• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm very disappointed that Carleigh had to leave so soon and the way it happened. Poor kid!

It would really have helped to have a multi-tool in that situation so you could push the barbed end of the hook back through your skin again, then clip it off.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was a little surprised as much grit as she has that she didn’t get that hook out. If I was going to fish a lot to survive in the wilderness, I would have read up on the procedure.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What Carleigh went through was a heart breaker. I have no doubt she has all the grit in the world needed to survive as long as she'd want to. I really doubt there was anything that she didn't try to get that hook out and I'd be shocked if there was some simple trick or way to get it out that she somehow missed. She's a sweet girl and it's a heartbreaker to see her out of it so soon. I'm excited to watch this season and whoever wins this will have really earned something for sure with this season full of tough competitors.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was a little surprised as much grit as she has that she didn’t get that hook out. If I was going to fish a lot to survive in the wilderness, I would have read up on the procedure.

What Carleigh went through was a heart breaker. I have no doubt she has all the grit in the world needed to survive as long as she'd want to. I really doubt there was anything that she didn't try to get that hook out and I'd be shocked if there was some simple trick or way to get it out that she somehow missed. She's a sweet girl and it's a heartbreaker to see her out of it so soon. I'm excited to watch this season and whoever wins this will have really earned something for sure with this season full of tough competitors.

Didn't she mention that she wished she had a multi-tool?

In any event, she would have needed a multi-tool, pliers, a hemostat, or something similar to be able to get enough traction on the shaft of the fishhook push and rotate until the barbed end came back through the skin. It's not something for the squeamish to do to their own body, but I don't know of a better way once the barb is buried that deep. I doubt if I could get that job done on myself without a tool of some kind.

When my dad went on trips with his Boy Scout troop to places like the Boundary Waters in Minnesota, fishhook removal from unlucky scouts was one of his tasks (he was a surgeon).

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    She said she tried to force it through but felt it was in the thumb tendon. Not going to push that through or get it out the way it came in in the field IMO, if that was the case. There is a method using fishing line that can be done yourself (tricky one handed) but if it was buried in a tendon...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTUQXpg76xQ

Someone could have simply trained her to lip those Grayling and avoided the entire situation.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I remember reading about the fishing line method in Outdoor Life or Field & Stream back 50 years or so ago.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Pulling it out is always an option, but unless it's superficial (like what is shown in that video), it could do more damage than pushing it through.

I've seen another technique where you push the eye end of the hook shank down so it's in contact with the skin, then sometimes you can pull the hook out with less damage, sometimes none at all.

Hah! Here's a version of it:

[video=youtube;CQQ9PelPqQk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQQ9PelPqQk[/video]

The part where he holds the shank down toward the skin makes a big difference over just pulling on it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Anyone surprised the hipster walked off last night? I had him pegged for being an early out, but I figured he'd have a couple weeks in him at least before tapping out.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I thought he would go a little longer but it didn't seem like he tried very hard.
    Millenial :-)

I told the wife, he's a *****.
    He seemed to be clueless. Anyone that has fished much would have been working that river more. He seemed to think you just go to one spot and keep trying that same place over and over.

Oh and the accounting guy that put his fish in a small holding area.... I told the wife immediately, bad idea. You are in the wilderness, the animals there survive by taking advantage of any mistake another animal makes.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Millenial :-)

I told the wife, he's a *****.
    He seemed to be clueless. Anyone that has fished much would have been working that river more. He seemed to think you just go to one spot and keep trying that same place over and over.

Oh and the accounting guy that put his fish in a small holding area.... I told the wife immediately, bad idea. You are in the wilderness, the animals there survive by taking advantage of any mistake another animal makes.

Which is what people (who survive) do too!

That guy apparently has never lived or camped in bear country or paid attention to people who have. People in Alaska go to great lengths to hide and secure or otherwise make their food inaccessible to bears and other opportunistic critters.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    He should have either eaten them or smoked them. Just dumb.

I noticed in one of the videos taken underwater there were crawdads there. That is food or bait for fishing.

Going back to Brad... he bragged he had 50 traps out... he had like 5 on each leaning tree... so he may have had 10 different places trapped. Those loops seemed awfully big for a chipmunk.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My current favorite is Brooke Whipple. I've been enjoying her youtube videos. She even had one where she talks about the .38 she carries when she's in the woods.

Top Bottom