• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    So I'm going on a backpacking elk hunt in Colorado this fall and would love to be able to carry my G20 with me. What are you all using for this kind of thing?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    So I'm going on a backpacking elk hunt in Colorado this fall and would love to be able to carry my G20 with me. What are you all using for this kind of thing?

Just my preference, but I suggest something of the "Alaska guide" set up.

There is some beautiful country around there. What area are you visiting?

I hope you do well with the elk; either way it is a great adventure!

Best wishes!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out. We're going to be up around Grand Junction, area 41.

Nice!!!

Just my experience, and others vary of course, I have kept away from dropped holsters and have done my best to minimize appendages.

Doing so makes moving through the woods, cover, brush, etc. a tad bit easier.

If, God forbid, you are trying to remain undiscovered and you are discovered by something like a bear or wolf, a defensive fetal position comes in useful.... as does having a gun close to your chest.

The real wilderness is not like the "urban jungle".

I stay away from drop leg stuff..but that's just me.

Enjoy the time! Absolutely nothing like it!

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I took my boys to Yellowstone last summer and carried a Glock 20 center position in a bellyband chest high. Trails get narrow in places and I saw others getting their holsters caught up in the brush/trees.

I'm on the Noblesville/Fishers border and would be more than happy to lend you mine if you want to try before you buy.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    When I spend time in bear country, I tend to have a 4" N-frame .44 in a Hill People Gear kit bag. It carries very well with a backpack.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Take a look at the Kenai Chest Holster. It is a kydex version of the alaskan guide holster. I don't have one, but I have handled one and told myself that I would got one if the need arose.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    i've carried in a m3 and m7 tanker holster in the thick woods and had no real problems with it snagging or anything. I think el paso saddlery makes them for glocks

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    Archery or rifle hunt? I think the chest holsters would be a great way to carry if rifle hunting or just hiking, but make sure they don't interfere with your draw cycle if archery hunting. I opted for a leather belt holster for my .44 while archery hunting in CO. Have fun and good luck!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My backpack has a zippered pocket on each side of the waist belt. I found that my Shield 9mm fits nicely inside. I plan to modify the pocket on the right side, adding a kydex retention holster to the inside, and I'm going to open up the top seam and add some velcro so that it will appear like the other pocket, with a zipper, but I'll be able to pull it open to draw.

I realize that a 9mm would not be anyone's choice for bear country, but it's what I carry backpacking, mostly in Indiana and Ky (so far). I also know that not everyone likes to DIY, but to do something like carry a gun on a backpack, the choices are sometimes limited, and you can make something that exactly fits your needs.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Archery or rifle hunt? I think the chest holsters would be a great way to carry if rifle hunting or just hiking, but make sure they don't interfere with your draw cycle if archery hunting. I opted for a leather belt holster for my .44 while archery hunting in CO. Have fun and good luck!

It'll be a rifle hunt. I really like the idea of the shapeshift backpack rig from Alien Gear, but they don't offer it for large framed glocks.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Agree with Freekforge. I carry a .357 mag with 180 Gr.hard cast in a Military tanker holster. stays out of the way and easy to hand. If you have to get up in the night, just loop it over your head and shoulder.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Agree about Tanker Style Rig. Deer Hunting with shotgun, CCW is 1911A1 in Chest carry Tanker. Non issue no problem. I open the adjustment strap to allow over jacket carry.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I second the Kenai chest rig. Great quality and very comfortable. I carry my 3” gp100 and 4” S&W 28-2 in one. They are not cheap, but comfort and quality will matter on your trip. I tried mine out under my eberlestock team Elk pack and it was comfortable. I should be down around Noblesville in the next month or so if you want to look at one.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Yeah Skullglide, I really think that is the way I'm going to be going. My only concern with it is that I'm going to be constantly taking it on and off to add or remove layers during the hunt. And the fact that it's dang expensive. But buy once cry once I guess.

Top Bottom