I would imagine they also kill fawns,are the black vultures.And of course coyotes!

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    The idnr officially sucks! 1300 biologists and wildlife care voiced their opinions. Who cares, biologist s from where? IU. When an organization let's liberal points of view dictate their mgmt of a predator population that is booming, it shows their lack of spine.

Kinda like the hnf not harvesting timber.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The NRC did not "strike down the proposal". The DNR director pulled it himself..before any votes were taken,,This was a done deal before the public meeting..

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    The NRC did not "strike down the proposal". The DNR director pulled it himself..before any votes were taken,,This was a done deal before the public meeting..

Just like their meetings on deer hunting-simply there to keep the natives calm when the decisions have already been made.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Just like their meetings on deer hunting-simply there to keep the natives calm when the decisions have already been made.

Yep.... I'd bet there was a lot of emailing, conference calls and maybe even a meeting or two BEFORE this adoption meeting..

The ARFs outdone us with the online input......

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    The fur bearer biologist that got the season on river otter, (species reintroduced), had bobcat(not introduced) 2nd on list, then took another job. The stalemate was not having a biologist, and a fear of a possible lawsuits due to lack of data and a biologist on staff. The new hire biologist compiles data and pushes for season. Director kills it, sounds like director does not have faith in staff.

The bobcat population was always present, unlike the otter. The cat population has exploded in the southern half of the state. The last two years I've seen and called in more cats than coyote. My uncle in law traps 1/2 dozen a year.

I used to kill my turkey on my farm every year, the Turkey are gone, last one I shot there was in 08. Only change is the presence of bobcat. With game bird populations going down in southern 1/2 & cat population going up, it's a trend.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    The fur bearer biologist that got the season on river otter, (species reintroduced), had bobcat(not introduced) 2nd on list, then took another job. The stalemate was not having a biologist, and a fear of a possible lawsuits due to lack of data and a biologist on staff. The new hire biologist compiles data and pushes for season. Director kills it, sounds like director does not have faith in staff.

The bobcat population was always present, unlike the otter. The cat population has exploded in the southern half of the state. The last two years I've seen and called in more cats than coyote. My uncle in law traps 1/2 dozen a year.

I used to kill my turkey on my farm every year, the Turkey are gone, last one I shot there was in 08. Only change is the presence of bobcat. With game bird populations going down in southern 1/2 & cat population going up, it's a trend.
    The big problem with otters was complaints about them raiding ponds,I personally know of a few people who had problems. Never heard of a legitimate complaint on bobcat. No doubt bobcat kill turkeys, but according to the local C.O.,the population has stabilized after the initial explosion the first few years. Basically will never be like 15 years ago.

Top Bottom