• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Wife went to the farm last week...Fridge went out and is not repairable (and with the smell I wouldn't even drink a bottled water out of it) so the house reeked...Wife went out on the back porch and sent me this photo....With the text, "We're coming home...) I went down Monday to check on the fridge and to deal with the spider..I checked one bucket and he wasn't there...Wrong bucket...Went out the other side of the porch and there he was in a 1 gallon pail we use to catch leaks..About the size of my hand...I thought "snake load?" but didn't want to risk shot coming back at me...Sprayed him with hornet spray...A lot...Thought he was dead and then he rose up out of the foam after about three minutes like a scene from a 50's SciFi film....I smashed him with my walking stick.....Worse part was she had not bolted the door from the back porch to the house and a breeze had flung it open...If I would not have went up and killed it I wouldn't be able to sleep in that house.....

DfAc9c3WAAATSJE.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    That's a nice lookin little critter...when I was in CO on Ft Carson I had a Black Tarantula with an 8" leg span...folks stayed out of my room. We called him Fang...many funny stories ensued.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    In the 1980s we had a cabin in Pike County. I vividly remember going into the bathroom one morning, taking a seat upon the throne, and then noticing the HUGE spider which was covering and overhanging the toilet brush. On the wall bracket. About 8" from my naked leg.

It took three flushes to get him down.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Ya what are those? Wolfs?
    We had tarantulas in the deserts I've lived but these guys I'm not use to. Hows their bite? Got them in my basement and garage and they act a bit more aggressive than the tarantulas I've played with. Unless you get a tarantula off the road after they've been spooked by a passing car. Then if they can't reach you they will shoot you with the spiky hairs on their back.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Just a wolf spider - completely harmless to people, but not to other insect vermin.

And what makes you think there aren't others inside or nearby?

Oh I know they are....I shine the light in the field at night in fall/late summer and see six little eyes looking back at me.....Green....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have an unhealthy not warranted fear of spiders.....Snakes? No problem...I just can't handle spiders...No logic but it's a real as rain....

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Oh I know they are....I shine the light in the field at night in fall/late summer and see six little eyes looking back at me.....Green....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have an unhealthy not warranted fear of spiders.....Snakes? No problem...I just can't handle spiders...No logic but it's a real as rain....
    Do you like mosquitoes and flies? All you gain by killing spiders is more of those nasty creatures. I much prefer to have the spiders around to help keep the populations of those biting flying critters down some.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I read in a magazine, probably National Geographic, that no matter where you are in the world there is likely a spider within 3 feet of you.

Yeah, but not that big!

When cleaning out my grandparents place, I carried some cushions on my shoulders - the cushions looked clean... I looked carefully because I was told it was infested with spiders... nothing.

About an hour later I had tiny red marks right where that cushion touched me - I presume teeny, tiny spiders bit me.

That's right Indiucky, up here in Canada a spider never gets larger than a quarter. And they're really polite and carry little bottles of maple syrup to make the flies taste better.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm ok with spiders unless they're too close to me. I'll never forget being in the spider house at the Memphis Zoo years ago. I was looking in the terrarium that was supposed to be housing a bird spider. I kept looking for it, thinking it has to be around the rock looking thing in the middle of the tank. Then, I realized the rock-looking thing was the spider. That thing was huge.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Back in the late 70s was living in a remote area of Texas between Conroe and Huntsville, in a wooded swampy area. Lots of critters, lots of insects and reptiles. Was taking a shower one morning. One of those wolf spiders had made a home under a stainless steel shelf in the shower. Was rinsing the shampoo out of my hair and noticed something rather large darting back and forth under the suds between my feet, somehow it never hit my feet before, more than just a little startled, I almost forgot to open the glass door before jumping out of the shower. Shut off the water and there was one of the largest spiders I had ever seen. Looked like a slightly smaller version of a tarantula. Wadded it up in some paper towels and threw it in the trash can. Thought it was dead. But the next morning I was shaving and looked down at the trash can, and that thing was sitting on top of the trash debating whether or not to eat me for breakfast. At that point I sprayed it with some Raid, that was the end of it.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Back in the late 70s was living in a remote area of Texas between Conroe and Huntsville, in a wooded swampy area. Lots of critters, lots of insects and reptiles. Was taking a shower one morning. One of those wolf spiders had made a home under a stainless steel shelf in the shower. Was rinsing the shampoo out of my hair and noticed something rather large darting back and forth under the suds between my feet, somehow it never hit my feet before, more than just a little startled, I almost forgot to open the glass door before jumping out of the shower. Shut off the water and there was one of the largest spiders I had ever seen. Looked like a slightly smaller version of a tarantula. Wadded it up in some paper towels and threw it in the trash can. Thought it was dead. But the next morning I was shaving and looked down at the trash can, and that thing was sitting on top of the trash debating whether or not to eat me for breakfast. At that point I sprayed it with some Raid, that was the end of it.

So,
    Were you surprised at how high your voice can get. :):

Top Bottom