Can 300 blackout pistols be used for hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    Is it legal on public ground too?

Yep, one perk of a 300BO pistol over an SBR/rifle.

From the '17 Indiana Hunting guide:

"HandgunsLegal handguns can be used to hunt deer duringthe firearms, reduction zone from Nov. 18-Jan.31 (in zones where local ordinances allow theuse of a firearm), and special antlerless seasons.Handguns, other than muzzleloadinghandguns, must have a barrel at least 4 incheslong and mustfire a bullet of .243-inch diameteror larger. The handgun cartridge case,without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 incheslong. There is no maximum cartridge lengthfor those used in handguns. Full metal-jacketedbullets are not permitted. The handgunmust not be a rifle that has a barrel less than18 inches. (A rifle with a barrel less than 18inches is not considered a handgun.)Handguns are not permitted for hunting onany military areas.Some handgun cartridges that are legalfor deer hunting include .357 Magnum, .41Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Colt,.45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .35Remington and .357 Herrett.A new state law also legalizes a handgunthat fires the 10mm Auto and 40 Smith &Wesson cartridge.Some handgun cartridges that are illegalfor deer hunting are .38 Special, .38 Smithand Wesson, .38 Colt New Police, .38/200, .38Long Colt, .38 Super, .38 ACP, .38 Colt Auto,.45 ACP, .45 Automatic and .45 Auto Rim. All.25/.20, .32/.20 and .30 carbine ammunition isprohibited."

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Yep, one perk of a 300BO pistol over an SBR/rifle.

From the '17 Indiana Hunting guide:

"HandgunsLegal handguns can be used to hunt deer duringthe firearms, reduction zone from Nov. 18-Jan.31 (in zones where local ordinances allow theuse of a firearm), and special antlerless seasons.Handguns, other than muzzleloadinghandguns, must have a barrel at least 4 incheslong and mustfire a bullet of .243-inch diameteror larger. The handgun cartridge case,without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 incheslong. There is no maximum cartridge lengthfor those used in handguns. Full metal-jacketedbullets are not permitted. The handgunmust not be a rifle that has a barrel less than18 inches. (A rifle with a barrel less than 18inches is not considered a handgun.)Handguns are not permitted for hunting onany military areas.Some handgun cartridges that are legalfor deer hunting include .357 Magnum, .41Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Colt,.45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .35Remington and .357 Herrett.A new state law also legalizes a handgunthat fires the 10mm Auto and 40 Smith &Wesson cartridge.Some handgun cartridges that are illegalfor deer hunting are .38 Special, .38 Smithand Wesson, .38 Colt New Police, .38/200, .38Long Colt, .38 Super, .38 ACP, .38 Colt Auto,.45 ACP, .45 Automatic and .45 Auto Rim. All.25/.20, .32/.20 and .30 carbine ammunition isprohibited."

oh wow, never really noticed this. So 300 BLK is only not allowed on public land in rifle format, but a 300 BLK pistol is good to go because it falls in the handgun requirements? DNR ain’t gonna like my SB3 stabilizing brace.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Wish they would allow SBRs. I am building another lower that will be pistol only, but I like my vertical grip and cushy butt stock.

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    Why no SBRs? Wouldn't an SBR be considered a handgun under DNR regulations?

The hunting guide mentions:

Handguns, other than muzzleloadinghandguns, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case,without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. There is no maximum cartridge length for those used in handguns. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches. (A rifle with a barrel less than 18 inches is not considered a handgun.) Handguns are not permitted for hunting on any military areas.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The hunting guide mentions:

Handguns, other than muzzleloadinghandguns, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case,without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. There is no maximum cartridge length for those used in handguns. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches. (A rifle with a barrel less than 18 inches is not considered a handgun.) Handguns are not permitted for hunting on any military areas.

Ah-Hah! Thank you, sir.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Sounds like I’d be good to go with an AR15 Handgun with a 16” barrel in 300 BLK on public lands? No need to go shorter?

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Yes, use the shorter barrel and put a can on it. That's what I did...

I’ve heard the same about 9 inch barrel. The absolute only reason, is because it’s what I have on my bench! Maybe I should post it up for trade for a 9 inch, but not sure id find anyone

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Just try to not run 220 subs in a 16... Ask me how I know... Stuck about 3" from the muzzle. Woa... Much better in the 10 1/2". Sorry for threadjack...

Rural king doesn't carry the contractor trash bags anymore. Oops, wrong thread...

:ingo:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I’ve heard the same about 9 inch barrel. The absolute only reason, is because it’s what I have on my bench! Maybe I should post it up for trade for a 9 inch, but not sure id find anyone
    Might as well just go rifle with that barrel length. But then you have the HPR stipulations... Nah, cut it down.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    My thought. I think you could get a barrel cut and threaded for 75 bucks.
    I think I’m gonna do that, it’s a nice double star 16” HBAR, might as well cut it down for $75. I found ZR Tactical, but they only thread 1/2 x 28. Anyone else near the fishers/Noblesville area that can cut, thread and crown? I love Allen M’s work, but no time for the drive!

Top Bottom