Future of hunting & shooting in Indiana is evolving in the wrong direction?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Anyone concerned about Indiana DNR direction in the future? now?

With gun, ammo and sporting equip. sales at all-time highs;

federal funds from 11% Pittman-Robertson taxes should be (are) flooding the coffers?

Then how come?

IDNR is turning free F&W area shooting ranges in to PRIVATE operations? ala Deer Creek, Rodebush, Atterbury and others?

Closing ranges Mondays & Tues. ala BMV Sun. & Mon.??

Allowing Turkey hunting on PRIVATE grounds all day, but

F&W areas only until 1 pm. like it was since 1980's?

Allowing popular-caliber rifle Deer hunting on PRIVATE ground

but limiting even Federal public lands to so-called pistol calibers?

Charging license fees for stamps, such as state duck stamps &

the infamous state game-bird stamps without even printing

stamps anymore? Sure they made you deface them with signatures but at least they were keepers for scrap books.

Charging for Spring & Fall Turkey licenses when a Spring hunter can't find time to hunt or is unsucessful

should be able try again in the Fall? without paying another fee?

Do we have any organizations in Indiana that are asking these questions of the IDNR?

When I tried to learn more about the deer rifle seasons it was the NRA that was helping and that's great.

But where are concerned Indiana hunters to turn? Anyone know of a group to address such issues? Anyone care?

Future of hunting & shooting in Indiana is evolving in the wrong direction? IMHO which makes me sad & mad

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You hunt the king's deer at the king's sufferance, that's the way it is.

As voters we don't have much say in this area as it's rarely something that's on leadership's radar, so the bureaucracy makes the decisions.

A powerful lobby group might be influential, but that's going to take organization and lots of cash.

PS

I ask that question every year turkey season starts really late, why?:dunno:

The only relevant answer I would expect from the bureaucracy is, because we say so.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    You hunt the king's deer at the king's sufferance, that's the way it is.

As voters we don't have much say in this area as it's rarely something that's on leadership's radar, so the bureaucracy makes the decisions.

A powerful lobby group might be influential, but that's going to take organization and lots of cash.

PS

I ask that question every year turkey season starts really late, why?:dunno:

The only relevant answer I would expect from the bureaucracy is, because we say so.

Turkey season start: at least has a biological reason. Hens nesting are less likely to get shot. and toms are more vulnerable since hens have ducked away.

Closing F&W area ranges on Mon. & Tues. is to save a buck on wages while flooded with federal funds they brag about how they are increasing public lands in Hunting book while limiting deer rifles to pistol calibers on said new lands they boast of?

And when the king is getting FAT on Pittman-Robertson funds, they spend it on Deer Creek privatetized and the king gov. Holcomb & wife show up at grand opening for publicity stunt?

Because "we said so" is not good enough for me. and I'm sure others are with me. I don't think it would take tons of money to start fixing the future not so much for me, I'm past it.

But future hoosiers deserve better than we are getting now.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    By the way, I think we had some kind of Revolution to change that king thing?

Yes, I know most of our hunting & property laws trace back to English law and the king, peasants and such....

I just think hunters & shooters deserve better.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Turkey season start: at least has a biological reason. Hens nesting are less likely to get shot.

Which is comparable to being as stupid as someone who can't tell the difference between a hen and a tom.

I'd prefer to see the fall season done away with and the spring bag limit increased to two toms/person.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    While it sucks they are closed Mondays it is better that they have a day scheduled for maintenance instead of randomly closings.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    We are blessed with a dnr that is against sportsmen. I think they do what they can to Pimp us over and take opportunity away.

The dnr commission doing away with bobcat season proposal before other came to vote did it for me. them allowing a bunch of liberals opinions dictate the management of a predator population that is booming shows to me they are incompetent and don't take our public comment seriously.

Other states that have a dnr that is sportsmen driven are amazing. The difference night and day.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    By the way, I think we had some kind of Revolution to change that king thing?

Yes, I know most of our hunting & property laws trace back to English law and the king, peasants and such....

I just think hunters & shooters deserve better.

Can't disagree with your opinion, but it's going to require either making this an issue that political leadership will pay attention to in an election or some serious lobby work at the state house. Big cash would get the attention of a law/lobby firm in simon tower who could get the job done.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Many may not be aware that deer hunting in Indiana was banned at one time.
    Early 1900's saw the whitetail deer population all but completely decimated.

Hunting was not allowed for a few decades, until the 1950's.

Deer herds in Indiana are at historic highs today compared to the last century.
    It was NOT the general population that brought back the deer.
    It was the DNR, and wildlife managers that were responsible for there even being a deer season today.

I first started hunting Indiana whitetails in the early 1980's.
    At that time, the deer season was about two weekends long.
    You were restricted to one buck per season, no does.
    You were also required to use ONLY a shotgun loaded with 12 or 20ga, NOTHING else was legal.

I have to laugh when I read these posts about how the Indiana DNR is "against sportsmen".
    I have never had more opportunities to hunt, nor have I ever had the ability (legally) to harvest more deer in a single season.

Seems to me that some hunters today feel like they should be allowed to hunt whatever they want, whenever they want, with whatever weapon they choose, and many don't want to be told they can't hunt on property that doesn't belong to them without first securing permission. Pardon me, but I'm not impressed by the "sportsmen" who feel they should be making the rules.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    How many hen turkeys does one see after noon?
    How many turkeys on the nest?

I still hunt only until noon for turkey.

Because it's cold in the morning and pretty darn warm by noon.
    Most birds turn into ridge runners then...........bushwhacking works, but I'd rather call one in.

Plus I dislike the idea of folks stomping around in the late eve spooking birds when trying to "roost" them.

Hunt til noon, let the birds do their thing uninterrupted after that. Try again next morning.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    How many hen turkeys does one see after noon?
    How many turkeys on the nest?

I still hunt only until noon for turkey.

Because it's cold in the morning and pretty darn warm by noon.

Most birds turn into ridge runners then...........bushwhacking works, but I'd rather call one in.

Plus I dislike the idea of folks stomping around in the late eve spooking birds when trying to "roost" them.

Hunt til noon, let the birds do their thing uninterrupted after that. Try again next morning.

Some of the most exciting turkey hunting I have ever experienced has been between 11am and 1pm and near the end of West Virginia's 4 week long season and Pennsylvania's late season. I was just looking at a wing-bone call from a tom I killed May 23, 1991, Both of these states have traditional hunting hours ending at noon or 1pm.

But I also had exceptional hunting in South Dakota where hunting was all day, early season start around April 15th as I remember. And special permits limited numbers by county.

Private access was easy to get by asking along the White river. I called a tom in within 5 minutes of arriving from a road bed just scouting late afternoon just arriving and I was not ready since I had never called one that late in the day!

Fun and different depending on how you want to hunt as your mileage may vary. Just stay open to new things.

Last edited:

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Which is comparable to being as stupid as someone who can't tell the difference between a hen and a tom.

I'd prefer to see the fall season done away with and the spring bag limit increased to two toms/person.

Yes, I agree two birds in the Spring or one Spring and one Fall. That's how West Virginia has had it since I started hunting there in 1987. But not the IDNR.

For experienced hunters, yes it seems unlikely that you would make a mistake sexing a turkey. The fun part of hunting turkey is just like when I started. I was frustrated from bow hunting deer without success and got talked into trying the new spring sport of turkey hunting. Many a green hunter has an overwhelming by the sight of wild turkey. They are large and long-leg birds like I never saw. Hearing 40 to 50 gobbles from a ridge in Texas county, Missouri in the Ozarks brings back fond memories. New hunters are what keeps hunting going and turkey biologist have erred on side of 1 pm end. Bag limits were 1 tom in each of the two week season in the Spring. Since changed to three week season with similar pattern.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Can't disagree with your opinion, but it's going to require either making this an issue that political leadership will pay attention to in an election or some serious lobby work at the state house. Big cash would get the attention of a law/lobby firm in simon tower who could get the job done.

Couldn't agree more. I wish there was a way to have the IDNR put Indiana Residents in a favored status for hunting and fishing and shooting. States with strong hunting traditions treat their residents with Sportmans licenses that let you hunt and fish for all game in the kings forest, ala West Virginia. But hunting in Indiana has always been a slow, farmer driven state with slow developing seasons for deer, turkey especially. I will give them credit for starting Youth hunting licenses which are very much like Sportsman licenses.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Taking into consideration the opinion of the humane society and liberal professor s from liberal universities and allowing it to change your needed management objectives to satisfy the anti hunting crowd is not for sportsmen.

The dnr takes our input during public comment sessions and where does it go?

Talked to the fur bearer biologist Friday, 5 more years before a cat season is proposed again.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Yes, I agree two birds in the Spring or one Spring and one Fall. That's how West Virginia has had it since I started hunting there in 1987. But not the IDNR.

For experienced hunters, yes it seems unlikely that you would make a mistake sexing a turkey. The fun part of hunting turkey is just like when I started. I was frustrated from bow hunting deer without success and got talked into trying the new spring sport of turkey hunting. Many a green hunter has an overwhelming by the sight of wild turkey. They are large and long-leg birds like I never saw. Hearing 40 to 50 gobbles from a ridge in Texas county, Missouri in the Ozarks brings back fond memories. New hunters are what keeps hunting going and turkey biologist have erred on side of 1 pm end. Bag limits were 1 tom in each of the two week season in the Spring. Since changed to three week season with similar pattern.

I'm not sure what you're saying. I get that lot of people (both experienced and unexperienced) lose their **** while hunting, that's how we end up with people being shot instead of deer or turkey seemingly every year. I don't agree with punishing everyone for the sins of the few who can't control themselves or use the most basic of common sense in the woods. A $500 fine for killing a hen turkey would cut back on the nonsense and punish only those who deserve it.

I prefer to hunt turkey when the toms are actively gobbling and searching for hens. This year was the first I've killed a bird on our farm since 2013 because by the time season rolled around they've been done, and I mean D.O.N.E. with any typical breeding activities. No gobbling, no strutting, no making themselves visible in the fields. I could care less about "hunting" turkey in the fall, shooting one that happens to walk by while I'm deer hunting isn't near the same experience. I'm fine with 2 in the spring or 1 spring/1 fall, I'd just like to have a season that doesn't open 2 weeks late 8 years out of 10.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I can't speak to hunting (haven't hunted in almost 8 years since my boy grew up and moved away), but as to the range issue, how is it worst?
    Let's see Atterbury Range: RO that ensures safety, first class physical layout, no more idiots shooting trash, yup it's going the wrong way.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I can't speak to hunting (haven't hunted in almost 8 years since my boy grew up and moved away), but as to the range issue, how is it worst?
    Let's see Atterbury Range: RO that ensures safety, first class physical layout, no more idiots shooting trash, yup it's going the wrong way.

Yep. I can't speak to current range. I used to shoot a atterbury years ago. Always felt safe. Only really busy on week-ends. Range was open 7 days, free. Didn't see trash everywhere. Good backstops and benches @100 yards, 50 yards, 25 yards and shotgun to the west of those. I have never been to it since they reduced the days to Weds. thru Sun., added a range officer, shop to sell ammo and pay $7 to $10 per half-hour. Yes, hoosier residents are getting less than they deserve. the future gets worse as additional ranges are scheduled to go into private management. Sad trend considering how much money is flowing in from Pittman-Robertson funds. Maybe the king will divert some of funds to pay for roads & bridges.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    On private ground, I killed most of my toms at 8 am.
    Public land.........whole different game.
    Seen toms on roost at 9:30.
    But so many people screwing around.........no matter what time you go.............calling about worthless.
    Locate and sneak in.........mining ground. That terrain trashes your knees.
    Loaded w ticks too.
    But there be toms.
    Still battling a bad foot, so didn't hump the hills and hollers this yr.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Range...........a club cost me 60 bucks a yr.
    Hit Winamac if I want 200 yards.
    Buddy had private range 10 mins from house............but he put in a pond LOL.

Winamac used to be pretty iffy way back.
    Drunks shooting car doors, washing machines............trash (lots of glass).

They redid the range and it's pretty darn nice now.
    PR funds did it?
    Sweet!

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    Facts are a little off

Yep. I can't speak to current range. I used to shoot a atterbury years ago. Always felt safe. Only really busy on week-ends. Range was open 7 days, free. Didn't see trash everywhere. Good backstops and benches @100 yards, 50 yards, 25 yards and shotgun to the west of those. I have never been to it since they reduced the days to Weds. thru Sun., added a range officer, shop to sell ammo and pay $7 to $10 per half-hour. Yes, hoosier residents are getting less than they deserve. the future gets worse as additional ranges are scheduled to go into private management. Sad trend considering how much money is flowing in from Pittman-Robertson funds. Maybe the king will divert some of funds to pay for roads & bridges.

I have lived in states with no public ranges, so I know pain. It costs $7 an hour to shoot which is a bargain anywhere but your own land. And the ranges are great. I am very happy our governor supports shooting sports.
    I like buying reloading supplies at the range which helps me replenish my stock. Atterbury and Deer Creek have great staff. I treat them like friends and get to know them. They always treat me the same, and have helped me be a better safer shooter. I always support my local businesses and hope others do too.

Turkey hunting in Indiana public land is tough. I am 0 after two hard years of hunting and lots of time off from work. I see em but they don’t respond, and there are a lot of people hunting.

Top Bottom