• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Got a call today from my local police department about a road kill inside the city limits.
    When I picked it up it would have been hard to miss that she was lactating, but this doe still had a fetus inside.
    It wan't until I discovered the fetus that I realized she wasn't warm enough.

Unfortunately she had been hit pretty hard, and then abandoned.
    By the time I got the call and arrived on scene she was already cooling off and getting stiff.

The fetus was fully developed, but very small.
    It couldn't have weighed more than 20 pounds, if that.
    I was sad to see it was a buck.

I've gotten road kill in just about every month of the year in the past, but I've never butchered a deer and found a fetus.
    It got me wondering what time of year are fawns born?
    This is already the later part of May.
    I would have thought that would be late for a spring birth.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Antlers vary, usually on the ground by the first week of March around here or earlier. Does start popping out fawns in May but may run into June. Back during my agricultural days as a youngster you had to watch closely when cutting hay late May or early June for fawns. They don't move, so you had to stop and chase them off.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I have 2 does on my trail camera that are severely pregnant as in any day now they should be giving birth (also have several coyotes that keep showing up too looking for any new birth fawns). Mid May to Early June is typical birth time. I did have a doe on our property that gave birth last August which was the latest I had ever seen. The fawn still had spots and was weaning during hunting season. That doe and fawn must have walked past our blind a half dozen times during firearms and muzzleloader. We let them pass each time. Antlers shed February through mid March. New antlers are already showing on the bucks around here (not full grown antlers yet).

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We had quite a few bucks still sporting antlers the first week of April this year and saw several fawns last October with spots. I blame Al Gore.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Gestational period of the white tailed deer is 201 days. So late May for 1st rut. Late June for second rut, and for the few that were missed, and come into estrus a third time, you will have a few fawns born late July.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I usually see them on our farm memorial weekend . I've seen them in stages from still partially in the sac to running on fairly stable legs . I think they start right about now up until mid June

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    When a mommy deer and a daddy deer fall in love......

... they share a special kind of hug.

A few months later, a baby deer is born.

After that, the drinking starts. Not much at first, just a beer or wine cooler at dinner to settle the nerves and get a few hours of sleep. But then, it takes more and more to get that same feeling. Then its weekends on the golf course, having a few on the course, then more at the 19th hole. Then watching games with buddies at the wings place until all hours of the night, because those west coast games are REALLY late.

Then the calendar turns to football and hunting season. The couple spends more and more time apart until they barely know each other anymore.

They move on.

Then the rut starts all over again.

At least, that's what the Scout leader said back when he talked about the hunting merit badge.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Does are just starting to sport a slimmer physique here. Most are still very round and full bellied.

Antlers are growing nicely. I have a few bucks that are starting to develop tines on the racks.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I seen a set of twins on Sunday . They were probably just a day or two old , still had pretty wobbly legs and reluctant to move when we were walking past .

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I used to see new fawns at Eagle Creek Park in mid to late April.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have never seen any does slim down that early here. I do believe all of the does I have been watching have delivered now. I see much slimmer shapes in my back yard and on the cameras here...just waiting for them to bring the babies out now.

Top Bottom