• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I am looking into buying a fishing kayak and hoped to get some different opinions on what is needed. A little about me. I am 6’2”, 180lbs and stay relatively active through work. My primary uses would be medium sized lakes (Patoka being the biggest) and small rivers. I’ve never actually kayaked, but have been in canoes, boats and around the water all my life.

I’m worried that a 10’ kayak would be too small, but a good friend says it should be fine. I think I’ve settled on a sit-on, but now choosing a brand/model has me stumped. They all seem to do certain things well. Does anyone have any experience? I’d like to spend anywhere from $300-$1000.

Currently looking at this one:
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pelican-premium-the-catch-100-10-ft-sit-on-top-fishing-kayak#repChildCatid=50985

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've been looking at them lately myself. I was looking at a 14-foot pedal kayak. A 10 footer might be a little small, but you could make it work. I would also like the kind that are designed for standing. I have dealt with the sit down only kind before. I was out on a lake on a hot day, and it would have been nice to go for a swim. But with the one I had, it would have been difficult to impossible to get out without tipping it, and even if you did get out, no way to get back in without tipping it.

You can find all kinds of deals on craiglist on kayaks. Be sure to shop around, you'll be surprised at some of the deals that are out there. I like the one in your link, but still, I would see what I could find used before spending $649 on a new one.

Good luck.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I not overly kayak experienced, even though I own a couple.

I will point out that through a fair amount of canoe experience, loading and unloading is an issue to be addressed. Weight and whether you'll ever be loading by yourself should be considered. A lot of folks, including myself, have had to learn and adapt procedures to not beat the crap out of the boat and the hauler vehicle.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Anyone ever used an inflatable one?

[video=youtube;EqfA1_M29Yk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqfA1_M29Yk[/video]

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana

[video=youtube;EqfA1_M29Yk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqfA1_M29Yk[/video]

I have another friend that has an inflatable pontoon style kayak. Seems like that would be comfortable, but not worth the added hassle.

I not overly kayak experienced, even though I own a couple.

I will point out that through a fair amount of canoe experience, loading and unloading is an issue to be addressed. Weight and whether you'll ever be loading by yourself should be considered. A lot of folks, including myself, have had to learn and adapt procedures to not beat the crap out of the boat and the hauler vehicle.

Loading into an F150 with a step. I also shouldn’t have too much trouble as long as it is under 100lbs unless it is just very bulky which I could see a 12’ being.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Jackson Kayaks are the gold standard and come in different sizes and configurations. Most all are stand up stable which I personally find is a must. They have tons of well thought out features. They are heavy but I could use load bars to get mine on top of an Outback by myself with no problem.

A used one would be well in your price range.

I had a Cuda and loved it. Only reason I sold it was because I went with a canoe so wife and son could go with me on more trips.

JK Kayaks |

ETA: Sure enough there is one in Craigslist now that is well appointed and a great price. I don’t know this person or anything about his kayak but it’s the model I had and highly recommend it.
    https://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/for/d/2014-jackson-cuda-kayak/6616433961.html

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Before you buy take a look at a small 10 foot aluminum John boat (flat bottom), they are more stable and easy to haul around, more room too.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    While Jackson is fine, the gold standard in fishing yaks is Hobie. Unfortunately because it is the gold standard, it's way out of your price range. Mine is only 9'7", it's highly maneuverable, set up specifically for fishing, and has all the bells and whistles. 10' is plenty long for fishing unless you plan on going offshore. Mine's been in Lake Michigan, Tenn River, Gulf, Atlantic. Longer would have been better in those four locations, but not better for Lake Patoka. The link you provided looks like a very nice entry fishing yak and a good bargain. Never overlook the difficulty of loading/unloading, make plans for how you're going to transport it and store it.
    And above all else, try it before you buy it. I respond in a new thread about once a month at Florida Sportsman about buying a kayak. The overwhelming advice that everyone gives is try it first. Lots of people have decided on a specific kayak only to reject it once they got it on the water. Look around online and find some demo days.
    You are not going to believe how much fun kayak fishing is.
    If you ever get up to Eagle Creek Park, PM me and I'll let you demo my Hobie.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Good point that Hobbie is the premium maker of pedal drive boats but I didn’t include them given the OPs desired usages and budget. I doubt you’d find even a thrashed Hobbie Outback for under 1k and the pedal drive system isn’t ideal for small rivers. Sure you can pull them out and pop them back in but that gets old with lots of shallow gravel runs.

For a traditional fishing kayak I have not seen any that rival Jackson. And I spent a LOT of time researching and trying them.

I do do agree with DCR that if you can try a couple different types and styles that best.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana

My Mother In Law has an inflatable kayak. She doesn't use it for fishing but she takes it on some pretty big lakes. Takes some time to inflate and deflate. It's tough fabric and could fish out of it. Said the stabilizer bar tends to come out sometimes.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I have a Future Beach 10 foot that works fine for me but i am not a serious fisherman. It was right around $200 from Dunham's. I agree with others that Jackson is one of the best out there. I know several people that are serious kayak fishermen that use Jackson, one is even sponsored by them. I would suggest 12 feet and get something that wide enough that you can stand and it's still stable. It can be tough to get your presentation right if you are sitting at water level all the time. You can also look at things like a Vibe Maverick. It is a Stand up paddleboard with a rail system that you can attach things like seats and rod holders too.

Also, make sure you get a good paddle that's the right length. It can make a huge difference.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Jackson Kayaks are the gold standard and come in different sizes and configurations. Most all are stand up stable which I personally find is a must. They have tons of well thought out features. They are heavy but I could use load bars to get mine on top of an Outback by myself with no problem.

A used one would be well in your price range.

I had a Cuda and loved it. Only reason I sold it was because I went with a canoe so wife and son could go with me on more trips.

JK Kayaks |

ETA: Sure enough there is one in Craigslist now that is well appointed and a great price. I don’t know this person or anything about his kayak but it’s the model I had and highly recommend it.
    https://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/for/d/2014-jackson-cuda-kayak/6616433961.html

Interesting enough I'll be in Indy this weekend and this seems tempting. A lot of good reviews and on the upper end of my price range!

Before you buy take a look at a small 10 foot aluminum John boat (flat bottom), they are more stable and easy to haul around, more room too.

Already have a small john boat and honestly just looking for something different. Easy to haul around is not how I've ever described one though!

I have a Future Beach 10 foot that works fine for me but i am not a serious fisherman. It was right around $200 from Dunham's. I agree with others that Jackson is one of the best out there. I know several people that are serious kayak fishermen that use Jackson, one is even sponsored by them. I would suggest 12 feet and get something that wide enough that you can stand and it's still stable. It can be tough to get your presentation right if you are sitting at water level all the time. You can also look at things like a Vibe Maverick. It is a Stand up paddleboard with a rail system that you can attach things like seats and rod holders too.

Also, make sure you get a good paddle that's the right length. It can make a huge difference.

Thanks for the advice. Jackson has peaked my interest. I wouldn't consider myself a serious fisherman, but I do like to have nice equipment. My demanding job only allows me to fish 3-4 a month if I'm lucky. I really need to cut down on other hobbies!

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I have an Ascend H12. It is a hybrid canoe/kayak that is sold brought Bass Pro. It is wide enough to stand up with decent stability, and at 12' long, it glides easily through the water. I use mine in on lakes and rivers with equal comfort. It also works well as a one man duck boat for hunting on rivers, marshes and lakes.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    A couple sites to check out.

https://www.basscrazy365.net/. One of the guys that runs this site is from Bedford. Lots of good information about kayak fishing.

Kayak Anglers | Southern IN | Tournament Schedule. A kayak fishing tournament series in southern Indiana. My saturday's always seem to be busy but they look like fun. You take pictures of the fish you catch and send them in so you release them immediately. You just have to have one of their approved measuring boards and i think they do a special sticker or something for each event that has to be in the picture.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Just an update. I think I have finally settled on a Perception Pescador Pro 12! Almost every review is favorable and the price point is within my range. I’m hoping to pick it up tomorrow and possibly take it out on the 4th!

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Excellent! I'm always glad when another kayak fisherman joins the fold. Where ya going?

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Had an early start this morning and was sitting on a small lake in KY at 5AM cst! The yak is going to take some getting used to, but it was so easy to load and get set up in.
    I have to get a few foam golf balls for plugs since I didn't like the little amount of water in the bottom. The water was very calm and positioning was cake for my first trip. Hopefully there's a little wind next time so I can get used to different conditions.

A few things that need to be worked on:
    1. Paddling without getting water everywhere (Might not be possible, but I would hate to fish colder water)
    2. Using the restroom (Went to the bank and also used a bottle) LOL
    3. Kayak storage layout (A lot of stuff ended up between my legs because of the easy access)

I managed to catch 12-15 this morning and got off the water right at 11AM. I'll call it a success! Happy 4th everyone!

3446nwx.jpg

4c4g.jpg

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Ahhhh man, PERFECT !! Great inaugural trip! Didn't I tell you??!!
    Judicious use of velcro on small drybags will help keep you organized. I have a big cupholder that I put a big red plastic cup in. I put my water bottle inside the red cup and of course it doubles as a bailer (which I've never had to use it for) and also a **** cup which I've used a few times.
    I also keep a sponge and washcloth to wipe things off. In the Hobie I've got a round tackle box in the hatch in front of my seat, but I can keep scissors, a bandaid, whistle, and a very small tackle box in the pockets of my PFD.
    Have a blast !

Top Bottom