Is .38 Special shotshells enough for rattlesnakes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I am taking a trip to Montana next month to do some long range rifle shooting. The area I’ll be in is known to have rattlesnakes. I considered taking a 38 special wheelgun loaded with shotshells just in case I happen upon one. This would be a defense scenario, not a hunting scenario. Has anyone shot snakes before with 38 special shotshells? Is it enough to do the job? Is there a loss in performance from a snubby barrel? I’ve got K frames in 3”, 4” and 6” but I’d much prefer to take my 2” J frame. Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated, I don’t want to count on it if it’s not enough to do the job.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    From the performance I had if you are close enough for it to work the snake probably is biting you already. Better off just watching your step.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I've used them for smaller snakes (usually try not to kill them but occasionally it happens). I can't say how it would work on something larger like a rattlesnake. My friend uses a .410 like the Judge that he calls his snake charmer. Might want to get one of those.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Yea a buddy of mine has a Judge also that he will be bringing with on our trip. I’m definitely not going to buy another gun just for this, just figured if 38 special shotshells would do the job then it would be worth the cost of a box for some cheap insurance.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I can't speak for the 38s, but my wife dispatched a large black snake at five yards with a 44. I've tried to change her mind over the years and be more discriminating, but she just isn't a "spiders and snakes" woman.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I can't speak for the 38s, but my wife dispatched a large black snake at five yards with a 44. I've tried to change her mind over the years and be more discriminating, but she just isn't a "spiders and snakes" woman.

but black snakes kill mice and rats and the like.....they are number 1 on the don't kill snake list.....copperheads are number 1 on kill list....

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Buy a pack and do some testing on paper plates at different ranges. Only way to see how they group out of the different barrel lengths

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Your going to Montana. They have bears that can eat you. Snakes can't eat you.

Bring me along, I'll catch the snakes, and I'll bring a real gun for the bears. Face your irrational fears, and realize what the real danger is. Everybody dies, no one wants to be eaten.

By the way, its the ****ing bears that will eat you. I'm here to help. :cool:

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Yes, I have used shot cartridges in a 38 Charter Arms Undercover to kill venomous snakes. My wife carries the 38 here on our property and I have switched to the Judge and 410 shells.

BTW, tonight I spent 1/2 hour extrcating a live black snake from meshing that surrounds our gardens. It had woven itself throughout the meshing and one section of its body was too big to get through the mesh and became trapped. All nonvenomous snakes are welcome here.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

As long as "that's not what it takes to love her..."

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Of all the hours I've spent in the woods, as a forester that's a bunch, I've never shot a snake or felt the need to shoot a snake. I did cut a copperhead up with a chainsaw once. It's not like the damn things chase you and try to crawl up your leg.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    but black snakes kill mice and rats and the like.....they are number 1 on the don't kill snake list.....copperheads are number 1 on kill list....

I have explained that a lot of times over 39 years. She's armed and a good shot so if I'm not there to chase them off or capture them, the snakes are toast.

I've killed one copperhead next to the house, if I knew at the time how to do it I would have skinned it and used it for a hat band.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I have explained that a lot of times over 39 years. She's armed and a good shot so if I'm not there to chase them off or capture them, the snakes are toast.

I've killed one copperhead next to the house, if I knew at the time how to do it I would have skinned it and used it for a hat band.
    If I skin another one, that gets killed before I get there, I'll save it for you.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Never understand why guys are so afraid of snakes. They want nothing to do with you. People get bit by crotalus species generally because they step on them. They sure as hell aren't looking to come bite you.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...The area I’ll be in is known to have rattlesnakes. I considered taking a 38 special wheelgun loaded with shotshells just in case I happen upon one. This would be a defense scenario, not a hunting scenario...

I'm fairly certain you can take one step back or sideways faster than you can draw and accurately shoot.

If you can walk or crawl at a slow amble, you can out run a rattlesnake (and they don't give chase anyway). Please leave the snakes alone when you visit their home.

From the performance I had if you are close enough for it to work the snake probably is biting you already. Better off just watching your step.

Or just watched as you obliviously passed by.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...BTW, tonight I spent 1/2 hour extrcating a live black snake from meshing that surrounds our gardens. It had woven itself throughout the meshing and one section of its body was too big to get through the mesh and became trapped. All nonvenomous snakes are welcome here.

Years ago I used bird netting to keep birds away from the blueberries. I stopped using it after I had to cut two black rat snakes out of it in less than two years.

They really get tangled up in that stuff. In both cases it had cut into their skin leaving scars that let me identify them for many years after.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    As I mentioned, I’m definitely not hunting them, I’d much rather leave them be or not encounter them at all, I just also like to have options besides hoping that I have a clear path to run to. I’m well overweight with rebuilt knees and this will be on rocky mountainsides. I will also have 6.5 and .338 caliber rifles should a large predator show interest in my juicy hide. Thanks for the info everyone, I guess it’ll be worth the cost to try a box for testing purposes.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like extra pack weight (you don't need to be carrying) to me.

I'm pretty sure there's no aggressive snakes in Montana, so planning to shoot one will be pointless as it's going to slither away on it's own, or it bit you because you stepped on it.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    My 2” J frame is pretty light and I’m not going to bank any venemous creature being non aggressive. My best friends daughter has been bitten twice, 2 more times than I’m comfortable with.

Top Bottom