• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    This is our fourth summer on our property. We have a seven acre area in the back the previous owner leased for row crops. After talking with neighbors, I believe the field was first planted around 2010 or 2011, prior it was lush pasture.

I was fortunate to fall into a situation I couldn't refuse with some cattle and am turning the field back to pasture. In February/March threw 200 lbs of fescue over the field. I'm currently feeding the cattle hay and make sure to place the hay in a different area daily because I know the hay has seeds and can help seed the field.

I'm under no illusions of the project I have on my hands getting this field back to pasture. The fescue is taking nicely. I'd like to know what else needs to done, other than patience.

Thank you.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Seven acres?
    A shooting range comes to mind, although it probably won't help on make your pasture but......

it's a Shooting Range. :):

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Lime and fertilizer after a soil test. Then get a bag or two of suitable pasture mix seed. Fescue is only ok. It gets tough and unpalatable if it gets too big. Keep it short and fresh and it is ok. A good grass legume mix will be better for long term grazing. Disc ground then broadcast the seed. Keep cattle off of it until it is well established. Drilling seed in is best but may be a challenge to get someone with proper equipment to do 7 acres.

Top Bottom